Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My daughter carry's out interviews for a national company and she will often come in after a day of interviews and say she only hired one person or even none. this could be from a list of 10 or 15 people. She says you would not believe what some put down on application forms that when you try to discuss these things they quite obviously have lied about, even down to education results or experience.

Do these people not realise their going to be questioned about these things. She too gets very frustrated.
Old 6 Jul 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Trying to recruit about 12 software engineers at the moment.

Even getting 1 is hard enough - can't really find any that are up to our standards!
Wow 12 is a lot to find Neil. Do you run graduate schemes? Grab them young and guide/train them to your standards. Got my first job as a software developer for Nissan through their graduate scheme.

It was a steep learning curve but after the training they knew me, my skills and my foibles and I knew what they wanted from me.
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Only 12 - I have 56 vacancies for software engineers. All levels. Taking 4 grads and 4 people doing sandwich years as part of computer science degrees too. I really feel I’m working in recruitment and not software delivery at the moment!
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
Only 12 - I have 56 vacancies for software engineers. All levels. Taking 4 grads and 4 people doing sandwich years as part of computer science degrees too. I really feel I’m working in recruitment and not software delivery at the moment!
56, Wow! I though we had it tough!

We're actually taking on a bunch of remotes as well (i.e. European +/- 2hrs of GMT) to widen the search.

We only want Mid/Senior, and a mix of Backend and Frontend.

Spending so much time doing CV reviews, zoom interviews, code reviews... hardly getting any work done either!

If you're in London and want a apprentice-level type engineer then my Son-In-Law is looking for something! He got made redundant from his surveyor job at the start of lockdown 1 and for the past year has been studying a (paid-for) course on software development. Mostly FE stuff so far (html/css/js), and I think some Python as well now. Is starting c# soon I think.
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Wow 12 is a lot to find Neil. Do you run graduate schemes? Grab them young and guide/train them to your standards. Got my first job as a software developer for Nissan through their graduate scheme.

It was a steep learning curve but after the training they knew me, my skills and my foibles and I knew what they wanted from me.
That would be a good idea, but for our company at this time (which is still essentially a fast-moving start-up) we need people who can hit the ground running. We just don't have time to do the training (barely have time to do the recruiting!), although I really hope we do this in the next couple of years, as I feel we should be "giving back" a bit to new starters.
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Based in Maidenhead - so we do stubble to also get people willing to come to our offices - but even with flexibility we need people in 3 days a week. We too have expanded into Poland to try and get a few people there too. It really is a full time job! We do mainly FE and some BE. Would like FS but unlikely with the right experience.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Paying only 30k and requiring a post grad cert … I’m not surprised by lack of quality candidates… and it would explain why people feel that the requirements listed wouldn’t be that strictly adhered to.
Starting salary that doesn't seem so bad, especially if not in London. I know some people who would be more than happy to start on that for a job with prospects. Maybe it could be negotiated up a little for the right candidate
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
I’m available
Me too, SG; depends what it is. 😊
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
I have an interview this evening (the interviewer is in the US) for a job I really want, so if the situation is as bad as it seems from these posts, maybe I stand a good chance!
I do have over 20 years’ experience in the field and am a very good match skills-wise, so that’s in my favour as well of course 😀
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
I have an interview this evening (the interviewer is in the US) for a job I really want, so if the situation is as bad as it seems from these posts, maybe I stand a good chance!
I do have over 20 years’ experience in the field and am a very good match skills-wise, so that’s in my favour as well of course 😀
Good luck folkie 🍀. Hope you get it if you like the sound of it. 😊
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List