Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jun 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Travel insurance for an 18 year old?

I've just realised that dd will not be covered on my bank insurance policy for our next trip as she will have turned 18 and not be in education though that means she'll have to get a job and pay towards her share so will need to sort out a policy for her.
Any recommendations of where to try?
thanks
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My son isn’t in education and we took out a group policy with Aviva. If you already have a policy with your bank I would just call them and ask to upgrade it. I don’t think it is a good idea to have separate policies. It would be problematic if anyone needed to claim and cause unnecessary complications.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pans
Excited about Disney

We had exactly the same scenario when my son turned 19 and was no longer covered under our bank account policy. We gave them a ring and got him added on a single trip basis. I think the cost was around £80 ish. Not sure if that is a good price or not but at least we are all on the same policy. Anyway thankfully he pays his way anyway!
Pans is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Out of interest - do you know when they are officially no longer in education? Think I need to ring our insurer as DS18 will have finished A levels in a couple of weeks so not sure that he will still count as in education when we go away in July?
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydonna
Gone all Goofy

I've just had to check my insurance too! my son turns 18 when on holiday but hopefully will go onto uni in the september so hopefully that classes full time education up to age 24. Im worried now tho with the gap between A levels and uni that he wouldn't be covered!
disneydonna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Having had to claim on holiday insurance last year when I ended up in hospital for five days, I’m going to check with insurance company next week and see what defines in full time education
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
traleegirl
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter is 21 and at university, she got her own policy this time, it was less than £30 and meant I wasn’t worried about whether she was covered or not...
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Checked with our insurance and DS18 is covered for our holiday next month 😀
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve been buying my son an annual policy since he dropped off our bank covered policy at 18. I did a search on Money Saving Expert and for a really good policy for less than £40. He did three festivals, Florida and Croatia last summer so it was a bargain really.
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

thanks for the replies I did check with the bank and they said it would be better if she upgraded her own account after she turns 18 and she would be covered for here existing conditions but that's a while yet and I'm pretty sure I should be able to get a policy cheaper then her paying the monthly fee for doing so.
Might try them again later and see if they would do a single trip cover for her as the person I spoke to just kept going on about the benefits of upgrading her own account
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List