Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Oct 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

A DVC booking does look like it makes sense. But I don’t think it is for me, I am not familiar with how it all works and I am also wary because there is still a bit of remaining travel uncertainty. Another time maybe, but I don’t feel up to trying it for early January.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I've looked at David's for August. Not sure if they have availability or not and it knocks it down to £400 a night. Still at the moment I'm a little reluctant to pay out at the moment until I hear about vaccinations for kids etc. I might go this route once everything sorted but still over double the price of what I have booked already but this is a one-off trip!
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Yeah, I know you wouldn't renting points from a owner directly, but wasn't sure via David's as they are a company providing a service.

Thanks for confirming anyway!
Yes if Davids are charging it, it’s built into the price. They won’t be though as they are technically not renting you anything but acting as a go between, the parties contract together, with David the ‘intermediary’.

I take it you have found yourself a GC DVC owner, and not for another resort. You can get 1 beds at 7 months (I did it the last 2 years) but studios are an impossibility so you need the owner there and you need to book immediately as they will go very soon. Here’s availability, you can see June has already gone. Your dates could literally go any time, because for example, there may already only be one or two rooms left for many July dates, no way to tell.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Your thought process sounds exactly like our own which kinda went...

"Disneyland hotel is so much more than the off-site hotels across the road."

"...but we really want to stay there"

"Maybe we'll do a few nights off-site and then go to to the Disneyland hotel for a night or two."

"Ah, sod it, let's book the whole thing at the Disneyland Hotel!"

We made the right decision!
I would say that is an almost spot on assessment, but only almost because of the:

“but we really want to stay there”

it would be a bit easier if it were “we” but it is more “I”. My husband has no desire to stay there so is scratching his head over why we would spend so much when we can stay over the road for half the price.

Of course if I decide we are going then I am fairly certain I will get my way, but I would like him to think I have made a sound decision, even think he played a part in that decision.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes if Davids are charging it, it’s built into the price. They won’t be though as they are technically not renting you anything but acting as a go between, the parties contract together, with David the ‘intermediary’.

I take it you have found yourself a GC DVC owner, and not for another resort. You can get 1 beds at 7 months (I did it the last 2 years) but studios are an impossibility so you need the owner there and you need to book immediately as they will go very soon. Here’s availability, you can see June has already gone. Your dates could literally go any time, because for example, there may already only be one or two rooms left for many July dates, no way to tell.

We put our request in at 12 months to be at the front of the queue for the 11 month release and I was still worried we wouldn’t get it.

If renting points it’s not just the room being available but having a member with the right points too.

We had the same worry getting a 1 bed at Vero Beach for next summer, luckily we got that one too.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post

Yeah, the owner is on "that other site" and seems to have a ridiculous number of points for many resorts. They can book up to the end of July with their GC points so it fits well - they've confirmed availability.

Our plans are starting to form...

- Dog sitter available
- Virgin having upgraded flights available to the West coast around 24th-ish of July, and back from the east coast mid-August
- Daughter at uni finally making up her mind what she wants to do (just the east coast bit)

Need to hop on the phone to Virgin this evening to find out if we have any companion or upgrade vouchers on either of our FC accounts and probably book flights there and then. I'll be able to commit to the GC at that point, so fingers crossed!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yeah, the owner is on "that other site" and seems to have a ridiculous number of points for many resorts. They can book up to the end of July with their GC points so it fits well - they've confirmed availability.

Our plans are starting to form...

- Dog sitter available
- Virgin having upgraded flights available to the West coast around 24th-ish of July, and back from the east coast mid-August
- Daughter at uni finally making up her mind what she wants to do (just the east coast bit)

Need to hop on the phone to Virgin this evening to find out if we have any companion or upgrade vouchers on either of our FC accounts and probably book flights there and then. I'll be able to commit to the GC at that point, so fingers crossed!
Ask them:

1. Are the points you are renting the current use year for your booking or banked. If they are ‘current’ use year, would they be willing to bank if your trip falls through? Banked points cannot be banked twice, so if the points you are renting are banked from last year, they can’t bank them twice.

2. If they are current use year, when is the use year? This is so you know when the banking window ends. It is 4 months before use year. So for example my use year is Feb, so my new points come onto my contract 1 Feb. My banking window is 4 months before the end of the year in which this years points exist, so 30 September. So for example if you were renting from me and I was using current and not banked points for your trip, my points would be 2022-2023 points with Feb use year which means as long as you cancel a month before the trip (see below) you could bank them up to end of September 2022 and use them until 31 Jan 2024.
However if they say they are using ‘current’ year points but their use year is August for example, they’d be using 2021-2022 points (as your trip takes place before the use year ends for points they already have) and if you wanted to cancel 6 weeks before and bank the points, you’d already have missed the cut off, even though they were current years’ points as you missed the 4 month banking deadline.
Alternatively if I was renting you my banked points instead, banked into 2022-2023 use year, there is no further banking. Sounds more complicated than it is.

3. Be aware if you cancel less than a month out, points go into ‘holding’ which basically means they are very restricted and can only be used for bookings 60 days out.

4. Perhaps the biggest question, would the owner be prepared to attempt to re- rent a confirmed reservation or the points for you if you can’t go. Perhaps for a 25% cut. VGC is in high demand and the owner probably would not have issues re renting on the other board, or the Facebook if you couldn’t go (as long as it is not day before) but it will rent 2 weeks out I imagine no issue.

With my renters I give them all this info and have actively asked them what they want to do (it’s only one UK renter that’s had an issue) and worked with them to bank points booked for last year, to this and they are booking again this month. Many owners though simply wouldn’t bother, so it’s best to get this cleared up and know how it works before renting in my view.

Edited at 11:26 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Well I think I have decided not to book it, DH not really warming up to the idea and I don’t think my head is going to allow it either. I am thinking I might save it up for another year when the onsite benefit of early access and hotel access return.

Not sure I fancy the Courtyard any more though either, so I am going to take a fresh look and welcome any ideas.
Old 16 Oct 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
loves_disney
Imagineer

loves_disney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have compromised and are staying two nights at the Tropicana inn and suites across the road and then have rented points from David’s for 3 nights to finish off our trip!
Old 16 Oct 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

These would be my recommendations for hotels for Disneyland. All of theses are walkable to the parks 20 minutes walk or less.
Howard Johnsons
Courtyard By Marriott Anaheim
Fairfield Inn By Marriott Anaheim
Camelot Inn and Suites
Tropicana Inn and Suites
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn
Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites
Del Sol Inn
Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
Grand Legacy At The Park
The Anaheim
Castle Inn and Suites
Candy Cane Inn - closed for refurb until spring 2022, opening date to be announced

Unlike Walt Disney World, the majority of the hotel guests book directly with the hotels, not through a high street travel agent. The hotels and motels closed to the parks are usually not available to UK high street travel agents.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List