Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Feb 18, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

Honeymoon planning! ❤

Hi all 😊

We're just starting to plan our honeymoon for 2019! We're getting married on the 14th Oct 2019 😍

Nothing is set in stone, we're not sure wether to do 2 weeks (preferred), 3 weeks, or something in between 🤔

Las Vegas
Hawaii
Los Angeles/Anaheim

2/3 nights in Las Vegas, just a pop in to see it really, as flying direct to Hawaii isn't an option.

Then on to Hawaii for 6/7 nights for some relaxation.

Then onto LA/Anaheim. We're not sure how to split it, but we know what we want to do.
3 full days at Disneyland/California Adventure.
1 day at Universal Studios.
Warner Brothers Studio Tour
Santa Monica Beach
General LA/Hollywood cheesy tourist sightseeing, possibly Griffith Observatory too.

Any pointers would be appreciated, there's going to be LOTS of questions so apologies/thankyou in advance! 😊😊

Edited at 11:57 PM.
DanSambora85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Wow, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and what a fab honeymoon plan

I've been to all of those places but as different trips i.e. LA, Anaheim and Vegas, LA and Anaheim, Vegas on it's own and San Fran and Hawaii. Please ask as many questions as you like!

My tips to start off with would be to read the trip reports that are in the 'Disneyland California and west coast trip reports' section. You'll get some ideas of what you'd like to see in the different places as there is so much to do. My other tip is to book 2 different hotels in LA - one for Disney and one for LA sightseeing. You don't want to spend your honeymoon stuck in traffic!
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That's not a lot of time on the Hawaiian islands. Did you know which ones you wanted to visit? I heard a rule of thumb is, one week = one island. We went, for the first time, last year for nine nights and we stayed on Oahu and Maui. I am counting down the days until I can go back! We've done Vegas / LA / Anaheim / San Francisco a few times, and Hawaii beat them all, hands down.
Old 5 Feb 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

Hi both!

Yes - seperate stays in LA and Anaheim are DEFINITELY on the cards, just struggling to wrap our heads around the logistics of it all!

Hawaii - we want to stay on Oahu. We don't mind spending a good chunk of our accommodation budget on the Hawaii segment for a really nice hotel/spa, as the other places will be more of a 'base' for our adventures.

How would I go about booking it all? Travel agents or a DIY booking? How would I go about booking such a complex flight arrangement? Or would you suggest anything easier? Thanks in advance! ❤

Edited at 11:39 PM.
DanSambora85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I booked the flights and hotels separately. Flights were booked as a mult-stop through Expedia but I'd also look at Opodo (and then compare the price to booking direct).

We stopped in Waikiki and it was a good base for exploring. It's very 'American city' so suited us for food, drink and shopping but I think I'd look at a resort on the north coast or Aulani for relaxation and hire a car. We booked organised tours to explore the island, Pearl Harbour and a luau. These were booked through Viator and Expedia. I don't want to sound negative about Waikiki as it was great but there were other parts of the island that were absolutely stunning, photos don't do it justice.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

So if it's just 'Oahu that narrows it down

We really liked Waikiki Beach - recognising it for what it is - party town on the beach.

We loved the shopping, bars and restaurants. We stayed in a cheap hotel (wouldn't recommend) because we wanted to be in the central area. We were a few minutes' walk to the beach, the central shopping street, and probably 15 minutes' walk to Ala Moana Mall.

From WB we toured the North Shore (wonderful), the East Coast, Pearl Harbour, Byodo-In-Temple (a must for DH but probably not on most first visitors lists I suspect!), some really good walks including Diamond Head. We had some quite crazy nights, especially Hallowe'en (best night out I've ever had!). In summary, loved it.

We then went to Ko Olina (Aulani) for two days' total relaxation, before heading to Maui. Maui was my favourite for the wonderful beaches, scenery, walks, Tradewinds, laid back locals and the welcome

We had a car to get around, which outside of Honolulu was really good fun. We didn't enjoy the H1 freeway through Honolulu and rush hour seemed to be taking place whatever time we drove on it!

I wouldn't bother with a car again if I was just staying on WB, but we did love the freedom it gave us to tour around the island.

Happy to help with anything you like? I literally can't wait to go again.
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Sorry - should have said - we booked reward seats with Virgin to get to the West Coast and back, and with Hawaiian Airlines to Honololu, then onto Maui and back to the mainland. Hotels I booked separately through the usual booking places, but I've been doing that for 20 years in the US now so that feels normal anyway!
Old 8 Feb 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sorry - should have said - we booked reward seats with Virgin to get to the West Coast and back, and with Hawaiian Airlines to Honololu, then onto Maui and back to the mainland. Hotels I booked separately through the usual booking places, but I've been doing that for 20 years in the US now so that feels normal anyway!
We've done Orlando 'DIY' before but this is proving a little more complex but we have plenty of time to get practising/planning

Looking like flying into Vegas, then onto LA (with a few days in Anaheim), then out to Honololou might be the easiest route to take.

Already earmarked our Oahu hotel (Moana Surfrider)
Old 8 Feb 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DanSambora85 View Post
We've done Orlando 'DIY' before but this is proving a little more complex but we have plenty of time to get practising/planning

Looking like flying into Vegas, then onto LA (with a few days in Anaheim), then out to Honololou might be the easiest route to take.

Already earmarked our Oahu hotel (Moana Surfrider)
If you've DIY'ed Orlando before, you've totally got this!

If it was me... I'd do Vegas or Anaheim outbound and then whichever you didn't do coming home. That way, you avoid the double downer of leaving Hawaii and heading straight home.

The Moana Surfrider is just beautiful! We had drinks there, overlooking the ocean. It was well out of my price range, but you're on your honeymoon so you totally deserve it!

We've actually been umming and ahhhhing about where to go for our three weeks' holiday this year and your post just tipped me over the edge; literally pressed book an hour ago on flights to Oahu. Totally your fault