Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Ben seems to be okay and slowly settling in, he is off to an outdoor screening of Black Panther tonight with some others from his flat. Yesterday he went into Canterbury and looked around. I feel much better that I know he is okay and off doing things.

Great news that Ben is settling in, I think it takes time but by going out and joining in a few things he is making a good start xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
I’ve not posted much but have been reading through and really appreciate everyone posting their experiences. It helps to know I’m not alone in how I’m feeling.

I had no idea the worry would be so emotionally draining, DH and I are constantly asking each other how we think DD is getting on and trying not to contact her every 5 minutes to check she’s ok.
This thread has helped us all realise we aren’t alone with the strange feelings we are experiencing. Georgia doesn’t go until Saturday but I’m starting to feel quite teary about it now, I’m so pleased I can chat on here for support

How is your DD settling? Has she made any friends, joined any societies, started her lectures yet? I think I will be the same as you, wanting to know how everything is going for her. I guess if it’s going well she won’t message so much, any problems she will soon be in touch 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
This thread has helped us all realise we aren’t alone with the strange feelings we are experiencing. Georgia doesn’t go until Saturday but I’m starting to feel quite teary about it now, I’m so pleased I can chat on here for support

How is your DD settling? Has she made any friends, joined any societies, started her lectures yet? I think I will be the same as you, wanting to know how everything is going for her. I guess if it’s going well she won’t message so much, any problems she will soon be in touch 😂
She’s very shy so hasn’t attended anything yet, none of her flat mates had arrived till today so hopefully she will feel more confident about getting out and about if there is someone she can go with.

The logical part of my brain knows this will probably be the making of her and she will be fine once she settles in but the ‘mum’ part is worried sick.

Good luck to your DD when she goes on Saturday...and you. You’ve been such a great support on here to everyone
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

She’s very shy so hasn’t attended anything yet, none of her flat mates had arrived till today so hopefully she will feel more confident about getting out and about if there is someone she can go with.

The logical part of my brain knows this will probably be the making of her and she will be fine once she settles in but the ‘mum’ part is worried sick.

Good luck to your DD when she goes on Saturday...and you. You’ve been such a great support on here to everyone
I consider my DD a confident young adult, and even she was nervous to meet her roommates face to face, I saw her psyche herself up to get out there and introduce herself.
Big deep breath, and smile (and remember everyone is in the same boat). I really hope your DD meets nice people to start finding her way around with 😊.

Edited at 05:59 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you but this thread has been just as supportive for me as everyone else too 😀

My DD is going to have to push herself a little too as she is quite shy at first and doesn’t like ‘new’ situations. Hopefully your DD’s flat mates will help her and she will go to some Freshers events with them. There is such a wide variety of events now, lots to suit everyone, not just drinking and partying
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I think we all worry! My DS is in a very different system being in HK - he seems to be managing well but there have been blips. So hard to not micromanage. He has not been gone for over 4 weeks. It does get easier.

I hope your DD’s flatmates are lovely! The first hello is always the hardest!

And I agree that DisneyDaff has been awesome on this thread

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I think we all worry! My DS is in a very different system being in HK - he seems to be managing well but there have been blips. So hard to not micromanage. He has not been gone for over 4 weeks. It does get easier.

Don’t, you’re making me blush 😂😂😂 I just love the way we’ve all got along so well and shared all the good and not so good times together. Thanks everyone for all the help I’ve had here too xx
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post

I feel a bit embarrassed now for getting so stressed out about it all Our DD is only a 2.5 hour ferry ride away in Belfast, your DS is in HK! What an amazing experience for him
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I feel a bit embarrassed now for getting so stressed out about it all Our DD is only a 2.5 hour ferry ride away in Belfast, your DS is in HK! What an amazing experience for him
It’s still stressful for us all as it’s such an unusual and new situation for us whether they are in Hong Kong or closer to home. I’m sure that once they have all settled, we will feel less stressed too. At least Mel gets good holidays now to visit her son 😂
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I echo what Mel says - thank you so much Disney Daff, you have been a treasure starting this thread and always replying to everyone’s posts.

I think Freshers week can be hard for some, Ben doesn’t really drink so he is put off going to most of the events.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List