Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Aug 22, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melville
Very Serious Dibber

Who to tip and when at hotel check-in?

Couple of scenarios that I'd like to check please:

1) When checking in at Rosen Inn do I tip anyone? I dont recall every tipping anyone at check in before.

2) We are staying 2 nights at HRH and will be getting there early to make use of the Express passes so leaving the bags with bell services. Assuming I dont need to tip the front desk at check-in do I need to tip bell services at drop off AND collection or do the bags end up in your room when its ready therefore meaning just need to tip at drop off?

Any advice appreciated
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

No.

Don't tip anyone at check in unless a bellhop carries your bags and then you will have to tip them. To avoid, decline anyone offering help with luggage.

When leaving luggage at bell service, you only need to tip on collection. Not sure if they'll be kept behind the desk for you or end up in your room. I guess you will have to ask, should they magically appear in your room then no need to tip anyone. The person manning the desk most likely will not be the one delivering the cases to the room so no tip.

For complete ease and peace of mind, just don't tip anyone lol

Edited at 04:44 PM.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have never tipped anybody in a hotel.. other than the cleaner/housekeeper.. because I admire their work..

I park my own car, I am polite at the desk. I move my own bags and do not feel any need to tip anybody.

Edited at 06:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have never tipped anybody in a hotel.. other than the cleaner.

I park my own car, I am polite at the desk. I move my own bags and do not feel any need to tip anybody.
And even then, you're not supposed to do that. Housekeeping is not a tipped position. If you make a complete mess and they tidy up then maybe but not necessary at all.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have never ever tipped a hotel cleaner and never will. Each to their own but not me
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I have only ever tipped the housekeeping staff, but if a staff member went out of there way to help or assist then I would happily tip them given the circumstances
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Andysaurus View Post
And even then, you're not supposed to do that. Housekeeping is not a tipped position. If you make a complete mess and they tidy up then maybe but not necessary at all.
I’ve never heard of anyone who doesn’t tip the room cleaners tbh. Always done this since our first visit in 2004, thought everyone does this when visiting the USA.
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
I’ve never heard of anyone who doesn’t tip the room cleaners tbh. Always done this since our first visit in 2004, thought everyone does this when visiting the USA.
mmmm...no
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
Not me, nor friends and family who live in the US.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whether it is right or wrong in custom, I value the work and dedication of the Housekeeping teams, way above the efforts of a waitress in taking an order, moving plates from Kitchen to Table and refilling glasses etc.

I also value them ahead of any hotel portering.

I shall certainly continue to leave money for the Housekeeping team.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List