Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 15 Nov 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
damaged
Apprentice Imagineer

Another one doing their first Thanksgiving! Super excited. I have a question, where is everyone getting their turkey? I tried my local butcher but he doesn't get any in until just before christmas, and has trouble sourcing them before.
Upcoming: Feb 24' - Hubby's 40th
damaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by damaged View Post
Another one doing their first Thanksgiving! Super excited. I have a question, where is everyone getting their turkey? I tried my local butcher but he doesn't get any in until just before christmas, and has trouble sourcing them before.
Do you live somewhere near a farm shop?
We have loads available here ,we bought our turkey crown to freeze for Christmas yesterday as we are not back until 23rd Dec.

I also did a turkey leg in the slow cooker at £1.49 a leg it came out ok , but wish I had done it pulled style.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
I did the Hoop de du cornbread this weekend, too! It was a bit too salty for me, although DH said it was delicious, he liked it like that. I only used half a cup of sugar and made the rest up with honey. It is so light and fluffy! I think next time I'll try using melted butter instead of veg oil, I like the idea of that better. But it was SO easy to make, and came out so well, that I was well impressed - I am a rubbish baker so felt quite proud of myself!

Ooh I love the colour of yours! This looks fab. I took mine out too early, although it still tasted good.

I'm going to try cooking mine in two smaller loaf tins next time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Well done on the cornbread ladies! I'll definitely use less sugar in ours, it's the sweetness that makes OH not like it. How much honey should you use if reduce the amount of sugar?

I've seen lots of frozen turkeys everywhere. I think we're just going to get a crown though. Debating whether I should splurge on an M&S one or get an Iceland one that is surely just as nice.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sheppard
Getting Excited

Getting a bit overwhelmed by all the thanksgiving recipes on Pinterest. I’m just after a basic menu with just a couple of side dishes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Glad the cornbread recipe went well. I usually do mine in a brownie pan or I’ve made muffins with the mixture too.
sheppard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sheppard View Post
Getting a bit overwhelmed by all the thanksgiving recipes on Pinterest. I’m just after a basic menu with just a couple of side dishes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Glad the cornbread recipe went well. I usually do mine in a brownie pan or I’ve made muffins with the mixture too.
you cant go wrong with an ATK recipe... try searching their youtube channel for starters...

youtube/c/AmericasTe...y=thanksgiving

after that, see what alton brown has up his sleeve...

youtube/c/AltonBrown...y=thanksgiving

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
I've got a Turkey crown. I hope you manage to find some turkey in time!

Originally Posted by sheppard View Post

It's only my 3rd year of doing a thanksgiving meal. Personally I've not done starters and I don't plan on one this year as my eldest needs to leave for work at 1.30pm so I've got to get it all ready and eaten by then!

We will have:
* turkey
* mashed potato
* roasted veg - brussels, squash, peppers
* sausagemeat stuffing
* green beans and sweet corn with a lemon dressing
* cornbread - a huge thank you for the recipe you shared as that was awesome!

For dessert I've done pumpkin pie the last couple of years. But I really like the look of the pumpkin cheesecake Colette shared so I'm probably going to do that.

I hope that's helpful.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I agree that it is a little overwhelming to decide what to have.

We are having:

- Green Bean Casserole
- Mashed Potatoes
- Stuffing
- Mac & Cheese
- Roast Butternut Squash
- Corn Bread

I am debating a Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallows as I feel like I want to try it once in my life.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

It’s so good to see so many of you planning traditional Thanksgiving foods that we have over here. ♥️

I’ll be buying my turkey this weekend and starting to think of my menu items. Do you have or make cranberry sauce over there? It’s essential!
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
It’s so good to see so many of you planning traditional Thanksgiving foods that we have over here. ♥️

I’ll be buying my turkey this weekend and starting to think of my menu items. Do you have or make cranberry sauce over there? It’s essential!
Please let us know what you settle on for your menu!

The supermarkets sell jars of cranberry sauce which I usually buy. At Christmas time they'll have chilled versions that are a little fancier and flavoured with port and things like that.

I really wanted to try making my own but I haven't seen fresh cranberries anywhere.