Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Well that was awful 😢

The moving in went smoothly, everything fitted in the car and she has a lovely big room.

Only two others had moved in when we left, a boy who seemed very quiet and a girl who seemed really nice but had her boyfriend in tow.

Another girl moving in tomorrow who DD has been chatting to online but she’s also bringing her boyfriend for the weekend so I’m really worried DD’s going to feel a bit out of it.

DD cried a bit which is so unlike her, she never cries so when she does, I know it’s real.

We’ve just arrived home now and I feel quite lost 🙁
((HUGS)) MM. I hope your DD settles in quickly.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Just had a text from her to say she’s been chatting to the others in the kitchen so I feel a bit better now.
So pleased she got back in touch with you and she is chatting to others there now. I think that moment of leaving must be awful for both student and parents. There’s that feeling of being lost and alone and no one wants to leave. I know we felt the same when we left our boys, and although it was quite a few years ago now, I still remember the feeling.

I guess all the other’s moving in today feel the same as your DD and most will be friendly and be trying to make friends too. As the weeks go on I’m sure they will all feel more comfortable and settle in.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Now when my eldest went to Newcastle uni I cried all the way home, but I must confess I was just a tad envious, just for a second or two... all those exciting possibilities... I’m surely not the only one?

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Now when my eldest went to Newcastle uni I cried all the way home, but I must confess I was just a tad envious, just for a second or two... all those exciting possibilities... I’m surely not the only one?
My dh was the same , said he wished for a second it was his time again.
I was just an anxious mess
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Reading all your comments about your children starting at Uni has brought back memories of when we took DS to UWE in Brtstol, I cried all the way home to Devon after leaving him. That was 8 years ago. I have another goodbye to go through in 3 weeks as he is leaving to live in Canada on 03/10/2019. He feels he may have a better future in Canada and has decided to try it, he has settled on Vancouver. I am excited for him but also very sad but our children have to live their own lives. I am taking him to Exeter bus station as he is catching the Megabus to London, I expect I will be crying all the way home and the house will feel very empty when I get back as DH is on holiday in Marrakesh when DS leaves (just bad timing). I have DD at Uni though and we will be seeing her in November.

Edited at 10:13 PM.
Floridag1rl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
Reading all your comments about your children starting at Uni has brought back memories of when we took DS to UWE in Brtstol, I cried all the way home to Devon after leaving him. That was 8 years ago. I have another goodbye to go through in 3 weeks as he is leaving to live in Canada on 03/10/2019. He feels he may have a better future in Canada and has decided to try it, he has settled on Vancouver. I am excited for him but also very sad but our children have to live their own lives. I am taking him to Exeter bus station as he is catching the Megabus to London, I expect I will be crying all the way home and the house will feel very empty when I get back as DH is on holiday in Marrakesh when DS leaves (just back timing). I have DD at Uni though and we will be seeing her in November.
I know how you feel, my DD will be leaving for uni next weekend and I know I will cry and miss her dreadfully but we will still see her often as she will come home for visits. She is our third and last child to leave for uni.

However, the saddest goodbye was six years ago when our eldest left the UK to teach abroad in South Korea. It felt so final but he wanted to take the opportunity to work and travel abroad. After 18 months he moved to Vietnam to teach and loves it there. We visited him there this summer and loved seeing him so happy. We keep in touch lots, but it is sad we can’t see him as often as we would like, but he’s so happy and has such a good life so we are happy for him .

I hope your son enjoys his new life in Canada too xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
What halls is she staying in?
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
I already know I will be hoofed out by teatime on Saturday, as DDs block are intending going to spoons all together to get to know each other 😊.
Yep, my daughter is going to Spoons on Saturday night with her flat of 12 to get to know them, as Freshers doesn't start until Sunday.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think what helped me was that before we had even dropped ds off we had already made a solid plan of when we would see him .
We’re nearly 5 hours drive from him but we planned to come down for a night just to spend the day together about 5 weeks after we had dropped him.
We now do this quite often so it’s breaks up the time in to chunks of 5/6 weeks.
Next time we see ds will be October as he has a reading week so we booked an air bnb in Cornwall so not too far from him ,means we can spend 4 days together and drop him off on our way home .
Makes it’s so much easier knowing I have a definitive date to see him .
Just a thought ,if anyone is struggling as it’s damn hard ! It is a little easier now but after having him home for 8 weeks this summer it was nearly as difficult as the first time .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Good luck to everyone who is going this weekend. We are supposed to be leaving home in 30 mins but it isn’t going to happen, still trying to fit everything in the car. Ashamed to say I have already had a little sob this morning, trying to get it out of my system before we go.

I am also thinking of my parents a lot as I really didn’t appreciate how they must have felt when I went which is exactly what I want for my DD today. She is wobbly about going and missing her boyfriend.

Hope moving in day goes as well as it can for everyone xxx
fizzypop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List