Old 21 Aug 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Pumpkin
Imagineer

[WDW-40, 2016] Day 22: Underwater World

Day 22
Discovery Cove
September 25, 2016

I take a lot of photos at Disney! I can never include them all!
All the photos from this day here | Florida 2016 photo collection on Flickr here
WDW-40, 2016: Trip Report Index | Pre-Trip Report

Day 22 of WDW-40 is here! Today we went to Discovery Cove, famous for its dolphin encounter. This was our third visit, and my brother and his wife’s first. We did the dolphin swim back in 2011 on our first visit to Orlando, and have done “non-swim” days since.

Today was my brother and his (now) wife’s penultimate full day in Florida with us – we all couldn’t believe how quickly the past two weeks with them had gone – but we had lots to do yet!

We had booked to go to Discovery Cove, an all-inclusive park where you can swim with a dolphin, snorkel with rays and other tropical fish, ride the soothing currents of a tropical river, as well as see hundreds of tropical birds, and other wildlife.

As I said, it is all-inclusive – so you do not have to worry about paying for food, drinks, towels, wet suits, or snorkelling equipment! There are some features that are extra, but I will go into that as I write about our day, and give you my tips for enjoying your time at Discovery Cove!

Steve and I have been to Discovery Cove twice before – once on our first trip in 2011 where we did the dolphin swim, and again in 2013 where we had a non-swim day. I have always had mixed feelings about Discovery Cove as to whether it is value for money or not… it can be a very expensive day for a family – even if everything is included.

How much it costs depends on the time of year that you go – and if you decide to combine it with other tickets. Discovery Cove is part of SeaWorld’s parks, and you can often buy tickets that include Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, Aquatica (SeaWorld’s Water Park) and Busch Gardens (in Tampa). If you factor that all in, then it can be great value. Only you can decide! Take a read through this trip report and the other two days I’ve highlighted above to help you in your decision making.

And of course, make sure you check out the Discovery Cove website where you will find up-to-date information.

We arrived at around 9am and checked-in. There is likely to be a line, but if you’re on holiday in Orlando, you will be used to this by now!

When you check-in, you are allocated a dolphin swim time (if you are doing it) – this is on a first-come-first-served basis. I think a morning swim is better as it means you can relax for the rest of the day without clock-watching. Chris and Meg had an afternoon swim time and were always checking the time. We had an early swim time back in 2011, but the actual time of it seemed to throw the timings of everything else off (breakfast, lunch etc).

Alcohol is included in the cost of your day at Discovery Cove, so if you want to drink you must bring photo ID with you – your driving license or passport is perfect. At check-in your photo is taken, and you are given a printed card which you wear on a lanyard around your neck. It will indicate that you are over 21 and you can safely tuck your ID away in a locker. You also have the option to attach a debit or credit card so that you don’t have to worry about cash during the day. There is also a handy map attached with time and safety reminders on the back.

Even though the day is all-inclusive, there are still souvenirs to be bought, and the option of buying various photo packages of your dolphin experience.

Tip #1
Arrive early so that you can try and get your dolphin swim time for earlier in the day (it’s a first-come-first-served basis). This means you can enjoy the rest of your day without clock-watching for your time.

It also allows you to plan your day a little bit better as you can figure out when to have breakfast and lunch as there are specific opening times for them.

Discovery Cove opens at 7:15am for check-in and breakfast (served until 10.30). Waterways are open 9:00am – 5:00pm. Lunch is served 11:00am – 3:00pm

Breakfast at Laguna Grill was our first port of call. Laguna Grill is to your right as you enter the park.

Food is laid out buffet style – hot food is served for you, everything else is self serve. Hot food is typical American breakfast fayre – eggs, breakfast potatoes, crispy bacon, sausage patties, biscuits, and yummy French toast fingers. There is also a selection of pastries, fruit, cereals, and yogurt. For drinks there is milk, chocolate milk, juice, tea, coffee and fountain beverages.

Once we had our fill it was time to go and get wetsuits. You can opt for a full suit or just a jacket. And if you are plus-size like I am, please do not panic. I have heard that they do up to size 18X. Me at size UK 32 was in a 5XL jacket. You can switch during the day too – you could wear a full suit for your dolphin experience – the water is cold! And then change to a jacket later in the day.

You must be wearing your wetsuit/jacket at all times when in the water. This is so that lifeguards can spot you in the water.

You can also pick up a net bag with snorkel mask and pipe. You can keep the pipe and take it with you, but you must leave the mask behind.

If you wear prescription glasses (like I do) you can get a suitable mask from Guest Services. You do have to leave a refundable deposit. I can’t quite remember much, but it was a nominal fee. Remember to hand them back at the end of the day, rather than dumping them with all the other regular masks.

Tip #2
If you wear glasses, make sure you have a copy of your prescription so that you can get a mask you can see out of!

You can pick up towels from the changing rooms, as well as have access to suncream which has been formulated to be safe for the animal habitats at Discovery Cove. They did used to have a sachet of suncream in the bag with your snorkelling gear, but I can’t remember now if we had one or not. Either way, it is available for you to use, so you do not have to worry about bringing your own.

