Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jul 22, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Darth Tater
VIP Dibber

Who best to book with

Looking at a possible trip to Japan next May/June for two weeks. I’ve had a look on the BA website and I’m getting a price of around £3400 for flights and accommodation.

The hotel that I have picked out is the Shinjuku Washington Main in Shinjuku.
Is this a good deal and what do you think of the hotel?
Any help appropriated.

Neil
Old 26 Jul 22, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Solo trip, couple or..?
Flying economy or …?
What date did you get that quote for, roughly speaking?

But great to be planning 😎🤓😎🤓
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Few quick thoughts while wait for few more details.

I picked May to go for my trip in 2019 (and for next year too if they let us in) as it was a sweet spot for the weather.

I do not like the heat, but 2nd week of May onwards appeared to offer it being nicely warm, before the heat of summer started in June. Avoid the first week of May due to the Golden Week series of public holidays. Have just Googled them for next year and:

In 2023, Golden Week is from May 3rd(Wed) to May 5th(Fri). Although April 29th(Sat) is also a national holiday, it's Saturday in 2023 so you will have a total of 5 days off from May 3rd – 5th

The average temp in Tokyo in May is a high of 66.
The average temp in Tokyo in June is a high of 74.

The average rain days in May is 9, June is 11 - or so Google tells me.

Depends how you are with the heat - but if not too bothered by those temps then I would just go with when you get cheapest flights in that time
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Darth Tater
VIP Dibber

I should’ve included all of that it would help.
We are a couple flying economy from Newcastle on June 5th 2023.
I have another hotel that I think would be better it’s called Shibuya Tokyo Rei Hotel.
Old 27 Jul 22, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Darth Tater View Post
The hotel that I have picked out is the Shinjuku Washington Main in Shinjuku.
Is this a good deal and what do you think of the hotel?
Any help appropriated.

Neil
Hotel looks fine, only 6 mins walk from Shinjuku station which is good. The rooms are small by Western standards but these looks slightly bigger than the one we had at JR Mets Shibuya - lovely room etc. but Lordy it was small for two 6 footer guys!

If you are planning a couple of Disney days then it is about 55 mins in each direction to get to / from the parks. Perhaps stay a bit closer to parks and move to this hotel after you have done them? just an idea.
Old 27 Jul 22, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I should’ve included all of that it would help.
I have another hotel that I think would be better it’s called Shibuya Tokyo Rei Hotel.
That hotel is in the area we stayed at last time - Shibuya and we loved it.

For the things we wanted to do, the majority were like a 20 / 30 min walk away which was perfect for us.

The hotel looks fine too - but the only thing I did not see (may have missed it) was that the room having air con - that is a biggie for me but it may not be for you.

For information - the one we stayed at there was called:

Hotel Mets Shibuya

Wonderful staff and rooms were spotless, just small but if you just want to lay your head each night could be another option. Would stay there again but go for one of the larger beds - we went for a small (we found out) double lol.

Due to our May trip being moved so many times from 2020, we are pushing the boat out this time and staying here:

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Old 27 Jul 22, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Do you have a basic plan/ thoughts for what you want to do for your 2 weeks?

For our trip next May it is:
2 nights at Tokyo Disney.
Move to Shibuya for a couple of nights - check out but leave most of our luggage with them and catch bullet train to Osaka.
2 nights in Osaka for one day to look round city, one day at Universal Studios.
return to Tokyo and checkin again at same hotel for rest of holiday.

On our trip in 2019, we did 2 nights at a hotel next to Disney then moved to Shibuya for rest of holiday. We had plenty to do in Tokyo itself but did have a day trip on a bullet train to Kyoto.

For our last night we moved to the Muji Hotel in Ginza - we liked the brand (been to a shop they have in London a few times) and wanted to try this newly opened hotel for an end of trip treat.

Edited at 08:05 AM.
Old 27 Jul 22, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Darth Tater
VIP Dibber

Yes I’ve noticed the rooms are small. I think in the second hotel you can upgrade the rooms so might have a look at that option.

We do plan on doing Disney so will take onboard what you are saying about a hotel.
Thank you.😊
Old 27 Jul 22, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Looking at BA web site there are no direct flights from Newcastle, you fly first to London and from there onwards via BA or JAL.

Other airlines that fly from London that have used / heard good things on are:

ANA - All Nippon Airways - they have a daily flight from Heathrow at 19:00 - we got First and Business seats with them with Virgin points and had amazing flight. Looking at their web site they would take you from Newcastle to Frankfurt for their cheapest flights.

Finnair go via Helsinki but seen several YouTube reports of how good a flight it was for folks getting on in London, but with the war in Ukraine am not sure if this is flying currently.
Old 27 Jul 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Yes I’ve noticed the rooms are small. I think in the second hotel you can upgrade the rooms so might have a look at that option.
If you just need a place to sleep, then you might make do with the smaller / cheaper room - but invest in bed size