Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Replacement Glazing

Our windows were put in when we bought the house which is now 23 years ago. I feel subjectively that the house is colder than it used to be and perhaps its time to replacement the windows but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Do I replacement the glass or the whole frame?

There is no point in replacing like with like it needs to be better. Is that triple glazing or a better quality double glaze.

The world of advertising double glazing is designed to inform that everyones windows are the best. In reality which windows are good and which are just advertising.

I point blank refuse to have anything other than a single offer from any company. I won't put up with special deal tonight, let me just phone the manager, coming back with a better deal three days later. Its a once only. Anytime I've stipulated this before they have all agreed and complied apart from Everest who salesperson just couldn't not try to do his rehearsed speel. He was ejected.

I would prefer local companies but trouble is just how good are their windows. Is there an sort of website which is independant and can give an accuarate review of the different windows available?

I know a lot of questions
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Our windows were put in when we bought the house which is now 23 years ago. I feel subjectively that the house is colder than it used to be and perhaps its time to replacement the windows but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

There is no point in replacing like with like it needs to be better. Is that triple glazing or a better quality double glaze.

The world of advertising double glazing is designed to inform that everyones windows are the best. In reality which windows are good and which are just advertising.

I point blank refuse to have anything other than a single offer from any company. I won't put up with special deal tonight, let me just phone the manager, coming back with a better deal three days later. Its a once only. Anytime I've stipulated this before they have all agreed and complied apart from Everest who salesperson just couldn't not try to do his rehearsed speel. He was ejected.

I would prefer local companies but trouble is just how good are their windows. Is there an sort of website which is independant and can give an accuarate review of the different windows available?

I am in the same boat - we moved into our house 5 years ago (it's about 40 years old but has double glazed windows and they are sooo drafty)

I keep hearing ads on the radio for Cloudy2clear, who just replace the glass, but I think we will end up replacing the frames as well.

It seems like a minefield and it's not a cheap thing to do, so I am following with interest.
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm. Lots of answers needed and not all will apply to everybody

If the frames are ok and the double glazing isn't shot why replace? Now if you hear noise and feel draughts I would get the seals replaced. There are lots of local companies that do this but it's not an easy job as there are dozens of different size seals/gaskets and they take ages to fit, especially on those darn fanlights! However if you want new then yes triple glazing is better. I personally wouldn't consider it unless I was in a noisy environment, by the sea, in an exposed are such as high up in Derbyshire etc.

Always go local. Spot who is having an extension or windows replaced and go and have a look. Most people are ok with showing you what they have

Speak to local installers as you drive around

Who is doing the installations in your area? Have they got a showroom if so go and check out their products and see what quality the hinges and handles are like.

The list is endless but I would never use a National installer albeit I would use a National supplier as there are a few of those that Builder use.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 03:39 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have triple glazing, we got it for sound deadening not for heat retention. We live in Lancashire and are very exposed on a clear day we can see mount snowdon. The triple made a massive difference in noise reduction and on bonfire night the big bangs are just in the background. It also is better for heat retention as well.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm. Lots of answers needed and not all will apply to everybody

If the frames are ok and the double glazing isn't shot why replace? Now if you hear noise and feel draughts I would get the seals replaced. There are lots of local companies that do this but it's not an easy job as there are dozens of different size seals/gaskets and they take ages to fit, especially on those darn fanlights! However if you want new then yes triple glazing is better. I personally wouldn't consider it unless I was in a noisy environment, by the sea, in an exposed are such as high up in Derbyshire etc.

Always go local. Spot who is having an extension or windows replaced and go and have a look. Most people are ok with showing you what they have

Speak to local installers as you drive around

Who is doing the installations in your area? Have they got a showroom if so go and check out their products and see what quality the hinges and handles are like.

The list is endless but I would never use a National installer albeit I would use a National supplier as there are a few of those that Builder use.
Hadn't thought of looking to see who is having extensions etc. And good point about triple glazing being more suited for noise and exposure - we live in a quiet cul-de-sac (although on the flight path from Luton, but that isn't really a bother)
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We had a local firm do ours, lady at work recommended them... and she was the fussiest person I know... so if good enough for her, I knew they'd be all right. And they were perfect.

We tried the nationals... anglian etc, they were rubbish at even turning up to quote which took them out of the running!

Would always look for a personal recommendation if you can.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I meant to add the back and the side of my house was installed some 35 years ago and is still perfect. In that time I have never replaced one pane but have had 3 hinges changed and next year I will replace 2 handles.

The front which was put in 20 years ago is 8 separate windows with 12 sashes/fanlights and has had 9 panes replaced. 1 hinge and all the seals. However it's a good solid frame so I can live with that.

Meant to add check the glass quality. I see so many windows where you can see the glass is poor quality as the reflection is all distorted. That means cheap glass!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post

I can’t offer much help on windows, but we’ve recently had a new front door and the prices were the prices with all the companies that quoted us, I love to haggle but they were having non of it, I think it’s the current climate where they have more work than they can handle, so I don’t think you’ll have an issue with anyone not giving you their best price x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Over the years we've used Everest, Anglian and Safesure. All the products and installations were great, but the salesmen were the smarmiest, creepiest, evasive, patronising people I have ever met. I can feel the spiel beginning as they step over the threshold. Puts me off getting any more work done on our house.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Obviously grazing is much better now. But frames are also much better - for example, much reduced cold bridging will cause much lower heat loss. It really depends on the money.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List