Guidebook Photos: 8
The Disney Do Minus Two Tour 2012 - Day Four - Epcot & DTD

Previously on this tour...

Premature Pretripulation
Day One - Travel
Day Two - Magic Kingdom
Day Three - Rest & MK

Day Four - Wednesday 22nd August

After yesterday’s phone shenanigans in the middle of the night, Louise made sure her phone had been fettled accordingly, so we slept blissfully though the 2am mark. It was only around 6am when my phone started going off in the lounge. Louise gently encouraged me to go and ensure that it cease and desist as soon as was practicably possible.

I of course got to it just as it stopped ringing. It was a work related call, for whom of course it was 11am. I later got an email from them saying they had realised where I was, and ended the call before it was too late. Yeh, thanks.

After a brief return to bed, sleep eluded me so I got up and started to watch TV. I calculated the volume appropriately to make sure that everyone else was also soon awake so we could get a decently early start. In the absence of any actual programmes on the telly, we soon got sick of the adverts, and instead ate breakfast whilst enduring Nickelodeon. It has been some years since the girls have watched this back home, and I can only say the quality has either got much worse or my drugs are wearing off.

Relatively impressively we are ready for the off at 8.30. Our now normal short cut route, Sherberth Road, had very unwelcome road works, and so we had to ensure a ten minute delay. By my calculations, that probably out about six hundred folk ahead of us in the “queue” to enjoy stuff. With only minor huffage on my part we get parked up in Journey 8, and walked into the park without the need of a tram.

Once we had negotiated the turnstiles, or more accurately, tolerated the absolute balloon that we always seem to have in front of us who have only that day been introduced to the concept of turnstiles, tickets and fingers, I, as ever stand on the other side hand out, waiting for everyone to give me their tickets for safe keeping. When I say everyone, I do only mean Louise and the girls. I recognise that I am a minor control freak, but collecting everyone’s ticket would be a little excessive.

With that done, I bestow Ryan upon Rebecca, as I am to strike out alone in the manly quest of Soarin’ Fastpass securement. The women folk decide to do Spaceship Earth whilst I yomp miles across the barren wastes of Epcot to make sure we get to ride Soarin’ before sundown.

I have no recollection of the following photo, so I was either off my face on class A drugs or Louise took it.

As I stride out on full blown man walking style, free from the burden of Ryan, I sail past many groups and families mentally placing myself in front of them in the queue. As I get closer to the Land pavilion, I “kick for home” Mo Farah style, increasing the attractive sweat stains, but crucially putting myself ahead of more meandering family units in the quest for the most sought after ticket in town.

Having gone to all that effort the last thing I need is to make the fatal error of getting into a mini queue for a Fastpass dispensing machine behind some “noob” who is trying to somehow apply their finger print to the Fastpass machine in some way hoping that will get them to the front of the queue.

As ever, I choose incorrectly, and spend a frustrating few minutes watching a Chinese family put their tickets into every hole but the right one until a Cast Member appears to assist them. It was like waiting at the cash machine behind that person who not only wants some cash, but a full statement, balance and a receipt in triplicate.

After an age, my fanny is full of the spoils, and I am off, at a more leisurely pace back towards the big ball. I take a seat on the wall outside the Disney art shop and people watch for a bit whilst I wait. I play a game of guessing whether families are Brits or American. I have a pretty good hit rate, but some are just too easy when they wear a football shirt and have milk bottles for legs.

Next in line in the headline ride pecking order is Mission Space so we head that way. Test Track may usually get the nod here, but it was down. This is not unusual I know, but this time it was down by design as it is undergoing a major refurb, so it can break down better in the future.

I left the decision on which version we rode to Louise, and I’m sure as some form of revenge for my Wishes cock up last night she of course chose the extreme version. The ride was a walk on, and we once again marvelled at the force of nature that is Gary Sinise’s hair.

It was a sign of things to come as the park was to be very quiet today. It has been a good few years since we last did the intense version of Mission Space. Even with the passing of time, my stomach still held a grudge at the enormous efforts it had to make not to expel its contents as we exited on that occasion. On that subject, how horrific must it be if someone does create a protein pizza in one of those capsules? The cleaning up operation must be impossible.

Thankfully, I got through the experience unscathed, and only experience minor knee tremblage, and I have to say it has been even longer since I experienced one of those.

In need of a sit down for about an hour, the perfect next stop is Ellen’s Universe of Energy.

It did indeed take more or less a full hour from start to finish. What an enormous ride/attraction this is.

With our Fastpass for Soarin’ edging closer, we strolled through Mousegear heading for the Land.

As we got to the ride entrance, Louise said she’d be waiting outside as she “f****** hates it”. It is not only flying that unnerves her and the sensation of this ride drains all the potential enjoyment by striking the fear of God into her.

So the three of us go on, and as usual even with a Fastpass it takes twenty minutes to get on. Luckily we get Row 1 which means we don’t have to endure the vista with twenty pairs of trainers dangling above us.

As the ride ended and we descended to the ground again, there was a lady just along our row who was very, very excited, and was making sounds that made me think that some of these seats have special attachments. She even applauded as she got back to terra firma.

Right, enough of this ride enjoyment, it is high time we got some food. Closest eatery wins and we opt for the food court in the Land. They have all sorts of healthy salads and sandwiches here which would make a lovely change from all the fast food and high calorie options we had been having.

So we had a Chinese. Oh, and some cake.

We found a seat and tucked in. My dish was sneakily spicy, and after necking a few forkfuls at my usual fast pace I almost produced a lung right onto the table. With tears flowing and most of my drink drained I recovered composure in time to finish the rest and demolish my cake.

