Notices

Old 10 Oct 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Imagineer

Extract of a piece in the Grauniad with Dr Jenny Harries' thoughts:

“But I think the important thing about this winter is, we are likely to see flu, for the first time in any real numbers, co-circulating with Covid. So the risks of catching both together still remain. And if you do that, then early evidence suggests that you are twice as likely to die from having two together than just having Covid alone.

“So I think it’s an uncertain winter ahead – that’s not a prediction, it’s an uncertain feature – but we do know that flu cases have been lower in the previous year so immunity and the strain types are a little more uncertain,” she said.

Harries also warned that the UK could have a multi-strain flu this year, with lowered immunity, as last year’s Covid restrictions meant that levels of the virus were extremely low.

She said that on average, about 11,000 people will die from flu each year. “The difference here is because we have, if you like, skipped a year almost with flu, it’s possible we might see multi-strain flu – we usually get one strain predominating,” she added.

Harries said there are four strains of virus in this year’s flu vaccine, after taking advice from the World Health Organization (WHO), the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) and looking to countries in the southern hemisphere, where winter and therefore flu season arrives earlier.

“So we’ve got a pretty good array in our toolbox to try and hit whichever one becomes dominant but it could be more than one this year, and people’s immunity will be lower. So I think the real trick here is to get vaccinated in both Covid and flu, but obviously to continue to do those good hygiene behaviours that we’ve been practising all through Covid”, Harries added.

theguardian/world/20...k-health-chief

Nov 2001 - I-Drive ... May 2009 - DL Paris ... Aug '11 - Pop ... Aug '13 - SSR ... Aug '15 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug '17 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb '18 - Cabana Bay ... Feb '19 - Aventura + A/S Sports ... Dec '21 Dolphin and HRH
linnite is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bolto6 View Post
This might explain why my mum who has never reacted to the flu jab has done this year. She had hers on Wednesday and is only just feeling right today.
I have never had a reaction before but this year my arm was really sore for and I felt a bit unwell for around 2 days but the lady who gave me the jab said that this could happen. Hope your mam is ok.
Old 10 Oct 21, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by lyn1 View Post
I have never had a reaction before but this year my arm was really sore for and I felt a bit unwell for around 2 days but the lady who gave me the jab said that this could happen. Hope your mam is ok.
Lyn. I will report back to you on Thursday/Friday about any adverse reaction.

However I intend to take my normal post vaccine (and everything else) remedy. Wine!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Apprentice Imagineer

I had my jab last Wednesday. Yesterday I felt really tired and run down - I assume it's the jab, but who knows. Nearly back to normal today.

A few years ago I had flu and it wiped me out for nearly 3 weeks. 1st week I stayed in bed (Christmas day included) and when I went back to work after the school holidays I kept having to sit down or lean against a wall as I was so tired. I've never felt so bad with flu.

Since then I always have a jab, even when I had to pay for it.
Libby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We got ours a few days ago.

Both our arms have been sore, swollen and red. OH much worse than me.

Last year we had no reaction at all.

I am sure it will pass in a day or two.

Edited at 05:59 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had mine booked for today but it was cancelled as the pharmacy didn’t have enough trained staff to administer them! They have no staff on weekends of evenings and because of my broken foot I can’t drive there before work or on lunchtimes
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Had mine today as did DH will see how it goes but must say arm starting to feel really quite sore now

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm booked to have covid booster and flu jab at the same time next week, am expecting very sore arms!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Just booked mine, I'm not 50 until May next year and so I have booked in at Boots for £14.99 in a couple of weeks time

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JulieB01
VIP Dibber

JulieB01's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
had mine this morning as part of my diabetic review, don't usually have a reaction but am expecting one this time.

More concerning was the weight I have gained during the last 12 months .. I knew I had put on weight but must admit the numbers were scary

Welcome to our own Home From Home

4 bed/3 bath Golf Course Villa with Pool and Games Room

New for 2019 ...Twin room converted into beautiful full bed with "Paris" theme

Licensed under Mgmt Co Collective License: DWE5811363

JulieB01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List