Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Worth having a watch of this video, explains the con of air heat pumps perfectly.

2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I’m considering fitting infrared heating panels in the house my son is hopefully buying (it doesn’t have gas). They appear to be cost effective compared to electric central heating, although the infrared panels work best when fitted to a ceiling which seems odd to what we are used to but they are lightweight and thin and there isn’t an issue of furniture getting in the way of them.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Btw our loft is well over 270mm insulation and we have cavity insulation retro fitted but how do we sort out the foot big airspace
Under the suspended floors?
My house has suspended floors and I looked in to the insulation when I first moved in.

All flooring in every downstairs room would need to be removed, a breathable membrane laid across the underside of the joists, sealed at each wall, then breathable insulation laid between all the joists supported by a mesh.

I worked out that it would take longer than my expected life span to recoup the the cost from the savings in my heating bills and that was me doing it DIY!

Edited at 08:55 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Just a point about well insulated new builds.

My Son has a 2018 new build and in the Summer months it is all but impossible to live in! The insulation makes the rooms unbearably hot and the windows although they open as one would expect are not as big an area as on older houses so the air flow when opened is less.

Quite a few Dibbers have mentioned this on here over the years.

So the answer then becomes install air con and all the costs associated with that!

So now they are proposing making houses even more insulated? Mmm, not for me.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Just another way to make money not needed.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

My Son has a 2018 new build and in the Summer months it is all but impossible to live in! The insulation makes the rooms unbearably hot and the windows although they open as one would expect are not as big an area as on older houses so the air flow when opened is less.

So the answer then becomes install air con and all the costs associated with that!

I have a loft conversion built 20 years ago that is well insulated and it gets so warm up there that air con is a must.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
My house has suspended floors and I looked in to the insulation when I first moved in.

All flooring in every downstairs room would need to be removed, a breathable membrane laid across the underside of the joists, sealed at each wall, then breathable insulation laid between all the joists supported by a mesh.

I worked out that it would take longer than my expected life span to recoup the the cost from the savings in my heating bills and that was me doing it DIY!
That's interesting as that is what was done in the kitchen area but the floorboards were rotten so needed replaced anyway. The rest of the house, upstairs and down we were thinking of putting ply down because you can see the floorboards through the carpet (I have pale carpets) but that was a big enough job! Maybe what you have said is what neighbours have done, but they have gutted it and aren't living in it so makes sense!

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

I'm sure if new builds with south facing gardens weren't marketed as such a premium plot then that would help! Our front faces south but with plenty of trees, the back is north but we have a conservatory which buffers it. Luckily it is heated though so comfortable to use all year.
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
My mother in law got no gas but has oil which dose her fine the place is hot in winter and cool In summer so will this be the next big thing oh gas is bad for the environment so let’s all go to oil.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
My mother in law got no gas but has oil which dose her fine the place is hot in winter and cool In summer so will this be the next big thing oh gas is bad for the environment so let’s all go to oil.
No, oil is considered the same as gas if not worse for the environment!
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
No, oil is considered the same as gas if not worse for the environment!
Thank you