Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Feb 14, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Eavesdropping

Just listening to a conversation at work where they are all talking about tipping only 10% in America, but saying this as if it's a lot! The look I got when I told them it was more like 18% it was as if I'd just told them I hoped their plane crash

Think I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on!
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Bet you are popular
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Oops
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Scarlett's_mum
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Yorkie Girl View Post
Just listening to a conversation at work where they are all talking about tipping only 10% in America, but saying this as if it's a lot! The look I got when I told them it was more like 18% it was as if I'd just told them I hoped their plane crash
It's a Yorkshire thing

Licia
Caribbean Beach Resort - October 2004
Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2006 / 2008 / 2011 /2014/2018
Scarlett's_mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

What would happen if you did only tip 10%?
We go for three weeks and we mainly go to carrabba's, cheescake factory, Hard Rock Cafe and smokey bones so because we visit them a few times in one holiday, we tip well (don't want them spitting in our food on the next visit lol)
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
people dont understnad how much less they get paid, and IMO most the time they deserve 18%, generally ive received better service in america than here, and im a waitress
Old 20 Feb 14, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have friends who save long and hard for their trips to Florida and say they never leave a tip because they are both on minimum wage here (one does bar work and the other is in retail) and nobody ever tips them, when I have tried to explain to them that is expected in USA they say they can't afford it their budget is too tight and if they left tips it would add another couple of hundreds dollars that they can't afford.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
keith&carol
Imagineer

keith&carol's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The trouble with that is that it makes things more difficult for the rest of us. Some servers are ok but others hate having Brits in case they don't get a tip and that impacts on the service the rest of us get.
keith&carol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Here in the States it used to be 15% not that long ago, now the standard is 18%...truthfully more people are likely closer to 20% just because the math is easier.

If you tipped only 10%, nothing would happen. You might be on the receiving end of a hairy eyeball from the server... but that aside, (and if you are OK with the server thinking less of you)... nothing else would come of it.

My advice - if the service was good, stick with 18-20%. If the added tips that are 'expected' here in the US are cost prohibitive, perhaps adjust down the caliber of restaurant you plan on attending to help compensate for the dollars spent on tips.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 14, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I only tip 10% at buffet restaurants.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread