Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Jan 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Lindfields is on the 192

Mick
😁 We normally stay on Picadilly Circle which is a 30 minute walk from the 192. Next holiday we
fancy being able to walk to places so somewhere like Margaritaville.
PopAlways is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris71
Getting Excited

I'll be perfectly honest I usually do around 60-70K a year for work etc but can't wait to get the rental car when in the US. Admittedly I enjoy driving however for me driving in the US is much more pleasurable than here in the UK.
I have no experience with using Uber, Lyft and limited on the public transport in the Orlando area so can't really comment on those.
The only advice I would give you is if you go down the Villa route select the location carefully in regards to your needs and requirements for amenities. As Katie said villa stays do tend to be a different experience to staying on I-Drive.
Personally I enjoy the freedom of having a villa and car and being close enough to everything but far enough away to unwind and relax if/when needed.
ATEOTD it comes down to personal preference, I wouldn't go and not have a car but that me. As i say i'd just weigh up your options, a kind of a pros and cons of what best suits your and your group.
Chris71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have stayed on site once, but off site the rest… I drive, LBV, Villas in Kissimmee and Davenport etc. These days it is generally a villa (but next time an apartment in a LBV hotel that has courtesy transport).

I cannot imagine doing any option without the flexibility of having a hire car.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:21 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Interesting post. Key things I'm seeing are:
  • If you drive a lot in the UK - you don't particularly want to on holiday. It's not a problem if you have to.
  • Staying in a villa most people recommend a car
  • If you're travelling around Florida (or further) a car is needed
  • With the Uber rules at the moment - 6 in a car is not possible. So 2x Uber or a large car rental.
  • If you eat out a lot from the villa at night, the car is best unless you like a drink or two
  • A car is more expensive than Uber, with few exceptions, when adding up car parks, fuel, rental, insurance

If the above are all getting nods - then it seems a car is required.

We've done both. When our girls were younger we had a villa and I didn't mind doing the driving (my wife isn't confident abroad either).

The last few times we've stayed on i drive - where a car wasn't needed except for parks and Rosen Shingle Creek recently.. Uber used a lot and we loved it. We haven't missed having a car with just the two of us and, on a 2 week trip, we think we saved about 50% against a car cost. In fact, having the Uber adds a little social aspect with the locals.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

"it depends". Get a rough itinerary i.e. park day, shop day, KSC day etc and look at indicative hire costs, insurance and parking. Ignore fuel and tolls (consider those "surge pricing" soaks). Now look at rough uber costs for the days and see.

If you are looking at $1500 hire and insurance then this is $100 a day in uber. That will probably get you to a park and back plus out in an evening an back "thereabouts". But what about if you wanted to go to the coast or KSC for the day? Already you are losing out. Waht about shopping? Cars are great for storing bags if you want to shop in multiple places. What about going from a park to somewhere else before returning? 6 will be an issue though and may end up being the deciding factor as the cost of a minivan vs 2 ubers might sway for driving.

Only you can say what your itinerary will be.

Edited at 01:45 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List