Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
My son is in secondary school and does not read well, the teacher may be trying to include kids with different abilities, his sister is the opposite and reads books like there is no tomorrow!

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
It’s the whole school. The trust that run it have decided this is how they want things done.

I agree everyone is different hence why I just want her to hold the book because it works for her.
Sunnydays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
It’s the whole school. The trust that run it have decided this is how they want things done.

I agree everyone is different hence why I just want her to hold the book because it works for her.
Yes my comment was to one further up which was saying why does anyone in secondary need the text reading out, I was just commenting why my son would need that.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
Yes my comment was to one further up which was saying why does anyone in secondary need the text reading out, I was just commenting why my son would need that.
Probably my comment and whilst schools should obviously do everything they can to support all needs I would hope the vast majority of children doing their GCSE would not need to follow along whilst a teacher reads to facilitate their reading skills. Yes of course a teacher may read as part of a class on literature, history or others subjects to draw attention to a point or discuss a section of prose but this would not or surely should not require a flat book and a reading ruler. As this is across the whole trust from what the OP says this includes all abilities and therefore children who in a year are to progress to A levels and I remain therefore shocked that we are talking about high school GCSE pupils.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The trust sound bonkers, surely those who don’t need reading to are likely to become bored and unmotivated. It ranks high on the silliest thing list. That a trust applies a blanket rule across all years and abilities like this is daft.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The trust sound bonkers, surely those who don’t need reading to are likely to become bored and unmotivated. It ranks high on the silliest thing list. That a trust applies a blanket rule across all years and abilities like this is daft.
100% I am going to query everything about this rule when I get the opticians letter.

I won’t name the Trust on here in case someone on here works for them but I am not impressed with them at all.
Sunnydays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I think it must be a current teaching method as I did a quick google and found it mentioned on at least three different school websites.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think it must be a current teaching method as I did a quick google and found it mentioned on at least three different school websites.
Would you mind pm me the details of the schools as I suspect it’s probably same trust trying out a new method. When I googled could only find this method used for dyslexic children.
Old 5 Dec 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Finally got a resolution my daughter can now hold her book. It took a letter from the opticians.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice.