Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Nov 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Return empty...

..or take back full?

Never really know option to choose so usually go for the former as its less hassle.

That what everyone does?
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Varies, sometimes I take the "gold" package for the additional drivers which often throw in a tank of "gas". You'll often pay more than you could have filled it up yourself if you are returning empty, plus most people will probably end up leaving a fair bit in the tank. Taking back full is a bit of hassle and you'll probably end up filling up very near the airport which might not be cheap either.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

I always feel like they are trying to get one over me

Having driven an EV for the last 18 months I have range anxiety now so will still probably take it back 1/2 full
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

For us it’s empty,when it’s time to go home you just want to get home without the faff.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
With Alamo I return empty but pay for the tank full as I exit the barrier.

The prices are displayed by where the Guy sits and are within a Cent or two of prices locally. Not the rip off prices of the few con artists right by the airport or what Alamo et al charge you if you don't have a package or have pre paid in place.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

For me it wold be "return full".
Can't be bothered faffing around on an empty tank. We just fill up on Sand Lake Road on the way to the airport.
Unless of course when a tank of fuel is included in the package.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Whenever I opt to return empty I feel I'm planning to do just that for the last few days of my holiday and sometimes end up having to fuel up more often because I don't want to leave too much in and the 'last' $15 fill a couple of days before departure day turns out not to be the last one because we end up going on an unplanned trip. Ridiculous really as giving them a few extra $$$ of fuel is nothing compared to the overall cost of the holiday.

Therefore I never normally pre-pay and always fill up during that last hour before leaving the villa when my wife is still finding things to do after my suggested departure time which just stresses me out, so I'm better away for a few minutes.

However, on our forthcoming trip I have a gold package as our son is on the insurance so I will be returning it as empty as I can.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I just take it back with what’s in it, I’m on holiday, I’m not faffing about trying to work out how much fuel I need!

Leaving $30 of gas in it, drop in the ocean over convenience on a expensive holiday 😂
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We return our car, empty, and like Tom Morrow and have the final amount added to the bill.
Sometimes Melvin is driving it on fumes on that final approach to the car hire

Lesley and Melvin
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Return empty for me. Took a car back years ago on fumes. Was starting to splutter near the airport. Parked up at Sanford and got the cases out and handed it over to Dollar staff. They went start the car to move it and it would not fire up. Red light bingo win for me.