Notices

Old 12 Jun 10, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
The Gulf Coast, Busch and Universal - Pre-trippie 2010

Well after reading lots of trip reports over the past year or so, I have decided to take the plunge and write one myself. I doubt it will live up to the excellent standards of the ones I've read BUT I'm hoping I'll at least get fun writing it...

So are you sitting comfortably, then let me begin...

The Cast

Me – Lynn 40+ (Obsessed by holidays, loves Florida, Bossy and a Holiday Planner)
DH – Philip 40+ (Thankfully Loves Florida and happy to go with the flow)

This is us:

We've been married for 24 (yes 24) years. DH really needs a medal for putting up with me for that length of time.

Anyway, we have two lovely children...

DS – Luke 11 (will turn 12 on July 3rd – Loves Florida and organising things)

DD – Rachel 10 (almost 11 - swings from being a tweenage drama queen to horizontally laid back!)

This is our 8th trip to Florida as a family – honestly can't believe we've been 8 times! DH and I also went as a couple way, way back in 1996. We've also been to America several times as DSis lives in California. Like everyone on here we just love the lifestyle – and yes, of course when we win the lottery we'll be moving out there...

This year's trip was booked immediately on return from last years. We booked BA Flights and managed to get a fairly good deal at £1,897 for the four of us travelling from Glasgow to Gatwick then on to Tampa. We fly on 27 June – so 2 weeks tomorrow – sooooo exciting.

We've booked what looks to be a gorgeous 4 bed villa in Sabal Harbour for 24 nights. This is the longest we've ever stayed away on holiday. I keep telling DH that my aim (one day) is to be out there for a month. A girl can dream.

Anyway – as a family we've had a tough year. I've been unwell (won't bore you with the details) but it's had an impact on us all. So we are REALLY REALLY looking forward to this holiday. It's what has kept me going for the past few months. Also as our situation has changed financially this may well be the last trip to Florida for a couple of years. So we plan to make the most of it...

As well as doing lots of trips to the beaches, we plan to visit Busch Gardens (no definite date yet), Universal Studios (6-9 July) and have a surprise planned for July 5th

When we first arrive, we have the villa to ourselves for three nights. We will then be joined by Dsis-in-Law and her family.

This is Marie, Robert and Harrison (age 7) (taken in 2007).

They are out in Orlando for three weeks from 25 June. They had planned to go with Roberts DSis and family but unfortunately they had to cancel. So Marie and Robert now have a gorgeous 4 bed villa all to themselves (for most of the time).

Harrison is extremely excited about this trip. He still remembers his first trip in 2007 and has been saving to go back to Florida since the moment he returned. He has an obscene amount of money saved and if he had his way would spend it on camouflage gear and toy guns. He's army mad at the moment.

Marie, Robert and Harrison haven't been to the beach before so they are coming to stay at ours overnight so we can have one or possibly two beach trips. If they get to the coast early enough, I'd love to show them Siesta Key – it's beautiful but we struggled to park there last Summer. If that fails we'll stick to the equally gorgeous Anna Maria island beaches.

We have also planned to go stay at their villa for a night (possibly 2 but that's a surprise for the kids). We'll travel up there on 4th July and the surprise will happen on 5th. Can't say on here just in case DS or DD wander over the this board from the kids area BUT all will be revealed in the the trip report

On 6th July both families are checking into the Portofino Bay hotel at Universal. We've stayed here twice before and love it. We have also stayed at RPR and HRH. We almost booked to go back to HRH this year but PBH won AGAIN lol.

We're staying three nights and Marie and family are staying two nights.

We're also meeting up with my DSis and DN – Diane and Sarah age 5.

This is them taken in 2007.

Sarah has just seen Shrek 4 and is really looking forward to meeting Shrek & Donkey. She is also a huge Sponge Bob fan – so the characters will be good for her.

We plan to spend our first day in Universal Studios. DS Luke loves the Revenge of The Mummy so that's where he's off to first.

I'm looking forward to all 9 of us playing on Men In Black and everyone except my sis (who is a total wuss ) will go on the Simpsons ride. DH and I have to do the Simpsons ride at least once – our kids though end up going on several times whilst we relax in the sun.

On our first night, we going to eat at Bubba Gumps – I have read so many good things about it on the Dibb – and thankfully everyone is happy to leave me to plan this mini-break.

On our second day – we going to take advantage of the early entry and head to IOA and straight for WWOHP. Not sure how may of us will ride Forbidden Journey but we're all looking forward to going through the castle. The kids will all ride the Hippogriff (my two remember this from when it was the Unicorn) and the men will probably ride Dragons Challenge. Not sure if Luke will try this but he's determined to do the Hulk this year .

On our second night we're eating in Margaritaville. DH and I love it there and are looking forward to introducing it to the others.

We have no firm plans for days 3 and 4 – a lot will depend on what the kids want to do again – though I'm fairly sure WWOHP will feature.

When we leave PBH on 9th July, Diane and Sarah are coming back to the villa with us and staying for 5 nights.

They'll then leave on 15 July and we have the last 6 days on our own.

So that's it... I would have said in a nutshell – but it'd have to be a HUGE nutshell. I can't believe I've written so much!

My goodness – hope you didn't fall asleep reading...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	us.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	23714   Click image for larger version

Name:	m&r.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	23717   Click image for larger version

Name:	d&s.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Luke.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	23719   Click image for larger version

Name:	rachel.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	23720  

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 10, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post

sarah likes your trip report. Can't wait to get there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 10, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma Y
Put the kettle on

Emma Y's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Really looking forward to reading your report when you come back. It sounds as though you have loads of fun things planned, am particularly interested in reading about your Harry Potter experience.

Have a lovely holiday

Emma
Emma Y is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 10, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks Emma

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 10, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
castanea1985
Imagineer

castanea1985's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 11
Love your pre-trippie... Lynn... if you're going to a beach... try Fort de Soto its great!

Looking forward to your full trippie. Only a few days left for you now!

Tracy xx
castanea1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 10, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A great start. Sorry you've not been well, hopefully things will be better from now.
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 10, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by castanea1985 View Post
Love your pre-trippie... Lynn... if you're going to a beach... try Fort de Soto its great!

Tracy xx
Thanks Tracy - will do. In fact off to look it up now

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
A great start. Sorry you've not been well, hopefully things will be better from now.
Thanks JoJo - I know the holiday will help

Old 14 Jun 10, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Would love to hear all about Sabal Harbour as one of Dh's colleagues owns a villa there. We did have a look for it whilst we were in Anna Maria Island with a view to renting it for future holidays but couldn't find Sabal Harbour
Old 14 Jun 10, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Hi Susie
Happy to post about Sabal Harbour when we get back

Old 14 Jun 10, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ariel's Mum View Post
Hi Susie
Happy to post about Sabal Harbour when we get back
That's great - thanks Lynn