Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Aug 16, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Busy start to the trip Amanda. Our visit in March was just a weekend taster trip so didn't get to Ellis Island but it's definitely on the list for the next trip (just waiting on the Lotto win this week ). I love history, husband not so much but then he's not the holiday manager is he?
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
Really useful thank you for sharing!
I have booked Crown tickets - 354 steps/20 stories...oops!
Eek ' I'm feeling that pain for you ! It will be worth it though !

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Totally get what you mean about noise! We live in the sticks too and last week I was in London for work and I couldn’t sleep for the racket!

Wow your photos from the ferry are stunning! It looked like a beautiful morning too!

I would like to go to Ellis Island, we never made it last time!

xxx
Happily we were so knackered most nights it didn't matter
But the most noise round here is the farmer when he does his all night harvesting stint ..
It was one of those iconic mornings, the early sun on the ferry and walking around. A very happy memory.
I hadn't intended to stop at Ellis but I'm glad we did. We learned some interesting stuff.

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
Looks like you'd a great morning and managed to fit both in before lunch. Can I ask what are the options at SOL. My youngest is in a wheelchair so restricts some of the things we can do, But is there a lower level we can go into to or do we just look at it from the outside. Sorry if that sounds like a silly question.
The section below is from the national park service website. You could get into the monument where the exhibition is and go up to the top of the pedestal , but not out onto the balcony itself, it's very narrow.

The information center, gift pavilion, bookstore, dining facilities and exterior grounds are wheelchair accessible. For those with reservations to enter the monument, wheelchair access is provided by several elevators to the museum, the exterior of Fort Wood, and to the top of the pedestal. The outdoor observation deck balcony is not wheelchair accessible, but visitors still have access to the New York City skyline view. A limited number of wheelchairs are available at both Liberty and Ellis Islands (on a first-come, first-served basis). They can be borrowed, free of charge, with the deposit of a driver's license or another form of identification at the information desk.

Happy planning x

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Lovely start to the day, we haven't managed to get over to SOL in two trips! A definite reason to return.
Yes it was lovely, and a must do with the boys . I wouldn't go back now we have seen it , definitely a one time thing for us.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Busy start to the trip Amanda. Our visit in March was just a weekend taster trip so didn't get to Ellis Island but it's definitely on the list for the next trip (just waiting on the Lotto win this week ). I love history, husband not so much but then he's not the holiday manager is he?
That did make me laugh, I am the history geek but on a number of times Andy wanted to go in and visit places that I just didn't have the energy for( like library of congress, kinda regret that now). But, gotta have reasons to go back

I do like to think I am holiday manager but I think he's plotting a coup. We said no Orlando ( again) for a few years and then last night he said how cheap would a week in November be ! But it's not happening, I am hatching plans for next year so no frivolity in between
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks so much for the info. I havent really researched NYC in much detail yet. Im just pricing it up and making a list of things to do. But Im loving your report. Looking forward to the Washington bit as well. I did consider going NYC, Washington and Orlando in one holiday. But I think 1 new destination at a time is plenty.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 16, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I havent really researched NYC in much detail yet. Im just pricing it up and making a list of things to do. But Im loving your report. Looking forward to the Washington bit as well. I did consider going NYC, Washington and Orlando in one holiday. But I think 1 new destination at a time is plenty.
Ah, there is just so much to see.
Washington is beautiful . We loved it.
New York is crazy !
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Fab first day so far. We didn't do SOL as I thought the stairs in the heat might just possibly kill me!

If we went again in a cooler month I would definitely consider it though.

The boys are looking so grown up!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Fab first day so far. We didn't do SOL as I thought the stairs in the heat might just possibly kill me!

If we went again in a cooler month I would definitely consider it though.

The boys are looking so grown up!
Yes w hen did they all get so tall? Or am I shrinking ?

It wasn't too bad going first thing, it's quite cool in the stairwells. Wouldn't be very pleasant later in the day

And my knees are still complaining now
Old 25 Aug 16, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Great morning - it did look busy for early morning. I went to New York with my friends when we were in our twenties and we did the Crown - I don't think Id make it now!

Hoping to take my daughters (11 and 14) in next couple of years so Im jotting down tips.

ps 14 year old loved that Simply Lemonade when we were in Orlando at Easter - I never looked at the label closely!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 16, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It's crazy how much your boys have grown since your first TR, only four years and they're unrecognisable!

Ellis Island definitely needs a full day to appreciate it, it's quite stressful when you're on a timetable.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Great morning - it did look busy for early morning. I went to New York with my friends when we were in our twenties and we did the Crown - I don't think Id make it now!

Hoping to take my daughters (11 and 14) in next couple of years so Im jotting down tips.

ps 14 year old loved that Simply Lemonade when we were in Orlando at Easter - I never looked at the label closely!
Eesh that lemonade, full of sugar , yikes ! I shouldn't read the labels
It was lovely being there early, it would be packed out later in the day I imagine. The teens did well did get up with no grumbles.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
It's crazy how much your boys have grown since your first TR, only four years and they're unrecognisable!

Ellis Island definitely needs a full day to appreciate it, it's quite stressful when you're on a timetable.
I know, they dwarf me now and DS 1 is off to Uni in a few weeks. Reservoir Dogs are breaking up

We found a few places where we could have spent a good few hours reading but all on the list for " next time"