Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Oct 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
and now you're addicted to "Tipping Point"

Typical TP question.

"With which musical instrument do you associate a guitarist?"
No thats a Chase question!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
You’ve just brightened my day, was feeling old as I just picked up a referral letter from the doctors and it says ‘this 40 year old woman’ I wondered at first who they were talking about 😂

But I truly have no idea what you’re all talking about! I know that money changed but no idea when and it all sounds so complicated.
I was 11 when decimalisation came in and found it easy to adapt but when our children ask about it they don’t understand it either.
My grandmother and mum always used to convert back to old money and said things were more expensive under decimalisation.
My mum used to tell my 4 children to get her purse and share out the decimals between them.
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
I was 11 when decimalisation came in and found it easy to adapt but when our children ask about it they don’t understand it either.
My grandmother and mum always used to convert back to old money and said things were more expensive under decimalisation.
My mum used to tell my 4 children to get her purse and share out the decimals between them.
Money wise I found it easy to adapt but I still use the old weights and measurements in my head - I cant really get to grips with Kgs, kilometre, or Celsius and have to conserve back to Lbs, Miles and Fahrenheit
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Money wise I found it easy to adapt but I still use the old weights and measurements in my head - I cant really get to grips with Kgs, kilometre, or Celsius and have to conserve back to Lbs, Miles and Fahrenheit
I’m exactly the same still use the old weights miles etc and I still call Starburst Opal Fruits and Snickers Marathon
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I'm 59 but can only relate to temperatures in Celsius. Obviously I know 100F is hot day, but I have to convert lower numberd to C to get a feel for what the weather will be like. Give me a temp in C and I immediately know how to dress for the day.

All other measurements I can happily flip between imperial and metric or even mix the two and still have an idea of the size, weight etc.
Libby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

What was guineas all about? It's like measuring your height in multiples of 1 foot and 1 inch and calling them monkeys. I'm 9 monkeys tall and I weigh 11 ostriches.
Old 7 Oct 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
I’m exactly the same still use the old weights miles etc and I still call Starburst Opal Fruits and Snickers Marathon
And I still give directions in relation to our local Woolworths even though it's been a carpet shop and is now an Aldi.
Libby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
What was guineas all about? It's like measuring your height in multiples of 1 foot and 1 inch and calling them monkeys. I'm 9 monkeys tall and I weigh 11 ostriches.
I often hear in london people saying pony for £25 but “I am going for a pony” has a totally different meaning …..
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Mobile

[QUOTE=tocpe321;15165448]What was guineas all about? It's like measuring your height in multiples of 1 foot and 1 inch and calling them monkeys. I'm 9 monkeys tall and I weigh 11 gol theguardian/notesand...ty%20shillings.
Hope this works I’m not great with the copy and paste stuff
Old 7 Oct 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I'm 59 but can only relate to temperatures in Celsius. Obviously I know 100F is hot day, but I have to convert lower numberd to C to get a feel for what the weather will be like. Give me a temp in C and I immediately know how to dress for the day.

All other measurements I can happily flip between imperial and metric or even mix the two and still have an idea of the size, weight etc.
I am younger than you but I guess it comes down to my parents then visiting USA a heck of a lot and working with Americans most of my adult working life