Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Feb 20, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Connorsmummy
Trying for More Ears

Flight Snacks

Its been awhile since we've flown longhaul with TUI and I know food isn't always the best so got me thinking about what snacks to take.

There is myself (who can pretty much eat anything), DH who is fussy and 10 year old son who is a bottomless pit.

I was going to take some rolls and meat however have read that we would need to leave them on the plane if we didn't eat them, but id rather take them with us so we could either eat them on the coach transfer or once we get to resort (I absolutely hate food waste).

I was going to take some crisps, haribo and chocolates on the flight as well as rolls or sandwich, assuming these are ok to take into America?

What do you all take on your flight, I cant handle a hungry boy as he becomes a monster he doesn't like a lot of sweets but loves fruit assuming I can take this on the plane as long as he eats it all as cant take into USA is this correct? The fruit will be the first thing to be gone before he has anything else

I will buy some drinks once we are airside incase we don't get enough on the flight (again can use these on the coach transfer or at resort).

Why is it the small things I stress about.
Connorsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Sandwiches, especially meat, are a big no-no to bring into the USA. It's fine to eat them on the plane, but you must bin them if you don't eat them. Same with fruit.

Sweets and chocolate are fine just make sure you declare these if asked by the immigration officer.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
remember no nuts, so no nutella or snickers

my kids always have haribo, pringles, etc
and a pack of baby wipes for the sticky fingers
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m not sure anyone would want to eat any sandwiches after they had spent 9 hours on a plane and as per above no meat products allowed. I do think you maybe over thinking this. I’m always amazed by the amount of food and snack people bring on a flight, it’s only nine hours and if you think about what you normally consume over that period it’s actually probably not that much.

My advice would be have a meal at the airport prior to the flight, I have a couple of fussy ones in my rabble and we always make sure they are fed prior to the flight. I then take some pringles or similar and we’ve also found the little snack brioche rolls go down a treat (other similar pastries allowed) some fruit and a small packet of sweets or chocolate (I’m a mean mum who doesn’t believe sugar and small children in a confined place is all that good an idea &#128563

Try not to worry I’m sure they’ll be fine 😊
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I usually just chuck some snacks in the kids bags, mini biscuits, cereal bars, mini cheddars etc. Then buy a boots meal deal airside so a sandwich, crisps and a drink. Also get some haribo & cherry drops. We rarely eat a big breakfast before we get on the plane - it’s too early for all of us, so just snack our way throughout the plane. My kids are 14 & 12 and all they do is eat at the moment so I’d always rather be prepared than not!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
Sandwiches, especially meat, are a big no-no to bring into the USA. It's fine to eat them on the plane, but you must bin them if you don't eat them. Same with fruit.

Sweets and chocolate are fine just make sure you declare these if asked by the immigration officer.
As you say importing any meat, fish, certain dairy, fresh fruit and veg is a complete none starter and could risk a $10,000 fine.

Those cute little beagles with "do not pet" jackets can smell out more than drugs. They can detect an apple core 50 yards away.

Mick

Edited to add here's a useful guide. You need to open "travellers bringing food etc"

help.cbp.gov/s/sidebar-top-5...language=en_US

Edited at 09:41 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I take sandwiches onto the plane in a small foldable thermos bag. If you buy them just before you get on the plane with some cold drinks inside they stay nice and cool. Of course as others have said, don't try and take them into the US.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

We just take Pringles and a bag of sweets, maybe a boots meal deal
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I don't eat breakfast so if its a mid morning flight I am hungry by lunchtime

I have had mixed results with Airplane food and hate to eat strong smelling foods on a plane ie: Eggs, onion, garlic i'll eat them on the ground but have this weird nausea if they are on a plane!

I take snacks from home which are much cheaper than buying at the airport( following the liquid rules ) and only take in and declare what is allowed into the USA

You can take an empty water bottle through of any size, we take our Sigg water flasks and pop a drop of concentrated squash in ,you can take the robinsons ( other makes available )through security as they are under the liquid allowance) we then use the refill stations after security to fill them up , I like to drink a lot of fluids as I get dehydrated so this will be a full litre of squash.

I don't take meat on the plane but as previously said not a problem as long as you finish it before you get off.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Connorsmummy
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
remember no nuts, so no nutella or snickers

my kids always have haribo, pringles, etc
and a pack of baby wipes for the sticky fingers
I would never take nut containing foods on a flight DS, friend has severe nut allergies so would never take the risk.
Connorsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List