Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bigkitty266
Apprentice Imagineer

All staff are expected to attend a staff meeting once a month and get paid to attend, I was just trying to make the staff meeting a little more fun.

We have tried nights out but usually this is met by them not having childcare so only the same ones show.

It isn’t so much of icebreakers I am looking for it more the team building and understanding that we need to pull together during the working day.

I have recently put up this in the staff room, to no avail really.

It was also looking to make a staff meeting more fun too.

Old 16 Feb 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Urgh team building exercises! My worse nightmare! Hate them.
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I've been on loads of courses with team building and ice breaking exercises and to be fair it makes me groan. The spaghetti and marshmallow building by far the worst🙄
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bigkitty266 View Post
All staff are expected to attend a staff meeting once a month and get paid to attend, I was just trying to make the staff meeting a little more fun.

We have tried nights out but usually this is met by them not having childcare so only the same ones show.

It isn’t so much of icebreakers I am looking for it more the team building and understanding that we need to pull together during the working day.

I have recently put up this in the staff room, to no avail really.

It was also looking to make a staff meeting more fun too.

I’m not sure what expectations you have from the sign, but I’d be offended if my boss put that in the staffroom as really it’s just saying that everyone is lazy and nobody is doing their job properly.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Also, I think social time helps for team building. Like someone before mentioning the donut day. Just bringing people together to talk. No one likes everyone that they work with, and getting them to do meaningless tasks isn’t a good way of getting them to rub along.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I don’t like “team building “ games, if you are a new team though, maybe the 2p or 10p game? You get a bunch of 2p or 10p pieces, everyone picks one from the pile, then tells of a memory or what they would have been doing in the year printed on their coin.
If it’s an established team maybe a quiz (any subject you want).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I've been on loads of courses with team building and ice breaking exercises and to be fair it makes me groan. The spaghetti and marshmallow building by far the worst🙄
Omg yes that one is awful
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bigkitty266
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
The only team building exercise I ever "enjoyed" was doughnut Tuesday.

Once a month we had a staff meeting - always a Tuesday (everyone was available on a Tuesday) - boss bought in a box of doughnuts for everyone to share.
I do little things for my staff nearly every week to show our appreciation and for our staff wellbeing.

As someone said we aren’t expected to like everyone, but this shouldn’t affect our work, we do have to work together so its about trying !

As I said this is new to me, so I just asked for advice

Old 16 Feb 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
Omg yes that one is awful
It was painful!
That and the form a tight circle and then sit, on probably a total strangers lap!
I love the idea of the thankyou gifts above. People are quick to point out the negatives,we have one who takes it upon themselves to report every minor niggle via email. It's a lovely thing to show people you value all their skills.

Edited at 01:40 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Bigkitty266 View Post
I do little things for my staff nearly every week to show our appreciation and for our staff wellbeing.

As someone said we aren’t expected to like everyone, but this shouldn’t affect our work, we do have to work together so its about trying !

As I said this is new to me, so I just asked for advice

Perhaps and I mean this with the best intentions that what the staff need to do is their jobs without the moaning. There will always be little niggly things which happen for every member of staff at all times. The belief that someone else is avoiding doing the "rubbish" jobs or disappears off for breaks etc. This will happen no matter how many team building events happen or not.

I would stop the staff coming to you with moans. The time to do that is at reviews or one to ones. If you don't have one to ones on a regular basis then I would introduce them.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List