Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Oct 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Exactly this, I get so envious of peoples flight prices say in February or say May during school time then you look at the summer holidays and boom they go double or treble in price.

I love being a teacher but can’t wait to retire to go during the cheaper times of course I could just win the lottery
Of course most people who can’t go for three weeks or a month are jealous of you too. it works both ways .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Of course most people who can’t go for three weeks or a month are jealous of you too. it works both ways .
Exactly. I'm not allowed to take more than 2 weeks off work in one go so end up going for 10 or 11 nights to give myself a day or 2 to get over the jet lag before I go back to work. I'd love the luxury of 3 or more weeks.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sneeks85
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Exactly. I'm not allowed to take more than 2 weeks off work in one go so end up going for 10 or 11 nights to give myself a day or 2 to get over the jet lag before I go back to work. I'd love the luxury of 3 or more weeks.
I used to think like this, then last time I decided to maximise my holiday time and went back to work the day after we landed. I got over my jet lag quicker than ever! I think it made me so tired I actually slept right through the next night! So doing the same next year now, though I hope it's as successful as last time 😬
Sneeks85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I guess it all depends on your budget and what you have been used to. I have been previously lucky to get amazing flight prices, for school holidays, so have been a bit spoilt. We are flexible in that we will travel from the North West to Glasgow, London and have driven up from Miami and never book with a travel agent. For now though, sadly I think it will be a good while before we can go to Florida again.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
never book with a travel agent.
Now that depends. Ive had some stonking deals from barrhead travel before now. They used to have access to city of london BA flights that used their weekend hours flying from edinburgh to balearics. These were small 90 seater 2x2 business planes with large seats. they were run on charter but effectively BA and cheap.

Up till 2019 we flew the last week in august annually for less than 400 return for 4 of us with luggage, we could only find these flight only deals from barrhead, they never appeared on skyscanner et al as they were usually package charters.

Some TAs are handy at tracking ghost flights that are running to keep slots open going to odd destinations, Hays travel can get some really weird indirect flights that are cheap and not too bad on changes.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Just to add a vote to the indirect option. We are flying last 2 weeks of August next year Manchester to Miami via Heathrow and returning from Tampa to Manchester again via Heathrow. With an overnight stay (2 rooms) in a Hotel on Miami Beach it is coming in at just over £600pp. There may be cheaper deals than that but we were more than happy with that (flying from Manchester is a big plus for us) being from Liverpool. As others have already said with a bit of work it can be done and the advice on here is invaluable and certainly appreciated by me. Hope OP you get the deal you are looking for.
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by scousepete37 View Post
Just to add a vote to the indirect option. We are flying last 2 weeks of August next year Manchester to Miami via Heathrow and returning from Tampa to Manchester again via Heathrow. With an overnight stay (2 rooms) in a Hotel on Miami Beach it is coming in at just over £600pp. There may be cheaper deals than that but we were more than happy with that (flying from Manchester is a big plus for us) being from Liverpool. As others have already said with a bit of work it can be done and the advice on here is invaluable and certainly appreciated by me. Hope OP you get the deal you are looking for.
Something I’m always interested in is how long is your travel time in total, I’m on the outskirts of Liverpool and last time we flew with virgin the 1015 flight out of Manchester. We left our house at 6am and we where in our hotel in Disney at 4pm local time to our total travel time was 15 hours.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

dont forget immigration. MCO can have a number of planes landing with large queues at immigration Some mitigate with the Dublin trick, others use different "first touchdown" airports to get through immigration then an internal flight. We are trying MLB next year ( a wild card, it could end up being low staffed so no quicker!), obviously it is all a balance of in air time vs immigration vs transfer time vs price...

historically we have flown direct to MCO and I would say donestic airport entrance to hotel is around 14 hours ish. Thats with a historical 2 hour before and about an hour at immigration plus 30 min get car, get setup etc.

I will be monitoring these doing the same GLA to MLB next year to see how early to GLA (maybe 2 hours isnt enough in these covid times)

edit. just did a full price up out of curiosity. Tui, 8th august GLA 14 nights 2A 2C staying at rosen inn with breakfast. Minivan rental with sufficient 1M$ insurance, 14 day disney tickets. £7937.

now the tickets you can get cheaper but a minivan plus insurance for 1.1k isnt too bad in the current climate of silly car hire. That being said you can probably find cheaper smaller than minivan (or take the free coach transfer and hire a car locally near hotel for less). I would say this is not a million miles away from reasonable for school holidays. Mess around with hire, tickets, cashback and you could knock maybe 500 off that.

Edited at 08:52 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
dont forget immigration. MCO can have a number of planes landing with large queues at immigration Some mitigate with the Dublin trick, others use different "first touchdown" airports to get through immigration then an internal flight. We are trying MLB next year ( a wild card, it could end up being low staffed so no quicker!), obviously it is all a balance of in air time vs immigration vs transfer time vs price...

historically we have flown direct to MCO and I would say donestic airport entrance to hotel is around 14 hours ish. Thats with a historical 2 hour before and about an hour at immigration plus 30 min get car, get setup etc.

I will be monitoring these doing the same GLA to MLB next year to see how early to GLA (maybe 2 hours isnt enough in these covid times)

edit. just did a full price up out of curiosity. Tui, 8th august GLA 14 nights 2A 2C staying at rosen inn with breakfast. Minivan rental with sufficient 1M$ insurance, 14 day disney tickets. £7937.

now the tickets you can get cheaper but a minivan plus insurance for 1.1k isnt too bad in the current climate of silly car hire. That being said you can probably find cheaper smaller than minivan (or take the free coach transfer and hire a car locally near hotel for less). I would say this is not a million miles away from reasonable for school holidays. Mess around with hire, tickets, cashback and you could knock maybe 500 off that.
I flew into MCO in 2018 and 2019. On each occasion the immigration hall was empty and I was through in 10 minutes. In 2019 I landed at 5.25 and I was at Beach Club by 7.05. I caught the Magical Express.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
I flew into MCO in 2018 and 2019. On each occasion the immigration hall was empty and I was through in 10 minutes. In 2019 I landed at 5.25 and I was at Beach Club by 7.05. I caught the Magical Express.
You have done well. Worst at MCO was 4 hrs 20 mins from joining queue to reaching baggage reclaim!
Best was Boston, 28 minutes from stepping through aircraft door to sitting in a taxi on the concourse.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List