Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Oct 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
R2Tee2
Getting to know the DIBB

Virgin Air Miles...HELP!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the group and am planning our amazing Florida trip for May 2021 with our two young girls.

My husband and I have been planning and pricing things up for nearly a year and got a Virgin Credit Card at the beginning of this year so that we could put all of our every day spending on it so that we could collect airmiles to pay for the flights.

I was just talking to a colleague and they said you cannot just book any flights with airmiles, you have to call them up and they will only give you flights on certain dates at certain times? Is this true? We nearly have enough for one flight so this would be a shame if we are restricted on days and times.

Also if we do not manage to save enough airmiles for the whole party, can we pay for a couple of flights using airmiles and the other two flights by card?

Sorry I am a complete novice here so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks all.
R2Tee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi and welcome.

The person you spoke to is wrong sadly. You can search on the VA website for Miles only flights. So lets say you wanted for example 12th March 20 to 20th March 20 you load the flight dates, then you click on the Miles tab. I would then click on search over a 5 week period to see what pops up.

Now lets be honest. Certain dates they are very rare, certain routes are hard to get, others like JFK are easy etc.

Be flexible and check often!

Also you can do whatever combination you like. For example
1 adult pays cash
1 adult does a Miles flight
1 adult does a Miles plus Money flight
etc etc

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:36 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

You can download the Virgin app or look on the website to book flights, just select the miles option, you don’t Need to ring up unless you have a complicated booking, you can see on the website what reward flights are available over a 5 week calendar, Yes you can book some flights with miles and the other cash. If you have earned the companion ticket through your spend then you will need to ring to add that on. You can even text them now as well to make a booking.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Hi,

Virgin release a limited number of reward flights, so it isn't a matter of if you have enough miles you will be able to use them for a flight.

If there were reward flights available, but say you only had enough miles for 1 or 2 of you, then you could use your miles for them, then pay for any aditional people on a separate booking, you would then have to ask Virgin to link the bookings for you.

If you don't manage to get reward flights, you could always use the miles plus money option instead and use the miles to discount the price of your flights.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Unless its just me, you can't see the 5 week option any more since they've updated the website. Makes it a real pain when searching for the lowest rate miles flights now.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Unless its just me, you can't see the 5 week option any more since they've updated the website. Makes it a real pain when searching for the lowest rate miles flights now.
It is a hit and miss to find it, if there is a way to find it every time then I would like to know. Just when you get used to the layout Virgin go and change it.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
You can see the 5 week option you need to tick flexible dates then once the weeks view comes up select calendar view, that brings up 5 weeks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
You can see the 5 week option you need to tick flexible dates then once the weeks view comes up select calendar view, that brings up 5 weeks.
Thats what I do. The Edit function tab gives you the options.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Thank you, I can se it now
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Also, be aware you have to pay taxes on reward flights. Orlando in economy is about £240 each.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List