Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Oct 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

Mamma Mia it’s Greece

Pre travel/travel day

So with 3 trips to America cancelled/moved we decided that we really needed to get away and 11 weeks ago booked a trip to Crete. We didn’t know if it would actually go ahead or not with the traffic light system but in September Boris announced that travel was going to get simpler so we were hopeful. Fast forward to two weeks prior and our Covid passports were in our hands and our day 2 pcr tested booked.

Travelling are myself and my 2 daughters Phoebe 23 and Jas 20. Jas has a lot of social anxieties but has been doing fantastically well recently. We haven’t been on an all inclusive holiday since 2011 so looking forward to just relaxing and not doing much at all. It was very strange having to pack knowing we didn’t have laundry facilities and for a short haul flight.

We’re going to be staying at the Chrissi Amoudia hotel in a sea view bungalow.

Saturday 9th October - got up and started working through a list as long as my arm with all kinds of chores ranging from washing and ironing to clearing some space in the freezer for my mum to drop off some treats. All done by 1pm, loaded up Phoebe’s car (hers is better than mine), got changed and set off at 1.30. A nice easy journey as it was the weekend and arrived at the long stay car park just before 3.30. We didn’t have to wait long for a bus and we’re soon pulling up at the North Terminal.

A short walk to premier inn where we played the usual game of lift yo-yos and checked in for our two rooms - one of the good things to come out of the pandemic is that rooms are currently dirt cheap.

Took a quick trip across to the terminal to M&S to get phoebe a white chocolate milk shake. Good news is that they’re now doing individual cheese protons again - jas doesn’t eat ‘plane food’ as she doesn’t like the smell so always has cheese and crackers but on our last trip to Florida in 2019 they only sold full size blocks of cheese. Ended up purchasing a whole lemon tart which Jas said she would have for dessert instead of getting one in the restaurant as well as some Percy pigs. Jas then decided she was starving and wouldn’t last until dinner therefore needed a steak pie from WH smith.

Back to the hotel, it was now just after 5 so we thought we’d head to the restaurant to see if we could get in ahead of our 5.30 reservation. Turns out they don’t open until 5.30 so got a nice glass of wine at the bar

First in the queue for the restaurant - almost felt like rope drop - and ordered fairly quickly. We wanted to be back in the room ready for Strictly Come Dancing. Food was nice and the restaurant remained half empty, just like the terminal - never seen an airport so empty.

We watched tv in the girls room and parted as soon as it was over. Had a bath and washed my hair to try and save some time in the morning as it was an early start. I finished a book that I was reading (one less thing to carry tomorrow) and turned in at 11. I’m not a great sleeper so wasn’t sure just how early it was going to be for me...

Sunday 10 October - woke up just after 1 and it was very peaceful. You can tell the hotel is not at capacity as there is no corridor noise, no doors banging. Despite the quiet, sleep eluded me. Alarm was set for 4.15 and when I was still awake at 3 I knew that would be it so picked up the phone and started typing this. Perhaps I’ll nod off on the sun bed this afternoon.

Quick shower and a re-jig of case. Text the girls to make sure they were awake/ok and we met in the corridor at 4.50

Check in/bag drop was well organised with one queue than the split into different directions depending on vaccination status and whether you’d already checked in online.staff were checking the PLF and the date of the second vaccination. Got rid of the bags and then went back downstairs to m&s to get Jasmine’s cheese but despite google telling me it was open 24 hours, it wasn’t yet open. Headed to security instead which was not very busy and all straight through without any bag checks. Girls had a minor spat as Phoe had picked up jas’ laptop but she hadn’t seen her do it so panicked about where it had gone. Phoe got herself some new Ted Baker flip flops and I went to boots to get some cetraben as Phoe forgot to pack it and her skin is flaring up. Quick stop for drinks/magazines and it was time to head to the gate. We had left Jas on the seats while all this went on - this would never have happened on previous trips as she would have been too worried about strangers talking to her. Progress ✅ Just as we were going through the passport check to board a couple across from us were being stopped as one of their passports was issued in September 2011 and they didn’t realise that the extra months no longer counted in the EU.

Borded, gave the crew one of those carry bags of heroes. we’re told that we are delayed due to the amount of aircraft heading to Crete and that we needed to be staggered. We also needed to wait for the passport duo’s bags to be off loaded. Sanitized our area to within an inch of its life - Phoe was a germ phobe before the pandemic so is even worse now. Finally took off at 7.45. We had pre-ordered some cheese toasties and chips but it would have been better just to order on the day as those people got theirs at least 45 minutes before we did.
We had a crying baby In the row next to us who pretty much cried the whole time. They kept trying to feed him but he wasn’t hungry so was then gurgling and choking on the milk. The dad had to keep being told by the crew to put his mask on. Flight went quickly which was good as we normally fly premium economy to the US so did feel a bit squashed.

Landed to clear blue skies and a temperature of 25° with the heat hitting is as we got off and boarded a bus. A very short queue at immigration compared to the US! The agent didn’t utter a word, just stamped the passports - a bit like America but without the third degree! We then went up an escalator where two police officers were checking the PLF - trouble is they were too close to the top of the escalator so we diced with death there and then all they did was look at the QR code - they didn’t even scan it so they have no clue where we are!

Just over an hour on the bus and we arrived! It’s far too hot to be dressed in a jumper and jeans! Checked in - spray sanitizers everywhere. Gave the hotel people some Cadbury chocs too. Got assigned a top floor bungalow and stood in awe of the porter who carried 2 suitcases at a time up a mahoosive set of stairs, I was sweating like an Olympian just carrying the hand luggage - but then I was dressed for winter!

We quickly opened the cases and grabbed what we needed to be able to head out for the last hour of sun as it was 4.30 by now - we need to learn to have an ‘on arrival’ bag within the case. Out we went to find some empty beds with one in the shade for Jas who doesn’t really like the sun while trying to eye up where we would want to position ourselves tomorrow. Set up camp and I then headed straight to the bar as we desperately needed to rehydrate.

Discovered that the soft drinks are like Peter Kay’s Rola Cola 😱which could cause a bit of an issue. I also got a paradise cocktail - can’t remember what was in in though - need to get a pic of the menu. We played a couple of games of cards and then Jas adjusted her sunbed and it collapsed so that was her done and she went back to the room. We followed 10 minutes later and properly unpacked after more sanitizing.

We can’t get the a/c to work and the fridge also seems to be not cool and we have no bath plug. Addressed these with reception on the way to dinner as well as asking for some more pillows and a sheet.

Dinner - jas was worried about not finding anything she liked as she’s a bit fussy and when we arrived at the restaurant she was also worried about protocol re where to sit etc. we found a table and sat her down and then went to check with what we were doing - masks on all the time whilst moving in the restaurant and disposable gloves for handling the utensils - very well set out. Food all looks lovely and restaurant beautifully clean. Ever since out first all inclusive when the girls were small phoebe will traditionally have a plate full of carbs for each meal - pasta, chips, bread roll. Things have changed only slightly as she now added some Greek salad. She’s a bit worried as she has a gluten intolerance so will no doubt adjust as the week goes on. Jas tucked into a plate of chips and spag bol followed by ice cream.

Purchased some bottled water and a sprite on the way back to the room (a/c working, fridge noticeably cooler, sheet, pillows ad plug delivered) and sat on the balcony playing uno while enjoying the tunes from the mini disco and hoping the stray cats weren’t going to pay a visit.

Went to bed at 10 which was really 8 uk time but we were all shattered.

Sorry for such a long post, I am 99% certain that the rest of the week will be much shorter!

The trip from Phoebe’s perspective:

Greece trip report

Pre travel day

I woke up at 25 last 6 and text mum and Jas to say this time tomorrow we’ll be getting read to start boarding! Almost immediately fell back asleep and woke up again at half 8. Jas then came home from her paper round and started to show me the playlist she’d made ready for the car journey to the airport. Mum then entered the room asking what time I was getting up to start helping with her list of jobs, my job later turned out to be wiping out the fridge!?

After I was up, I don’t know where the hours went before we left at half 1. I’d managed to paint my toes, lose a few card games to Jas, not wipe out the fridge, book a days annual leave and watch reels on insta of garlic bread.

We left for the airport at 1:30 with Jas’ playlist set to go. Jas wanted mum to drive us because it’s less stressful and I sit there as a happy passenger where as when I drive, mum sits there and flaps every 5 seconds that there’s a distant brake light 50 miles ahead and we must start slamming the breaks on hard enough so she feels as though the car is slowing down!

Several “I AM BRAKING” and “ I CAN SEE THE CAR I’M NOT BLIND”’s later, we arrived at the airport in just over 2hours. Hopped onto the transfer bus and pulled up at the North Terminal at Gatwick shortly after.

We checked into the Premier Inn where mum got confused with the self check in kiosk things abs we had to then go to an actual person to check in and get our room keys. We were then in the rooms, Jas and I in one and mum in the other. A quick rest and then over to M&S to get the goods, white chocolate milkshake and some other goods.

We’d booked a table at the restaurant within the hotel for 5:30 and headed down just after 5 to see if we could get in early and ordered a drink at the bar. Mum then announced she regretted not getting a mini Prosecco at M&S but got a glass of Rosè instead.

Jas had steak and mum and I ordered half the menu to share between us, she did then order her mini bottle of Prosecco. I made the mistake of asking for a gluten free menu so the waiter Antonio was very concerned I may suffer and sue him if I ate all that we’d ordered.

Back up to the room to watch Strictly Come Dancing. I love John and Johannes! I started to choke on I don’t know what and thought this was the end! Jas said she’d never seen mum move so quick to get me a drink to stop my immanent death. Mum then left after to go back to her room and I started to faff with the cases. Jas turned the tv off and I’d said that I thought we could have it on in the background whilst we’re sorting our stuff out. Her reply was “Phoebe. We have to get up at 4am”. She wasn’t impressed.

We ran through our alarm scheduled for the next morning and went to bed knowing we wouldn’t sleep.

Travel Day

I was still awake at 00:45, 2:30, 3:40 but as soon as the alarm went off at 4am I’d fallen asleep!? My next one went at 4:25 and I heard Jas move slightly and then the last one went off at 4:30. I instantly said no and opened my eyes to both mum and Jas sitting opposite me, fully dressed and just staring at me! I was so confused.

We’d packed the few bits in the case and headed to meet mum in the corridor. We walked over to Gatwick and I discovered I really struggle being in charge of two wheely suitcases and just cannot get them to go where I needed them to go! Mum faffed around in M&S to get Jas some cheese for her crackers on the flight but they weren’t open yet so we had to now go on search in the rest of the airport to locate some! We did then find some babybels in another shop.

Checked in and bags dropped, mum again got confused with the self kiosk bag drop and Jas had to step in and take over. Through security where Jas and I fell out because I’d picked up her laptop and moved to the side so she could re organise her bag but because I’d picked it up she kicked off because she didn’t know where it had gone.

Treated myself to some new Ted Baker flip flops in duty free to get over the fall out and our gate was then called. As we we were going through to the airplane a couple were being told they wouldn’t be getting on as the girls passport was issued in September 2011 and the extra 3 months she had on there was no longer applicable as we’d left the EU!

Onto the plane and antibac’d the entire row to make sure there were no germs. Mum and I had a toastie and chips halfway through the flight. My 3hrs were spent watching some Grey’s Anatomy and a few games of cards where Jas won every game.

Once landed we stepped off the plane to feel the heat and onto a transfer bus to the terminal. A very quick check of our passports and a passenger locator form and onto baggage claim. The cases took forever to come through but we weren’t the last. Through the airport and onto the transfer bus and an hour or so later we’re pulling up outside the hotel.

Checked in and chucked them cases in the room and grabbed what we needed to head down to the pool and we’re on the sunbeds! Only for a few hours but the sun is well worth it. Back up to the room to unpack and get ready for dinner.

Down to dinner where I had a whole plate of carbs as I won’t touch the meat in a different country and can’t say I’ll eat the fruit or salad either! I did have some mushrooms in the rice though so surely that counts. Jas and I both had icecream after as well.

Back up to the room where I was stuck sharing a bed with mum and the air-con on all night which meant I’d potentially freeze to death. We’d played some more cards games where I won once and Jas won the rest. I’m not a fan of UNO where you have the whole if you can’t go keep picking you a card until you can!? What’s all that about?

Finally in bed and ready to not get some sleep next to mum trying to be on my side of the bed and snoring! Wish me luck x
Old 12 Oct 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Love your duet trip reports! Looks absolutely fabulous there, looking forward to reading more.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

Thanks Lou - earthquake will feature in day2!