Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 1 Nov 21, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Anthem Adventures with Andy - Day 2 Sea Day

We woke reasonably early this morning, around 8ish following a really good night’s sleep – the beds on the ship are really comfortable, and we had lots of pillows so no issues like the previous night!

When we had checked the activities for the day, there was a Q&A scheduled with some former England football players associated with Wolverhampton Wanderers (I believe they also did some coaching sessions for the younger cruisers) which Andy was interested in going to. As my interest in football is zero, I was more than happy to enjoy a lie in while this was on, and we had plans to go to breakfast following the session.

It was held in the Two70 venue and apparently was very good – I’m going to have to take his word for it, but following his return, I was already showered and dressed for the day (fortunately with no after effects from the cocktails of the previous day!) so we headed up to Windjammers, the buffet restaurant for some breakfast.

I had a quick check on my phone to see how far we had travelled and we were just off the coast of Cornwall

and despite my fears on the weather it was a bright sunny day – no sight of the rain I had been expecting!

As on my previous cruise, this was busy and we were seated right at the back of the restaurant, but at least this time as there were 2 of us, there was no danger of losing the table while at the buffet as we could take turns!

We both had a good breakfast (although the scrambled eggs were not the best!) and then decided to head to the Solarium to find a couple of sun loungers to chill for a few hours.

The ship was busier than the last cruise I was on, and due to the cooler weather in October, more people had headed to the covered areas around the Solarium pool rather than the open decks, so there were no loungers to be had! We headed to the other covered pool area and found 2 loungers and settled down to enjoy a chilled morning.

It was around 11am by now, so we decided it was late enough for cocktails so when the server was passing we ordered a couple of drinks – an Ice Ice Baby for Andy and a watermelon margarita for me. The server quickly returned to let me know they had no watermelon syrup! So I also ordered an Ice Ice Baby and that was when our day 2 cocktail challenge was started – who could drink the most cocktails today!

Well given they were basically a non-glowing Glowtini, this one was in the bag!

We had a chilled few hours just reading, drinking cocktails and chatting, then decided to head down to the promenade for a wander – this included stopping at Starbucks for a vanilla latte

and a snack to take back to the cabin where we sat on the balcony for a while, just watching the world go by until it was time to head down to the Schooner Bar for a quiz.

This was a general knowledge trivia quiz which actually turned into 3 quizzes over the course of the next hour and a half, 2 of which we won! We became the proud owners of the “special” Royal Caribbean pens – they really go to town on the prizes!

The last quiz was actually much harder than the first 2 and we didn’t score particularly highly (12 out of 20) so were actually amazed to find we had won! Must have been the cocktails improving our performance – they were going down very nicely at this point!

We had a nice chat with the guy who was running the quizzes (I had discovered at this point that Andy chats to everyone which made for some very interesting conversations!) before we decided it was time for us to head off to dinner.

We were seated in the downstairs restaurant this evening and while I can’t fault the service or food in any way, it lacked atmosphere – it felt a little like a conference hall for some reason – the other restaurants were much better themed.

The food definitely made up for the lack of atmosphere – I enjoyed pumpkin soup

beef tenderloin

carrot cake

and a cappuccino and I opted for a glass of wine to my meal this evening rather than a cocktail.

Andy had the same except he opted for the chocolate cake instead

and no alcohol which by my calculations put me ahead in the challenge until it was pointed out a glass of wine wasn’t a cocktail.

We had planned this evening to head to the Music Hall to watch the Who Wants to be a millionaire quiz, so following dinner we headed over and found a seat on the upper level as the lower one was already full. We ordered another couple of cocktails and enjoyed sitting and chatting until it was time for the quiz.

They selected contestants by raffle tickets, and the first one was called up to the hot seat. It worked as you would expect, with the usual lifelines and to be honest the questions were relatively straightforward until the end which got a little harder (how many minutes are there in a year – not that easy to work out after the volume of cocktails we had consumed!)

The first contestant was successful and there was time on the schedule for a second one – and this is where the host earned his money for the evening, as this contestant had DEFINITELY overindulged on the cocktails that day! He was all over the place and the host had a hard time just keeping him seated in the chair, let alone working out how the lifelines worked! At one point he only had 2 options left, the host was literally telling him the correct answer and he still couldn’t manage to get the question right!

It doesn’t help that in this game, nobody loses – everyone selected makes it all the way though to the end – not an easy thing to do when your contestant is that drunk and just isn’t listening to you!

Once the show had finished, we ordered another cocktail, but then the house band came back on and the singer hadn’t improved any, so we decided to cut our losses and take our cocktails back to the cabin to enjoy in peace where we found our cabin steward had left us a lovely towel animal 🥰

We had been ordering cocktails fairly regularly throughout the day, and if my count is correct we had both had 8 cocktails today, and I had also had a glass of wine to dinner, but surprisingly today I wasn’t feeling any of the effects – we had ordered mostly the Ice Ice Baby (vodka, blue curacao, pineapple juice) and for some reason I can drink these all day and not feel tipsy – Andy however, not so much!

He seemed perfectly fine on the walk back to the cabin, and on entering he suggested we take the drinks out to “the square thingy” – obviously code for “balcony”!

As soon as he got outside into the fresh air, he really started to feel the effects and during the course of conversation, lots of other important words seemed to elude him too! We were discussing our next date, which was to be my turn to travel, and he asked me what I would like to do when I went to “the place where he lived” – yep, Belfast much too difficult a word to remember after 8 cocktails!

I was killing myself laughing at this stage, and claimed victory on day 2 of our cocktail challenge which he contested – he even sent an audio message on my Glowtini Girl Whatsapp chat to contest the result – it was so carefully delivered it was very obvious the effect of the cocktails! I even forwarded a copy of it to him so he could hear the following morning just how tipsy he was sounding!

It was getting chilly on “the square thingy” at that point, so we decided to call it a night and headed to bed with lots of silly chat before we finally fell asleep 😂

Sea days with company are definitely more fun than solo ones ❤️

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Glad you were having fun, you definitely seem to be winning on the cocktail front!
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a perfect sea day - cocktails, quizzes, food and relaxing!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
“the square thingy” ROLF

If you can't indulge on holiday, when can you? Also, I've got a DH who talks to everyone, so know how it feels.

Sounds like a nice relaxed day , keep 'em coming.
Old 1 Nov 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Glad you were having fun, you definitely seem to be winning on the cocktail front!
I did - they were so good 😂

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Sounds like a perfect sea day - cocktails, quizzes, food and relaxing!
I do love sea days - it’s what cruises are all about 😂

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
“the square thingy” ROLF

If you can't indulge on holiday, when can you? Also, I've got a DH who talks to everyone, so know how it feels.

Sounds like a nice relaxed day , keep 'em coming.
Totally agree about indulging on holiday - most people don’t believe me, but I’m not actually a big drinker generally 😂

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Sounds like a lovely day was had So glad it is going so well
Old 3 Nov 21, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Sounds a great day, however, the square thingy, come on Andy you’re letting the side down.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List