Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 22, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We never had foreign Holidays as children. I had my first holiday (as opposed to military deployment), aged 33. Dad was in the RAF and every summer we would go to Mums home town, Falmouth, where we would stay with my Grandparents.

We have been catching up on missed opportunities in 2020 and 21, repeatedly rebooking, cancelling, then holding back unspent money. We therefore entered 2022 with 2 unspent vacations worth of stashed money and 1 lot of spending money.

In April we had Toronto, Niagara, Orlando, Crystal river, Tampa, Venice, Naples.

In October we have SFO, Monterey, SL Obispo, Barstow, Vegas, G Canton, Winslow, Tucson San Diego.

Next April we have Vancouver, Waikiki, N Shore, Seattle.

All of the above are paid for, other than spends for the 2023 one.

We lost the money for the further catch up vacation, when I had to go private for an operation (or wait 18 months for the NHS).

2024 ? .. hopefully Cambodia and Vietnam.. and Thailand.

I feel it important to always have something to save for and look forward to in life! That is why I continue to work.

I also know that I am very fortunate.

Edited at 06:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
When I was younger I couldn't afford to go on holiday for 10 years. I was fine. To me they are still a luxury, not a way of life as such, and I live my life accordingly.
We didn’t have any holidays when I was a child, an odd weekend in Blackpool was it. We were a relatively poor family and holidays just didn’t happen.
The first time I went away for a week was with a friend and her parents to Weymouth, I felt so lucky!

I can still remember watching ‘wish you were here’ every Monday evening at 7pm and just thinking I would never have the opportunity to get on a plane or travel abroad and visiting a long haul destination seemed like a fantasy to me.

I was 21 the 1st time I went abroad to Majorca and I can still remember it felt so surreal!

I think this is why I love our holidays so much now, I never take any of them for granted and am so grateful that I’ve been lucky enough to experience and visit the places we have.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
We didn’t have any holidays when I was a child, an odd weekend in Blackpool was it. We were a relatively poor family and holidays just didn’t happen.
The first time I went away for a week was with a friend and her parents to Weymouth, I felt so lucky!

I can still remember watching ‘wish you were here’ every Monday evening at 7pm and just thinking I would never have the opportunity to get on a plane or travel abroad and visiting a long haul destination seemed like a fantasy to me.

I was 21 the 1st time I went abroad to Majorca and I can still remember it felt so surreal!

I think this is why I love our holidays so much now, I never take any of them for granted and am so grateful that I’ve been lucky enough to experience and visit the places we have.

Similar to me
Our holidays were spent in a four man tent in a field in Devon and then when I got married we did a few years of caravans
So I’m making up for lost time!
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I was thinking this year was catch up year sadly not.
I did squeeze in UAE in January and weekends in Dublin and Malta but the big US trip is a write off on health grounds as was a European cruise booked to replace it.
Still plans for next year are in place , two cruises and tacking on Vegas and Tucson and maybe Orlando after one of the cruises.
Fingers crossed.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I was thinking this year was catch up year sadly not.
I did squeeze in UAE in January and weekends in Dublin and Malta but the big US trip is a write off on health grounds as was a European cruise booked to replace it.
Still plans for next year are in place , two cruises and tacking on Vegas and Tucson and maybe Orlando after one of the cruises.
Fingers crossed.
I remember reading about your health issues, hope you are on the mend now and 🤞 for your planned trips next year! I would love to visit Tucson!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I need to have something to look forward to, I feel so unsettled if I have nothing booked. We were away for 3 weeks in June, but now I'm envious of everyone going on their holidays when I've already had mine 😆 ideally we'd go away October onwards so I have it to look forward to.
We paid off our mortgage last year and I decided we should be able to afford several trips each year ( not all long haul, short haul and UK breaks would be good ) but our dog is elderly and I don't want to leave her in kennels too often, so I'm dithering over booking anything at the moment.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

Me too, holidays are my favourite thing (family included) we had Florida in Feb, Jamaica in June. Florida in Nov again, we have had long weekend breaks in this country too. Next year we have Italy in March, Cuba in May, Jamaica in Nov and hopefully Florida in July/August. I love going away, we just relax and enjoy our time together.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

I'll join Love holidays, always planning. Luckily got Orlando in October still to go this year.
Im always looking at houses too, working out what I'd change - if I'm surfing Dh always asks 'holidays or houses?' 😁 I need to get out more lol.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I’m always planning my next holiday, always looking at flights, hotels, prices, etc, it’s a bit of a hobby now! . I used to love my old job in travel talking to my customers, hearing their plans and excitement.

It’s nice to have something to look forward to. Even if it’s a day trip or a short weekend away!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We didn’t travel abroad as children and couldn’t afford to travel overseas until we were around 40, so we definitely try to go as often as we can afford to now. So, as long as DH has enough holiday leave and we have the disposable money to pay for a holiday, I’m always looking for our next holiday.

We’ve only been back from Athens 2 weeks ago, have DLP in 3 weeks time and I’ve spent today looking for a cheeky couple of days in October for just DH and me when DD returns to uni. Life’s too short, we have to enjoy it while we can 💞
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List