Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 13 Nov 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
... so whats that going to do the Kitchen Sink...?

Almost a whole can of cream?

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Enjoy your meal Sir.

Oh sorry, forgot to say the Gentleman at the next table has the other half.

How did you find your steak, sir?

Well, it wasn’t easy but luckily I have a magnifying glass…
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
They don't have to pass on any additional costs - its their choice.
If they don't pass on additional costs then it will eat into any profits they would make on the sale of food. Reduced profits is not what most successful businesses want. So, yes, a successful business will pass on any increased costs, or look to keep the cost the same by reducing portion size (or similar). Lots of compnaies do the same.

The rise in ticket prices is to cover additional costs with upkeep to the parks, as well as running rides, attractions, shows (etc). It does not cover the increased costs associated with food/drink. Your ticket doesn't cover the cost of any food or drink.

Of course, all this talk of Disney potentially reducing portion sizes (and we're only talking about a small amount, like 10%, here. Portion sizes aren't going to halve) due to rising costs makes me wonder how many others have reduced portion sizes over the years or switched to cheaper ingredients? Not just restaurants at other theme parks like Universal and Seaworld, but offsite restaurants as well.

Disney is often held under a microscope and everything that Disney does is analysed, discussed and commented on by the likes of DIBBers, vloggers and social media whilst no one really cares what happens outside WDW. Universal (for example) could have already reduced portion sizes at it's eateries for all we know.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:05 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Of course, all this talk of Disney potentially reducing portion sizes (and we're only talking about a small amount, like 10%, here. Portion sizes aren't going to halve) due to rising costs makes me wonder how many others have reduced portion sizes over the years or switched to cheaper ingredients? Not just restaurants at other theme parks like Universal and Seaworld, but offsite restaurants as well.
Happens all the time in food and beverage. It's also why a lot of the popular restaurants go to prix fixe. A small set menu drastically reduces their overhead.

Disney is often held under a microscope and everything that Disney does is analysed, discussed and commented on by the likes of DIBBers, vloggers and social media whilst no one really cares what happens outside WDW. Universal (for example) could have already reduced portion sizes at it's eateries for all we know.
Do you remember the drama when Cadbury switched Creme Eggs to no longer use Dairy Milk? And they reduced the egg carton down to 5 per pack. The outrage.

I agree though, there's so much noise about every change Disney makes but Universal often already did it with zero complaint. That's why I find the "I'm taking my money to Universal instead" comments so amusing.

Edited at 05:15 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
assos
VIP Dibber

Just a thought - how many (Table Service) restaurants will this actually (directly) affect?

I know a lot of locations within the parks and especially at Disney Springs are operated by 3rd Parties (who while they will still have to deal with rising costs and decide what action they're gonna take), won't be directly affected by any decisions made by Disney on portion sizing.
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by assos View Post
Just a thought - how many (Table Service) restaurants will this actually (directly) affect?

I know a lot of locations within the parks and especially at Disney Springs are operated by 3rd Parties (who while they will still have to deal with rising costs and decide what action they're gonna take), won't be directly affected by any decisions made by Disney on portion sizing.
Not to mention many places are buffet / family style / all-you-care-to-stuff-in-your-face.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Chops
Getting Excited

Let’s face it, what Disney have come to realise is they can devalue the product a long way before it significantly affects visitor numbers. Nothing surprises me with Disney anymore.
Chops is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Surely reducing portion sizes is a good thing. The portions are obscenely big!

Hopefully there'll be less waste too.
Old 15 Nov 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Chops View Post
Let’s face it, what Disney have come to realise is they can devalue the product a long way before it significantly affects visitor numbers. Nothing surprises me with Disney anymore.
Yes, although it depends on what you mean by "devaluing the product".

Disney have removed a bunch of onsite benefits, started charging for their fastpass replacement, don't currently have big parades and character hugs (supposedly due to Covid), and have generally increased prices as they do every year. They may also be looking into reducing portion sizes or sourcing cheaper ingredients. But they have added new lands and attractions in the last few years. There is certainly more attractions for me to see from when I last visited 5 years ago. So, if I choose not to stay onsite nor eat much onsite, there's more for me to see and do than before for only a relatively small cost increase. It could be argued the product's value has now increased for me despite the increased ticket costs (not sure I'd quite go that far, mind you).

There are many people who don't see the product as being devalued. They continue to visit.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
when I last visited 5 years ago. So, if I choose not to stay onsite nor eat much onsite, there's more for me to see and do than before for only a relatively small cost increase.
Since your last visit, ticket prices have increased significantly. We paid £299 in 2016, next year £489 plus £90 for fast passes. Parking was $18 now $25. On-site hotels up at least 40% since 2016.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List