Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

1 night stopover in LA... what is achievable?

Hi
We have traded off nights in LA so that we can fit in a visit to San Diego instead. We are now just having a one night stopover in LA for a quick visit.
So, to make the most of our time, I need Dibbers experience to help me plan.
We will be driving from Pismo beach straight to LA, staying at Loews Hollywood Hotel. Hopefully be at the hotel no later than lunchtime. So this leaves us all afternoon and evening and maybe a few hours the following day before heading to San Diego.
So has anyone done a very quick stopover in La/ Hollywoood like this ? Will we get to see at least a few of the sites? My DD 15 wants to see the walk of fame, Chinese theatre, have pictures of the Hollywood sign etc.. Maybe Griffith observatory if there is time.
Any tips most appreciated.
Old 22 Jan 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
babekel
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Hi,

I have done a 2day stopover and didn't manage to do much more then this when we were there. We fitted in a stars homes tour and film studio tour (MGM) but we had two full days.

I think the plan you have is very good and you should be able to fit all of that in.

Happy planning.

Indian Ridge Villa - '01 & '09, Orlando Continental Plaza Hotel - '11, Park & Suites Prestige Val d'Europe - '14, Lindfields Villa - '15, Hollywood Historic Hotel - '17, Disney’ Coronado Springs & off-site Villa - ‘18
babekel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

We stayed at the Loews, and the walk of fame, Chinese theatre are right outside, we also had a view of the Hollywood sign from our room, and is not far to drive to so those three can be crossed off your list at least.

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes I have.. the other year we arrived in LA from Anaheim about 10.30 and left about 4.30ish .. In that time we visited the California Science Center and Space Shuttle, Hollywood Blvd inc the Hollywood & Highland shopping centre & Chinese Theatre,

Sunset Blvd, Wilshire, Melrose Ave, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive etc , We just drove ourselves around and stopped off at what we wanted to see.

We've got one free day in LA this year and will probably do similar.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TracyW View Post
We stayed at the Loews, and the walk of fame, Chinese theatre are right outside, we also had a view of the Hollywood sign from our room, and is not far to drive to so those three can be crossed off your list at least.
Excellent, good to know.Thanks
Old 23 Jan 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Yes I have.. the other year we arrived in LA from Anaheim about 10.30 and left about 4.30ish .. In that time we visited the California Science Center and Space Shuttle, Hollywood Blvd inc the Hollywood & Highland shopping centre & Chinese Theatre,

Sunset Blvd, Wilshire, Melrose Ave, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive etc , We just drove ourselves around and stopped off at what we wanted to see.

We've got one free day in LA this year and will probably do similar.
Wow, you really did fit a lot in! We plan to just tick as many boxes as we can in the time we have. My DD would love the Science Center. Is it a long drive from where we would be located in Hollywood? thanks

Edited at 03:17 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Wow, you really did fit a lot in! We plan to just tick as many boxes as we can in the time we have. My DD would love the Science Center. Is it a long drive from where we would be located in Hollywood? thanks
Its about 10 miles from Hollywood.. I think my two were 16 & 12 when we went, it is more for younger children I think, there were a lot of infant/junior schools there, but they still found it interesting.

Its free bar the Shuttle exhibition which is $2 each? Its actually really good you can walk right under the shuttle..

For Hollywood we parked in the Hollywood & Highland Center, from the shopping centre you can see the Hollywood Sign (though you can see it from various places in the area), You then come out onto Hollywood Blvd/Walk of Fame/Chinese Theatre.
TBH we weren't overly impressed with Hollywood so saw plenty in a couple of hours so we moved on elsewhere.

At the time I didn't plan on going back to LA so we just wanted to do as many of the main things as we could.

daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Its about 10 miles from Hollywood.. I think my two were 16 & 12 when we went, it is more for younger children I think, there were a lot of infant/junior schools there, but they still found it interesting.

Its free bar the Shuttle exhibition which is $2 each? Its actually really good you can walk right under the shuttle..

For Hollywood we parked in the Hollywood & Highland Center, from the shopping centre you can see the Hollywood Sign (though you can see it from various places in the area), You then come out onto Hollywood Blvd/Walk of Fame/Chinese Theatre.
TBH we weren't overly impressed with Hollywood so saw plenty in a couple of hours so we moved on elsewhere.

At the time I didn't plan on going back to LA so we just wanted to do as many of the main things as we could.

Thanks Daytonababe. Yes that is one of the reasons we decided to lessen our days in LA and go to San Diego instead. Ive not heard a lot of great things about LA and would rather visit the beaches and Seaworld in San Diego instead. If we like LA, there is always scope for another trip
Old 23 Jan 17, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Tbh we felt that Hollywood Blvd was like Blackpool,. tacky and rundown... My DD who had been desperate to go was pretty disappointed by it really.
Old 23 Jan 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Tbh we felt that Hollywood Blvd was like Blackpool,. tacky and rundown... My DD who had been desperate to go was pretty disappointed by it really.
Relieved I've switched our plans then. We are only going to LA for DD, Otherwise we would have continued down the coast. At least she can tick it off her list and get her photos if she is disappointed then it's No loss as we needed a stopover for a night anyway night before we head down to Coronado to the beach

Edited at 07:00 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List