I have since been told that there was a family of Dibbers next to us, who had recognised us, mainly by the girl’s haircuts…and mine obviously. I did think we were getting some funny looks, but with me coughing up internal organs and my oversized fanny, it wasn’t for the first time we had drawn the odd curious glance. I thought nothing of it, and besides I had food in front of me and anyone interrupting that would have to be very brave.

It had been many years since we last did Living with the Land so I insisted that we give it a go, despite the euphoric looks on the female members of our party. In retrospect, once every decade is probably enough.

Apparently they can now grow Alligators.

Exiting the Land, we turn towards the Living Seas, and we see this little chap entertaining a small crowd.

Louise declines another ride (which isn’t something that happens a lot I can tell you) as she wants to catch some sun. So the girls and I head for the clams. Alas, the ride is down, so we have to walk in the boring way. Rebecca “cba” so she goes back to join Louise, leaving just Emily and I to go and look at fish.

We have a fairly quick look around, but even the Manatees are being elusive today. We see a little bit of a dolphin playing with a ball though.

It turns out that the clam Nemo ride thing was down due to someone vomiting on it. I didn’t know there was an extreme option on this ride too.

Reunited we all go across to Journey Into Imagination, which is a walk on. Let’s face it, is it ever anything else? Next it is Captain Eo, and we time it perfectly with the doors opening just as we walk through the entrance and collect our glasses. There was definite non-moving all the way to the end of the row, which pretty much ruined the entire thing for me as I tend to spend all the show planning ways in which I can inflict punishment on those responsible.

The Cast Member introducing the show was so un-understandable that it was only in the final sentence that I actually twigged they were speaking English. I honestly thought they had decided to go with the Spanish version first.

With rain looming we headed across to Innoventions. I spend the customary thirty seconds on a games console before the eyes boring into the back of my head encourage me to move on. Whilst Louise went to the restroom, the girls and I played an interactive game with a pig.

I won’t spoil it but it is themed around saving for the future. Save? What a novel concept.

On her way back from the restroom Louise had looked in the Art Shop, and took us back there to have a decent look round.

There are some lovely things in there. Not least –

Continued...

Edited at 12:26 PM.
mkingdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8

It absolutely was not the price tags that prevented me from buying a couple. As I told Louise, just how would we get them home! ?

As I had not done Spaceship Earth earlier we all went on again.

We stopped for an Ice Cream next. I didn’t have one, as I don’t like to overdo the calories.

I had an Iced Latte instead.

I might have helped Louise and the girls finish their ice creams off, but those calories don’t count as we all know.

The last time we went into Ice Station Cool, I introduced Louise to Beverly, and it was only last week that I stopped laughing at her reaction. Having no chance of doing the same to her again, instead I moved on to Rebecca. I got a sample of the evil stuff, pretended to take a drink and then offered it to Rebecca to try. She more or less necked the lot, and proceeded to display facial expressions never before seen on this earth.

We all had samples of the non-toxic drinks on offer, but being honest they are all pretty rank.

Having done most of Future World, we didn’t feel like tackling World Showcase today so instead opted to leave and head for Downtown Disney. As is custom, we went and smelled lots of things in the smelly bath stuff shop.

I musked up.

Sixty per cent of the time it works every time.

Rebecca is at the “I’m a teenager and my skin hates me” stage, so we had a special facial thing made up for her. The ingredients were like some sort of witch’s potion.

We of course then did the World of Disney, and pretty much every other shop at that end of DTD. Thankfully there was no major spendage. To celebrate I allowed us all to have a drink whilst watching some bloke with his instrument out.

Alas that lasted but one song until the rain came down, and driven by the fear of electrocution he packed up.

With rain in play we went down to the AMC cinema to see what we might watch. After only about two hour’s debate we settled on Ted. However, it didn’t start for ages. I suggested Batman, but Rebecca refused as if we watched that someone would come into the theatre with a gun! Honestly!

So we took a punt on Campaign, the new Will Farrell film. It was hilarious. If you like his sort of thing this is brilliant. Purile, rude, crude and silly. Just the way I like my films.

We also saw a trailer for a film called This is 40. Look out for it. It looks superb.

We left at 8, and set the sat nav for the Teak Neighbourhood Grill. It took a while to get there as it is up in Universal territory, but it was worth the effort. This is a proper local’s place, and quite different to the chain experience you usually get.

We found ourselves a table, and ordered –

Me and Emily – Donut burger

This was quite simply extraordinary. Delicious in ways you cannot imagine. We loved it!

Louise – Illegal Burger

Rebecca – BBQ Chicken Flatbread

Which seems to have escaped being photographed!

It was probably because Rebecca was knackered, and more than a little sulky so taking a photo of her food may have tipped her over the edge.

Louise had a couple of wines and the bill was $52 plus tip.

The drive home saw three quarters of us fall asleep. Luckily I was the remaining awake quarter.

Home and bed by 10.30 dreaming of Donut burgers

Tomorrow – Celebration and DHS
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Yay - first to comment... Fab day. Our first time at Spaceship Earth was last year and we loved it

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Can't wait!loved visualising your lung haha.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
So so funny love the mammoth burgers

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessRebex
VIP Dibber

That doughnut burger looks UH-MAZING!

Good day at Epcot had by all

Ooooh I must get a potion made up like Rebecca (Good name ) as I'm at the stage of 'I work 7 days a week as a chef and my hands are nackered!'
PrincessRebex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
emery66
Proud to wear my Ears

emery66's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great trippie as usual Craig! We were in Epcot on 22nd too!
Old 19 Sep 12, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
highland lass
Imagineer

Louise – Illegal Burger

looks delicious
Old 19 Sep 12, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
l33na
VIP Dibber

You write so well. An enjoyable read. I wish I made notes and took enough pics to write my own report.
l33na is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 12, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Donut and burger, not sure about that hehe... Great read again, thanks for sharing xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread