Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Nov 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I love that I’ve seen the San Andreas Fault. We first seen it when we went up the cable car then went out to it one day and walked amongst the palms. It was so hot though that day.

I also wanted to add that one of our best nights was spent in Pismo Beach just walking the beach and sitting on the pier watching the surfers and the sunset. I have amazing memories of that.
We do intend a walk on Pismo Beach/Pier .. and a look at the Monarch Butterfly Grove.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
done it the opposite way Vegas to Pismo, great drive and some nice places to see en route.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The Tioga Pass to Yosemite is stunning. Only open at certain times of the year though. Vegas worth seeing for a short time, Joshua Tree National Park has some good short walks but beware of summer temperatures. Seligman on Route 66 has some interesting memorabilia, the Road Kill cafe is fun “You kill ‘em, we grill ‘em”. Have a great trip, make sure you take water with you
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Sounds as though you will max out CFB. I love to plan and its even better when it all comes together.

Have a blast and take care.

Disney332
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
We’ve driven from Vegas to LA and also stopped at Peggy Sue’s - the place was like a tardis - we were surprised at how big it was. Food was ok as I recall. Memorable was the “desert storm” type ‘graveyard’ opposite the parking lot. We had no idea what it was but that was our interpretation of what we were looking at! We’ve also driven to and stayed in Pismo beach. We only had one night there and were so looking forward to sitting in our private hot tub looking at the sunset. Instead it was reminiscent of an old London ‘pea souper’ - couldn’t see a thing!
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Drove through Barstow yesterday going to LA from vegas and the other way last week

Peggy Sue’s is worth a stop at , The scenery is basically mountains and desert , We’ve done that route many times now , but for a first time you’re sure to find it spectacular.

The only other place I’ve eaten is the McDonalds in Barstow which is in a railway carriage
Barstow also has a outlets but it’s been a while since I’ve been in them

Baker is worth a quick look, Worlds tallest thermometer is there , Mad Greek restaurant, Couple of gas stations etc

Wouldn’t bother stopping off at Primm , outlets and some of the hotels are closed down now
Whiskey Pete’s is still open and has the Bonnie & Clyde car inside ( whole place reeks of smoke though )
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I did a round trip with friends from LA to Vegas through Baristow a few years ago.

It was my first experience of seeing the desert and mountains etc and it was stunning. We drove straight from LA to Baristow. We didn't do any sight seeing but the main thing I remember is that its the last gas stop and food stop before Vegas. On the highway there are signs making sure that you are aware no more gas or food between Baristow and Vegas.

We were on a budget so I think we just did fast food, but I do remember there were outlet shops and I got a good bargain on a Coach handbag.

The highway is just one long 2 lane road. You basically get on and just keep going.

Part of me wishes we did stop and do some sightseeing but my friends just wanted to get to Vegas.

The temperatures really soar as you go through the desert, my friend who was driving was using her phone as a sat nav and we had to take it off the dashboard once we got of LA and onto the main highway to Vegas to make sure it didn't over heat due to the sun shining through the car windows.

The Vegas and desert heat is so totally different to LA. The big themed hotels are just something that have to be experienced. What looks a short distance between hotels on the map can be 20 to 30 minutes walk.

Vegas is kinda like Spain, as in you will only find tourists walking around in the main heat of the day. Most of Vegas really only comes alive in the evening time. First thing in the morning, the shops will be empty, as most people are in bed.

Also each of the hotels are not just themed but kinda have a set demographic / type of people who stay at them. Mandalay Bay is party central for the 20 to 30 years, while Bellagio will get the older crowd.
There is food and gas between Barstow and Vegas , Baker has both and Primm has food ..

I’ve been to Vegas 13 times . I left there yesterday.. Mandalay Bay was dead when I was in there this week .. it’s never been a party hotel , that’s more the Virgin hotel ( formerly the hard rock ) , Palms ( which is shut ) and places like Planet Hollywood ..
Mandalay Bay was the quietest of any of the hotels last week it was dead in there for some reason ..

The strip has been heaving day and night ..Shops just as busy first thing as later in the evening
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
There is food and gas between Barstow and Vegas , Baker has both and Primm has food ..

I’ve been to Vegas 13 times . I left there yesterday.. Mandalay Bay was dead when I was in there this week .. it’s never been a party hotel , that’s more the Virgin hotel ( formerly the hard rock ) , Palms ( which is shut ) and places like Planet Hollywood ..
Mandalay Bay was the quietest of any of the hotels last week it was dead in there for some reason ..

The strip has been heaving day and night ..Shops just as busy first thing as later in the evening
We only have 2 nights in Vegas, arriving late afternoon and then leaving early after the 2nd night, so two evenings and a full day in total. We arrive after the drive from Pismo and leave to see Hoover Dam before getting to Yavapai in order to get sunset and sun rise on the South rim.

In truth, Vegas is only in the itinerary because of its in between status as a waypoint between leaving the coast and getting to the GC. (Remember we avoid LA in its entirety, yet get to both SFO and San Diego on this vacation).

Having said that, we want a look around, a buffet and a general flavour, without digging too deep. We will enter a few Hotels etc (research ongoing).

We chose the Luxor for..
Location (South end of strip)
Name (Iconic)
Price (£134 a night for a 1200 sq foot room)
Theming (Been on Aerial America).

We appreciate that many review it as in need of a refurb, but a room with sloping windows and dual aspect as it is on the corner of the Pyramid and quite high up, sold it for us.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Not all hotel buffets are back , i don’t know if the Luxor and Excalibur are back , but if so I would avoid both..

Only buffets we had were at South Point .

Luxor definitely needs a refurb as you say, It has been in need of one for years..

I do stop off the main strip area at South Point but we have a car so its not a issue for us plus we’ve been so many times now being off the main strip doesn’t bother us .
But with such a short stay in Vegas and a first time visit you can’t beat being in the middle of the strip ..

I had 6 days there this time, Walked miles every day and still we didnt do all we wanted .