Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
I have to admit my youngest didn’t like her name (Ffion) when she was younger, people struggled spelling it, saying it and you could never get anything with her name on - unless someone went to Wales!

Now though she loves that it is something a bit different.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
Here’s what I’ve learnt. Don’t ask for peoples opinion. If they don’t like it you will doubt your choice. And it is YOUR choice. 🤣

I loved Sadie for my little girl, but everyone said no to it and I’ve regretted it since I asked. 😓

Bear in mind that if it’s different or an unusual spelling it will be hard to get things for her/him with their names on it. Which isn’t a big deal for me, but kids don’t like missing out on things.
I 100% agree. I was set on a name for our Daughter but my SIL said ewww no, why would you call a baby that? It was Victoria and was going to be shortened to Tory (she was thinking about the Beckhams). I also was thinking of Jaye and that got the 'no' when I told people. I so wish I'd have stuck to my original now.

If you like a name, its your child, use the name

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

My daughter is Catherine, because of my obsession with the Tudor period and my love of Wuthering Heights. By coincidence she is the same age and spelling as the future queen. See I'm posh me!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

You need to think what the child names will be as an adult if they want to be lawyer will they be at a disadvantage because of their name ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Don't forget to check how the name will sound with your surname.

The Peacock family obviously hadn't when they named their son Drew!
jim jehosofat is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Don't forget to check how the name will sound with your surname.

The Peacock family obviously hadn't when they named their son Drew!
I genuinely know a worse one, I don't think he uses Wayne anymore.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

As others have said, it is your child your choice, but it is thier name so again as others have said think about how they will live with it.
When I read endevour I thought straight away it sounds like a team name from the apprentice, or a name given to a battleship or space shuttle.
Personally I prefer a name name, rather than a word name. But its none of my business! Dont be swayed. My middle son I wanted to call Zac but my then mother in law played her face so he ended up with three names Patrick Alexander Zac. Everyone calls him Patch.
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I wouldn’t be put off by names not being available on things, as most things can be easily personalised now. I’d hate to have a name that was constantly misspelled or mispronounced though. I’m a teacher and I dread reading some names from the register as I know I’m going to butcher the pronunciation. There are also some kids who are too quiet to tell you that it’s wrong too, so I’ve gone all year saying the wrong thing and don’t get told until parents’ evening.
This is the big thing for me... I also work in a school and some of the names we get, I refuse to say them until I know the actual pronunciation.
We have Irish names, then it's normal names spelt completely different. Them there's some that I'm sure are just made up or 2 names mingled in together.

Our family(nieces and nephews) have a mix of Irish names and traditional names. We go from Caidan, Fionn and Oísin to Patrick, James, Conor, Sean, Thomas, and Michael lol... then we've got a Cadhlá, Cara, Aísling and Aoíbhe to Grace, Alice, Molly, Lily, Anna and Ellie-Rose.

I'm loving the name Sadie though❤❤ I'll have to keep that one in mind myself for the future.

What I always say is picking a name is easy enough, but you have to remember the child will be with that name for the rest if his/her life, what might sound cute for a baby may not be cute for them when they are a teenager or adult.
I've unfortunately known some children to be bullied because of their names 😡 or they say often they hate their name because its not a "normal" name. I've had a child in my class one year hate their name so much they refused to answer to it at all, and told us and their friends they had a different name. It got to the point their parents got it legally changed to the name their child wanted. They chose a simple common name, whereas before they were named after a TV show character. The difference in the child was amazing, so much happier, not as angry and smiled do much more. They even held a new christening ceremony and had a party afterwards.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My 2 Children are respectively named:-

'Whats for dinner' and 'Dad I'm short of money'

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I was really set on a name for my DS but when he was born it didn't really suit him so we chose something else.

Also, no one in our house can usually find personalised items. We quite like it that way as it shows we've not got "common" names

Eta We've all got normal names, just not so popular now.

And don't hyphenate names, I've had years of being told "we only asked for your first name" then my dad getting upset that the whole hyphenated name wasn't used!

Edited at 01:11 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List