Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Nov 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

quite a few of us English travellers fly from Glasgow

The route to GLA is very easy and rarely congested. Its a smaller international airport but usually isnt backlogged. Scottish schools go back earlier in August (and break up earlier) so you can find some really good August deals flying from GLA and EDI.

As for MLB, most are hoping immigration will be shorter to make up for the longer drive. For car hire I would consider a split uber/transfer to an external car hire place.

Edited at 08:33 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

speak to Andy to see if you can get a better car hire price, I e mailed him and he gave me a decent deal (in the scheme of things) for a people carrier
col1968 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by col1968 View Post
speak to Andy to see if you can get a better car hire price, I e mailed him and he gave me a decent deal (in the scheme of things) for a people carrier
this we got a car for about 1/2 the best price we could find, via Andy

and looking right now its a bargain & can of course rebook at a lower price should one come up in the coming months
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It’s a very easy drive, we’ve done it as we have friends who lived in that area.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
It’s a very easy drive, we’ve done it as we have friends who lived in that area.
Hi duchy,

Would you recommend the 192 all the way, or going up the 95 onto the 528?

Thanks
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
Hi duchy,

Would you recommend the 192 all the way, or going up the 95 onto the 528?

Thanks
I do this drive regularly for my daughter's special physical therapy appointments. I am actually going today. 192 from St Cloud through Kissimmee is filled with traffic light and very slow going despite being a shorter distance. I only ever go that way if I want to stop at a particular store halfway. If you don't mind motorway driving and a few tolls, 95/528 is definitely preferable.

It does matter where you are staying. Some villa areas in Polk County might be quicker via 192 but the I Drive or Universal areas definitely won't be.

I always check Google Maps first as well. Right now at 6AM, the difference is only 15 minutes to my house in the Formosa Gardens area. That will very likely change to at least 30 min later.
Old 11 Nov 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I do this drive regularly for my daughter's special physical therapy appointments. I am actually going today. 192 from St Cloud through Kissimmee is filled with traffic light and very slow going despite being a shorter distance. I only ever go that way if I want to stop at a particular store halfway. If you don't mind motorway driving and a few tolls, 95/528 is definitely preferable.

It does matter where you are staying. Some villa areas in Polk County might be quicker via 192 but the I Drive or Universal areas definitely won't be.

I always check Google Maps first as well. Right now at 6AM, the difference is only 15 minutes to my house in the Formosa Gardens area. That will very likely change to at least 30 min later.
Thanks for that excellent detail Donna.
We’re staying around Champions Gate, is there any value in doing the 192 through St.Cloud, then jumping on the 17 south round to Osceola Polk Line Road?
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
chester5867
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

Can I ask if all of the tolls are manned as I have memories of chucking all of my change into a broken toll bucket from the airport and then worrying what would happen if I got to another unmanned toll and having no change left? For this reason I have avoided toll roads ever since.
chester5867 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chester5867 View Post
Can I ask if all of the tolls are manned as I have memories of chucking all of my change into a broken toll bucket from the airport and then worrying what would happen if I got to another unmanned toll and having no change left? For this reason I have avoided toll roads ever since.
Yes they are manned for now at least. There is a gradual shift towards unmanned tolls though and even ones that don't accept cash at all. I have a Sunpass with automatic top up so don't even think about them. I got caught out on Tuesday as I had a rental from Enterprise for one day while my car was in the shop waiting for a part. I got on 429 for one exit on the way home and never even thought about not having any quarters! I had no idea what Enterprise would charge.
Old 12 Nov 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
Thanks for that excellent detail Donna.
We’re staying around Champions Gate, is there any value in doing the 192 through St.Cloud, then jumping on the 17 south round to Osceola Polk Line Road?
Quite possibly but it depends on traffic and the time of day. Definitely check Google Maps etc before setting off.