Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 6 Jul 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
It was packer, the whole piece was about 7kg, I took the point end (which had a good amount of flat too) weighed in at 4kg.

I paid £30 for it, the butchers is inside Dobbies in Atherstone - it's called Trotters. Quite apt as when I asked for a pork shoulder it came with the trotter attached, they trimmed it off for me to leave me with again a 4kg piece - that was £19.

I used briquettes and initially 4 chuncks of Weber apple wood, followed by another 4 chunks after a couple of hours.
Yes I struggle with the smoke ring sometimes as I only tend to use lump as I was on ceramic but now I’m on the Summit I’ll maybe run briquettes for my next brisket. The briquettes produce more of the necessary nitrogen dioxide. All appearance of course.

I did a poor man’s brisket (pot roast) a few months back, came out very nice for £7 from Lidl.

Edited at 10:36 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Got some pork belly in the freezer so going to get that out this weekend for some pork belly burnt ends to go with a spatchcock chicken or a pork shoulder. 😍
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Robyn89 View Post
Got some pork belly in the freezer so going to get that out this weekend for some pork belly burnt ends to go with a spatchcock chicken or a pork shoulder. 😍
Please post the pictures!
Old 8 Jul 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just got a new cast iron sear grate and half moon top grate for dual zone cooking (mainly reverse searing). Just need a half moon deflector plate now for under the top grill.
Old 9 Jul 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just picked up 4 of these massive bad boy ribeyes from a farm a mile away. £6 each. Aged on the bone. Reverse sear coming up Sunday. I think one will do 2 of us.

Edited at 12:34 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Costco Kamado back in stock. They will go quick and are excellent for the money.
Old 10 Jul 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Cheap meal tonight £2.0 rump steak from lidls reduced section 👍

Old 12 Jul 21, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I did the ribeyes.
On my new divide and conquer setup 2 zone.

The ribeyes I dry brined for 48 hours then covered in pepper.

The dry brining works well, but next time I think I’ll keep it to 24 hours to retain slightly more moisture.
Then I smoked (well didn’t use any smoking wood, just charcoal) the steaks until about 127f inside. I was in a rush as my son declared he was going to his friends house, so did it around 300f instead of 225. Took about 20 mins. I used the charcoal what was left from my last cook, and some of my new Globaltic charcoal as recommended. Wow they are huge pieces in that, you can see the new charcoal in the first pic. Steaks going on the upper grill with deflector in on the second pic.

After they hit temp, the lid went up and the bottom vents were fully opened to get my lower cast iron grate up to searing temp, directly on that lovely charcoal.

Then I seared the steaks for 1 minute each side, then flipping and repeating. This method, the slowish cook indirect and then on the searing heat is called ‘reverse searing’.

End result was good. I personally prefer my steak a bit rarer so next time I’m going to cook to 115 internal before the sear.

Old 12 Jul 21, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Our localLidl has has had some lovely pork belly slices and slabs this week from Scottish producers.
We had it some last night slices marinated in baby Ray sauce for 24 hours and the slab slow smoked and some halal meats smoked for a Birthday party
The best of all was a home made cheese smoked to perfection with homemade nan cooked fresh on the sides of the smoker last minute then smothered in garlic ghee with roasted very ripe tomatoes food of the gods
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Pork etc is always done on a seperate grill when we meet as a family in case anyone questions it
It’s just second nature to us now to respect family beliefs
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List