Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Head in a spin - what would you do?

Like so many of us following Boris' announcement I feel sick to my stomach this morning. Thinking of everyone who have had their hopes dashed this morning

Our predicament

Travelling to LAX 05/01/2022. Duration of the trip is only 5 days, returning on 10/11/22. Yes, its a whistle stop fix and had booked for our 50ths.

3 nights in Anaheim, then up to Hollywood for 2 nights.

Park tickets booked and paid in full for Disneyland and Universal (third party supplier)

Balance of holiday to airline due 15/12/21.

Boris's next update 18/12/21 (if I have worked this out correct)

Concerns

If Biden decides to reciprocate the day 2 PCR on arrival, then potentially we could be in our accommodation till the day before (or even day of) travel home

I have spoken with insurer and we are not covered for loss of park tickets as travel is still permitted.

Emailed ticket provider and awaiting response if tickets transferable to a later date? Thought I had done the sensible thing and paid AFTER borders were opened

Emailed airline to enquire if possible to extend holiday for a few extra days and awaiting response.

Also the owner of 4 FLTs that are absolutely no use!

I know this is something that really only DH and I can decide on, but reaching out to others in the hope someone else may have some suggestions we may not have thought of. So the only options I can see are...
  1. Cancel - take the hit of lost park tickets/LFTs
  2. Postpone - take the hit of increase cost of holiday with airline, if the park tickets are transferrable?
  3. Go with it - Hope that any PCR requirement/isolation is short and enjoy what time we can?

I am so grateful we are all healthy and I know this is just a holiday, but it so gut wrenching that borders have been open less than 3 weeks.
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I go on 20 December

At the moment I am still going - getting a PCR on return is a pain but won't stop me travelling

A friend in LA just sent me this - I would get a fact PCR on landing at LAX ($125 one or $199) IF we have to test.

flylax/travelsafely

Edited at 01:35 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mumsthebigkid View Post
If Biden decides to reciprocate the day 2 PCR on arrival, then potentially we could be in our accommodation till the day before (or even day of) travel home
Biden can not reciprocate the day 2 PCR on arrival, he does not have the legal jurisdiction to do that. He is in charge of the Federal Government and only has jurisdiction on Federal issues. Entry into USA is a Federal issue, so all he can do is require a PCR test BEFORE ARRIVIAL. Once in USA, it is state law, and the state governors. It would not be legal in all states to require a PCR test on arrival, like Boris has just required.

Also Biden can not require quarantine or isolation on arrival. Again that would not be legal in all states.

Disneyland Park tickets hold their value as credit, even if they expire before you use them. You will not loose the money you paid for them. If you decide not to travel, and they expire before you return, keep the tickets. All that you need to do is go to the ticket kiosks and exchange them for new tickets, but you may have to pay the difference, if Disney increase the price between now and then.

Stop panicking and take a deep breath. The only thing that you need to sort out is the PCR tests for arrival back to The UK. NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED.

I am due to travel to California at the end of January, and I am not stressed at all and just continuing on with my plans.

My 60 days for my Disneyland dining reservations is on Tuesday, so today I am planning out what restaurants I want to eat at.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Biden can not reciprocate the day 2 PCR on arrival, he does not have the legal jurisdiction to do that. He is in charge of the Federal Government and only has jurisdiction on Federal issues. Entry into USA is a Federal issue, so all he can do is require a PCR test BEFORE ARRIVIAL. Once in USA, it is state law, and the state governors. It would not be legal in all states to require a PCR test on arrival, like Boris has just required.

Also Biden can not require quarantine or isolation on arrival. Again that would not be legal in all states.

Disneyland Park tickets hold their value as credit, even if they expire before you use them. You will not loose the money you paid for them. If you decide not to travel, and they expire before you return, keep the tickets. All that you need to do is go to the ticket kiosks and exchange them for new tickets, but you may have to pay the difference, if Disney increase the price between now and then.

Stop panicking and take a deep breath. The only thing that you need to sort out is the PCR tests for arrival back to The UK. NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED.

I am due to travel to California at the end of January, and I am not stressed at all and just continuing on with my plans.

My 60 days for my Disneyland dining reservations is on Tuesday, so today I am planning out what restaurants I want to eat at.
Thank you so much for your reassuring response. I have been as cool as a cucumber up till now believe it or not 🥴.
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mumsthebigkid View Post
Thank you so much for your reassuring response. I have been as cool as a cucumber up till now believe it or not 🥴.
The US president can mandate, via congress, any emergency laws . I doubt he would ban all travellers like last president but that shows the power he can use - he will want to protect US citizens and CNN are reporting PCR Tess and jabs for all aged 2 upwards. That seems proportionate - I guess its down to what Fauci advices as that is what he will follow and that is the only certainty I know from my fiends that work in politics in USA.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 03:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We are travelling a similar time, depart 7th January. I cannot imagine any changes to UK rules would make us reconsider as we can isolate / WFH back in the UK.

But we will obviously be watching news from the USA to see if any changes there, but I think if they allow us in we will go. Our situation is not too bad anyway as my flights are refundable and I always book hotels on flexible rates to pay at hotel. I deliberately held off buying Disneyland tickets so far, but I understand that I would have a year to use them if I had bought them anyway. So I guess on your shoes I would see how the land lies when your balance is due.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
The US president can mandate, via congress, any emergency laws . I doubt he would ban all travellers like last president but that shows the power he can use - he will want to protect US citizens and CNN are reporting PCR Tess and jabs for all aged 2 upwards. That seems proportionate - I guess its down to what Fauci advices as that is what he will follow and that is the only certainty I know from my fiends that work in politics in USA.
I would point out, that CDC told Trump to lift the ban, which he did, and Biden reimposed it for a long time. So he does have form.
Old 29 Nov 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I deliberately held off buying Disneyland tickets so far, but I understand that I would have a year to use them if I had bought them anyway. So I guess on your shoes I would see how the land lies when your balance is due.
I wish I’d done the same but felt the pressure to make park reservations 🥴

DH and I have decided to hang fire and see what plays out over next week or so. I’m just hoping that if America are going to act they do so quickly 🤞🏼