Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Nov 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

With the current rate of inflation running at over 6% in the US unfortunately Disney won't be the only place to give you a bigger bill or a smaller plate
Decreasing portion size as opposed to putting prices up seems to have been around in retail for years (as Xmas is approaching must be nearly time for the annual thread how much smaller is a tin of quality street etc etc) so should we be surprised that it is happening in hospitality too

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's definitely happening here in the UK

Been for 3 Pub lunches over the last couple of weeks.

Prices have risen at least £2 / £3 and you get a lot less than pre Pandemic.

Can't give you a smaller portion o n a pint of Guinness though. (phew)

Smaller portions in US shouldn't be seen as to much of a bad thing really
salmim is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Looking around Florida I say smaller portions is a great idea. Those poor electric scooters.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

The cynic in me feels it is possible that portion sizes of fries (cheap) may not change that much, but the steak and protein sizes will…
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

This is one I don’t mind too much and much prefer it to raising prices (although that’s probably just a matter of time too) It’s just the 2 of us and I find the portions too large. If I finished I’d have a funny tummy because I’m not used to eating that much food so some always goes to waste. In sit down restaurants we don’t even look at the appetisers, they are massive and we’d have no need for a main. If we ate both we’d probably need a second loo to get through the night 😛

The size of some snacks is also insane. There are some that you can make a cheap main meal out if they are so generous but really the massive sweet treats are not necessary. Dare I say no matter how delicious the first bite is, when it’s as big as a child’s head the last bite is more likely to make your poorly. They could makes cuts in that area.

We also find portions even worse in the chain restaurants though. We tend to avoid them totally because neither of us can handle the size and the ingredients and we never feel well afterwards. We’ve jokingly discussed doing a 60 day pre Florida training plan for our stomachs where we gradually up our portions and introduce more salt and sugar but then we’d need new clothes!

We’ve been noticing the cost of living increasing a lot over the last few months. Energy costs especially have given us a pinch. We’re bracing for higher costs and less for our money all around.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
The cynic in me feels it is possible that portion sizes of fries (cheap) may not change that much, but the steak and protein sizes will…
Can they make the 6oz fillet steak any smaller😀😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Can they make the 6oz fillet steak any smaller😀😀
Enjoy your meal Sir.

Oh sorry, forgot to say the Gentleman at the next table has the other half.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by KBRB View Post
Its not awful at all ...on its own. However when you stack it with all the other money grabbing cost cutting it seems worse.
But in this case it's cost cutting in order to reduce any price increases.

What do people want - prices to stay the same or portion sizes to stay the same? With inflation you can't have both - one (or both) has got to change.

Personally, I'd prefer portion sizes to reduce if it meant prices stayed roughly the same.

(Obviously it would be nice if both stayed the same - or even if the price reduced - but I live in the real world).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
But in this case it's cost cutting in order to reduce any price increases.

What do people want - prices to stay the same or portion sizes to stay the same? With inflation you can't have both - one (or both) has got to change.
They don't have to pass on any additional costs - its their choice. Most people have already paid $$$ just to enter the park which includes a large inflationary increase which should help to subsidise any increase in food costs.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

Have always dined on Disney using the Deluxe DP shared between 2 rooms but definitely will be looking at dining offsite as much as possible next year.
Universal Aug/Sept 2023.
BWV & Universal Feb & May 2024. BWV Jan 2025.
mental4ever is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List