Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Jan 22, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Will_H
Excited about Disney

International driving permit

Hey folks,

I was watching Shawn on themepark worldwide today on his recent trip to USA and he was talking about needing an international driving permit?

Does anyone have any info or what you need to drive in the states.I last went in 2017,and just used my UK driving license,so not sure if the rules have changed or if indeed I broke them without knowing haha

You can get them from the post office so it's not too bad,but just wondered what everyone else does when driving in the states

Thanks
Will_H is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You don't need an International Driving Permit. This was a rumour chucked about before Covid. It didn't happen and you don't need it.
Just take your Driving Licence (card or paper) and details of your hire car.
Keep your driving licence with you at all times when driving and the details of insurances in the glove compartment.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

You don't need an IDP unless your driving licence isn't printed in English.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just to add to the previous two replies. The requirement for an IDP was introduced by then Governor, Rick Scott. It transpired that it was "illegal" legislation. It appeared on the Statute Book in Jan 2013 and was removed by April 2013.

Other things you don't need, but are often asked on here, are a DVLA code or the paper counterfoil to your plastic D/L. This was abolished in June 2015 (except for some reason in NI )

You can still hire a car with the old paper D/L but you'll need to carry your passport with you at all times whilst driving for ID purposes.

Mick
Old 11 Jan 22, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

The other thing you should have is CDW with no excess and $1m SLI on your hire car.

Mick
Old 11 Jan 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Will_H
Excited about Disney

Thanks for clearing that up guys,it threw me when he brought it up on his latest vlog,don't know if its because he was driving to Vegas and going to California aswell.

Regardless thanks again
Will_H is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sunkisser
Imagineer

I was told by the guy at DialAFlight last year that now we are out of the EU we need them.
This is from our government website
USA Type of IDP 1949
If you have an older, paper UK driving licence, you must take another form of photographic ID, such as your passport. You may need to show an IDP to your insurance company if you’re involved in an accident.

Edited at 10:13 PM.
sunkisser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 05:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunkisser View Post
I was told by the guy at DialAFlight last year that now we are out of the EU we need them.
This is from our government website
USA Type of IDP 1949
If you have an older, paper UK driving licence, you must take another form of photographic ID, such as your passport. You may need to show an IDP to your insurance company if you’re involved in an accident.
Hi SK, the guy at Dial-a-Flight is wrong, as Mick said above, the IDP was a brief error on the part of Fl Gov Scott in Jan 2013. An IDP is simply a translation document to accompany none English written dl's - example, our Czech friends dl's are written in Czech and English, never had an IDP. Once made aware of his faux pas Gov Scott quickly rescinded the rule to it's original translation intention.

I hold car insurance for our FL motor, my insurer had never heard of an IDP and were uninterested. Only those who gain from selling a superfluous IDP to unaware travellers continue to push them.
Old 13 Jan 22, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi SK, the guy at Dial-a-Flight is wrong, as Mick said above, the IDP was a brief error on the part of Fl Gov Scott in Jan 2013. An IDP is simply a translation document to accompany none English written dl's - example, our Czech friends dl's are written in Czech and English, never had an IDP. Once made aware of his faux pas Gov Scott quickly rescinded the rule to it's original translation intention.

I hold car insurance for our FL motor, my insurer had never heard of an IDP and were uninterested. Only those who gain from selling a superfluous IDP to unaware travellers continue to push them.
As you say Bonny Lass D-A-F are wrong.

I've read 99% of driving posts (including those post-Brexit) and not a single one mentions an IDP.

Maybe D-A-F should read the T&Cs of all the hire car companies which say all you need as a D/L in English.

Mick

Edited at 04:10 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
As you say Bonny Lass D-A-F are wrong.

I've read 99% of driving posts (including those post-Brexit) and not a single one mentions an IDP.

Maybe D-A-F should read the T&Cs of all the hire car companies which say all you need as a D/L in English.

Mick
We knew Gov Scotts IDP faux pas would grow legs Gadgey, but 9 years on and still some, including those who should definitely know the rules, peddle incorrect information re no IDP requirement for Fl.

Hope you and Joan are both very well

Edited at 11:37 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List