Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Views on leather sofas

We have seen a sofa we like in John Lewis. It is covered in a shabby chic type of soft suede/but not suede. We have no little kids so not a problem re cleaning. All the reviews are positive but 4 out of 14 mention and show pictures of the leather stretching/sagging.

The sofas seem on the expensive side to me but would really fit well in our lounge and, and this is a big and, they are on 7 day delivery! What I'm asking is sagging/stretching a common thing with leather sofas as never had one before and if so did it bother you? I'd love to be a showhome person but I'm not so I don't mind the lived in look and would use cushions and throws on it anyway.

TIA
Old 30 Sep 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yup, sagging and stretching is normal on leather sofa's.

I hated mine. Sticks to your skin when you're hot in the summer and is cold in the winter.
Old 30 Sep 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I think it depends on the quality, we had a leather suite for 15 years ,it looked as good the day we sold it as the day we bought it.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Yes sagging etc is normal - to be blunt, skin stretches...

We have a couple of burgundy leather recliner double sofas, they are a bit baggy and saggy now, but still very comfortable and the backs are still supportive...

we are "lived in look" kind of people... with 2 kids and a dog you can't not be
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I feel the stretching and sagging gives my sofa character. But as it is aging we are realising the back is actually covered in fake leather which is not aging as gracefully. Sadly it is not up against a wall so can be seen.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We replaced our leather sofa a few months ago. We found it was cold and would stick to it in the summer. It was ok but love and prefer our new sofa .
Tinks2014 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

The big thing about leather furniture is the quality. Good quality leather doesn't stretch as much and it needs to be properly died and not just sprayed.
Bad quality is terrible in a couple of months.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
Yup, sagging and stretching is normal on leather sofa's.

I hated mine. Sticks to your skin when you're hot in the summer and is cold in the winter.
Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
We replaced our leather sofa a few months ago. We found it was cold and would stick to it in the summer. It was ok but love and prefer our new sofa .
Thank you, seems they are marmite!

This is like suede, I think distressed is the term! So they felt warmish when we sat on them and it didn't seem like you would stick or slide on it.

Hopefully JL will be good quality, the samples and sofa we saw it on seem quite thick leather.

Just got to wait for them to show as in stock before we can order!
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

I bought two leather sofas in 1994 - I still have one and it looks fine - although it's ina room not used much now. It really is down to the quality - the two we have now are top notch - they are over 15 years old and still look great.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Thank you, seems they are marmite!

This is like suede, I think distressed is the term! So they felt warmish when we sat on them and it didn't seem like you would stick or slide on it.

Hopefully JL will be good quality, the samples and sofa we saw it on seem quite thick leather.

Just got to wait for them to show as in stock before we can order!
Brushed leather maybe?

They do mark, but it kind of makes them look artfully distressed I think rather than tatty.

I saw a lovely one in Next that we nearly bought, but we just went for normal leather as I knew that the dog would mark the brushed leather too much