Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Dec 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Replacement windows - your thoughts please

In March this year we paid a deposit for new windows and doors with a local company who said it would be around 10-16 weeks before installation. Not too bad we thought as everything would be completed before the bad weather.

After a few phone calls I spoke to them in August and was advised that there was a problem getting the glass as two of the three companies they use had closed to refit. I suggested that we could cancel the contract and have our deposit refunded.

No was the answer as the window frames were completed and just awaiting glass.

Up until now we have heard nothing and find it strange that our patience is being ignored and we certainly wont be having them fitted until March/April time when the weather has improved. The company are on facebook and are actively posting about conservatories they have completed (read high value) - I really wanted to ask when they would be fulfilling the obligation to customers with windows and doors but have avoided this as I dont think its the right thing to do.

Your comments would be appreciated please.
Old 4 Dec 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
In normal times I would say recover your deposit and go elsewhere.

However these are not normal times for getting building gear and windows/doors are one of those areas suffering shortages.

I would weigh up the price you paid, the perceived reputation of the company in normal times and also the fact that if you do go elsewhere then the delay that will take place in finding somebody new, getting it measured again and their price.

Not what you want I know but I would hang on if you are satisfied with the product they deliver (ultimately!)

However - I assume you paid the deposit by credit card? If so you are sitting pretty. If you paid cash or cheque I would be watching them like a bloody hawk in case this is all nonsense and they are going under.

However if you paid by credit card I would give them an absolute deadline to fit and if you want the Winter out of the way say the 1st March for example and get them to sign up to that in writing.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:14 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I don’t have any better advice than Mr TM has already provided.

However just wanted to comment on the conservatories versus windows. We had both done at the same time with the same company six years ago, it was a complete rebuild of a very old conservatory. The price was broken down and the windows were more expensive even considering the labour time on each. It was a different team of fitters, so perhaps that also partly accounts for why they can get some conservatories done but not the windows. It seems hard to find a lot tradespeople these days.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Personally I would be chasing them at least weekly. We ordered some free foam cladding in April. We finally got it 2 weeks ago - 7 months after ordering. We knew there was a supply issue, and gave them the benefit of the doubt for a few months, but called each week for updates until we finally got it. Our dilemma was, if we cancelled and got our money back, we knew the cost had risen considerably, so held on.

In our area, there is a supply issue with glass, but not to the extent you’ve experienced. DH ordered new windows for my parents with the company we had ours from - supply only - and it took 8 weeks to make and deliver them.
Old 4 Dec 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
In March this year we paid a deposit for new windows and doors with a local company who said it would be around 10-16 weeks before installation. Not too bad we thought as everything would be completed before the bad weather.

After a few phone calls I spoke to them in August and was advised that there was a problem getting the glass as two of the three companies they use had closed to refit. I suggested that we could cancel the contract and have our deposit refunded.

No was the answer as the window frames were completed and just awaiting glass. Another company had claimed ‘May be before Christmas maybe after, anyone who tells you different is lying or supply cheap Chinese goods’. Our door was made in the UK

Up until now we have heard nothing and find it strange that our patience is being ignored and we certainly wont be having them fitted until March/April time when the weather has improved. The company are on facebook and are actively posting about conservatories they have completed (read high value) - I really wanted to ask when they would be fulfilling the obligation to customers with windows and doors but have avoided this as I dont think its the right thing to do.

Your comments would be appreciated please.
I ordered a new door with our local company and they delivered and fitted it in about a month. This included ordering it to our design (it’s composite with frosted glass).
Another local company claimed that it would be months, and anyone who told me otherwise was lying or ordering cheap Chinese doors. My door was manufactured in the UK

Edited at 04:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The other thing to be aware of is the type of glass being used. Sad to say when I am driving or walking around I see so many new installations where the glass is very distorted and quite obviously is poorly made.

It's called glass distortion and is all to do with how the glass is dealt with as it rolls over the steel rollers in the glass factory whilst it is red hot.

Nothing to do with the window manufacturers though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
huntmj
Excited about Disney

I just had 5 windows fitted by a local company i have used before, he didn't ask for a deposit. The windows were made locally and fitted after about 6 weeks
huntmj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We ordered new windows and gutters back in June/July and were told when we ordered them we wouldn’t get them this side of Christmas.
The surveyor came out about 3 weeks ago and told me it was likely to be February.
We’ve used a local company who we’ve used before we know their work and reputation so are happy to wait.
The salesman who has worked for them for years called to see me where I work on Friday just to let me know they haven’t forgotten us and we’ll have our new windows early next year.

My friend ordered a new 3 piece suite dining table and chairs back in June and has just been told they won’t get them in time for Christmas they’re sitting on deckchairs as they got rid of all their old things a couple of weeks ago.
Old 5 Dec 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

At the very least I would be expecting regular (at least monthly) updates. I understand many materials are quite delayed and workforce shortages aren't helping either but you ordered in March and we're told 10-16 weeks which is well and truly passed. A good company would keep you informed of progress, not go silent on you. I'd be checking in with them regularly at this point.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We placed an order for 11 windows and three doors in April - we were told there would be a delay in fitting due to awaiting different parts from different suppliers.

All were fitted perfectly in October, and the company kept us informed from August about when they thought they would be fitting them.

Just added - no deposits were paid either, we signed a contract with the company.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii

Edited at 08:58 AM.
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List