Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Dec 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Just take regular breaks (as needed) when driving, although I would say this should be normal when driving and not just returning from a holiday.

Stopping for 10-15mins every so often won't have a massive impact on the overall journey but makes the world of difference.

Worst case scenario you stop somewhere and have a slightly longer break/rest.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I get in the car and head for Fleet services. I have an hour if I need it, top up with caffeine and its about 3 hours to Weymouth. If I feel the need to swop with DW I do.

Edited at 04:21 PM.
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
It's scary reading the stories of those who have nodded off at the wheel, we've done the 4 hours back to Scotland twice with my son driving,It was snowing a blizzard one time and was terrifying as he was so tired,we pulled over often.After that we always got the train and stayed in a Premier Inn and came home the following day..if you get a cheap rate we now always book the day we're flying home and the day we arrive,nothing beats getting off the long flight and being able to have a Premier Inn breakfast and then head to bed to watch TV and doze on and off,next morning,after breakfast and fresh as daisies we head home.We have 2 nights this time for £62,well worth it.
Is there any problem with the fact that you don’t check in on the first night? This idea seems ideal to me. You can just get out of the airport, go for breakfast and straight to bed. Bliss 😴
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think it depends on the distance. We’re 30-45 minutes from either Edinburgh or Glasgow so that’s usually fine. I’ve driven from Manchester once which is around 4 hours and it was awful. We were lucky that I managed to stay awake until we found a services but it was touch and go. I think part of the issue is long stretches of motorway. While you’re navigating slip roads and traffic lights it’s much easier to stay awake. I think that’s why I’m fine driving on arrival in Orlando and then again on arrival home.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
nick.66
Getting Excited

I always wonder whether if heaven forbid you did have an accident whether the police and indeed your insurance company would look at the fact you had just come off an overnight flight. Driving tired is a dangerous thing to do, for you, your passengers and other road users. Have seen lorry drivers prosecuted for driving tired (disabling tachographs with cheat devices).
nick.66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 21, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maznorm View Post
Is there any problem with the fact that you don’t check in on the first night? This idea seems ideal to me. You can just get out of the airport, go for breakfast and straight to bed. Bliss 😴
I always let them know that we'll be arriving the next morning,it's perfect, highly recommend doing it if you get a decent price and you have the time to add on an extra day away.
Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've done Manchester- Scotland a few times & I'm not going to lie- it's horrible! I think if you are lucky enough to be one of those people that can sleep on the plane, then it's probably ok but unfortunately that's not me! But it's also hard to argue against the cheapest option, plenty of stops is good.
I've even done it & gone into work that night!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by nick.66 View Post
I always wonder whether if heaven forbid you did have an accident whether the police and indeed your insurance company would look at the fact you had just come off an overnight flight. Driving tired is a dangerous thing to do, for you, your passengers and other road users. Have seen lorry drivers prosecuted for driving tired (disabling tachographs with cheat devices).
As a private Motorist it's nothing to do with the Insurer about how long you have been awake and overnight flights etc.
They have a duty to Insure you unless you break their T & C's which being tired isn't one of them.

Similarly the Police albeit most accidents apart from being rear shunted can leave you open to prosecution or an offer of a course. But as we all know the Police, and rightly so, no longer deal with damage only bumps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 21, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
bilbous
Getting Excited

Done LHR back up to Hull a few times after flying back from Florida (Approx 3-4 hours depending on traffic) . Just need to be sensible with breaks and if your really feeling it stop at the services and have a quick nap.
Worst one I did was flying to Miami then driving up to Orlando straight away, wouldn't have been too bad but got diverted to MCO due to bad weather in Miami then sat on the tarmac for around 90 minutes before having to drive all the way back to Orlando, felt like a 60 hour day that one
bilbous is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

We have done it twice - Gatwick back to Teesside, had to stop half way and slept for three hours in a service station car park.

Heathrow last month back to Teesside - from landing to walking through the door at home it took 12.5 hours (yep, not a typo! ). That did include a brief stop to pick up our dog from my MILs but a lot was due to snow on the motorway and a lane closed while snow ploughs cleared it, crawling along at 4mph isn’t fun when you’re tired!

Debating what to do next trip - going to see if BA can amend flights to include the NCL to Lhr leg. May get a day room if not but I feel I’ll struggle to go to sleep!
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List