Speaking of what not to bring, here is a handy list:

Tip #3
You will need to bring:

Photo ID for everyone over 18
Debit/credit card for optional purchases
Bathing suit and dry clothes
Swim shoes – optional – we find them handy
You do not need to bring:

Towels – they’re provided!
Sun cream – it’s provided!
Food & Beverages – all provided!
Flotation Devices (which include swim fins, noodles) – there are lifevests and noodles that you can use
Jewellery – you are not allowed to wear it for the safety of the animals. Wedding bands are permitted however. Of course you can leave it in a locker (lockers are free), but I find it safer to leave it in the safe at our accommodation – including our wedding rings.

Lockers are free at Discovery Cove, so you can safely stow away your valuables (phone, camera etc) when you want to go in the water. However, why not invest in a waterproof camera. Granted my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT5 is a few years old now, but it is still rated as one of the top 3 tough/waterproof cameras in 2018. It has a 4.6x optical zoom lens, a tough shockproof body, and is waterproof to 13 metres. It even has GPS built in which is so handy when travelling. All the photos in this post are taken with that camera – with minimal editing too!

There are three locker locations – one near each section of Discovery Cove. We spend a lot of time in and around the Grand Reef, so keep our stuff in lockers closest to that. There are also lockers near the Dolphin Lagoon, and all the way over by Wind-Away River. I say all the way over because it feels like a huge distance when you’re at The Grand Reef and need something from your locker!

The Grand Reef at Discovery Cove is a stunning (faux) coral reef filled with rays and thousands of tropical fish. It is far and away my favourite part of Discovery Cove – even more so than the dolphin swim. I find it so relaxing to snorkel in the reef and just drift along, watching the sea life swim by.

Behind a clear screen you will see a variety of sharks including Blacktip Reef Shark, Zebra Shark, and Nurse Shark. There is an optional extra experience of swimming with the sharks. Another extra experience is feeding the reef’s rays.

There is also the unique SeaVenture Experience – an underwater walking tour where, while wearing a dive helmet. This is something I would love to do – it is said to feel like walking on the moon – but surrounded by fish!

Find up-close excitement around every corner, each step yielding a new discovery. Easily climb down a ladder and set foot on the reef floor where you’ll come eye-to-eye with sharks through an 8-foot-tall, 21-foot long panoramic window. During the journey, you’ll experience one-on-one encounters with unique animals, schools of fish and velvety rays. You’ll even get to touch unique sea life found along the way. The adventure ends with schools of fish feeding around you with the massive open reef as your backdrop. – Discovery Cove

All of these extras can be booked and paid for in advance – space is limited. There are other optional upgrades like cabanas, animal encounters and drinks packages.

There are thousands of fish swimming in The Grand Reef, and you can pick up a species guide nearby. It’s fun trying to spot the different fish – some are definitely a lot more elusive than others, but I did find Dory! Lots of photos ahead of the fish I saw swimming around!

The coral is not real – I think it’s some sort of plastic or resin. Some of it can be a bit sharp, so do be mindful of that. I think it looks amazing, and love seeing all the different kinds that have been fashioned for The Grand Reef.

The reef has shallow and deep areas, so that swimmers and non-swimmers can enjoy seeing the aquatic life. I love snorkelling so can happily stay under the water for what feels like hours!

More photos ahead…

OKW '14 | DxDDP '14 + Food Only 1 | Villa '13 | Villa '11 | DLP '10
Mrs Pumpkin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Pumpkin
Imagineer

The Grand Reef is pretty cold – but once you get under the water you get used to the temperature! For warmer water, head over to the Wind-Away River. It’s a bit like a lazy river, but without the floats. Parts of the river are very deep, so if you are not a confident swimmer, consider picking up a flotation life vest from the racks nearby.

There isn’t much to see underwater around here – some rocks here and there, maybe a sunken leaf or two… I always wish they’d put something there to make it more interesting for those who like to swim under the water!

Tip #4
If you or one of your party are not a confident swimmer, you can pick up a flotation life vest from racks around the park.

Ride the soothing currents of a tropical river as it winds past sandy beaches, through a dense rain forest, beneath the rocky terrain of cascading waterfalls, and through an underwater cave.Discovery Cove

We missed a couple of things on this visit – Explorer’s Aviary where hundreds of colourful birds soar above and around you. You can even feed them! We have been in the Aviary before – in 2013, and just like at The Grand Reef, you can pick up a guide telling you the different species that live there. I know we entered Explorer’s Aviary from the Wind-Away River – I don’t know if that is the only way you can get it, or if you can walk there… it’s not very clear on the map either….

Here are a couple of photos from the Aviary in 2013. You can also see my husband wearing one of the life vests as we had just come out of the river to see the birds.

The Freshwater Oasis Experience was new to us in 2013, and we didn’t see it then, or during our 2016 visit either… However, Discovery Cove’s website says:

Freshwater Oasis features wading adventures and face-to-face encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets. Designed with a rainforest canopy above and sparkling clear springs below, you and your family can relax, explore and find endless discoveries.

The animals are behind glass, you don’t actually swim with them!

Also included in your day at Discovery Cove are snacks. Just like the lockers, there is a Refreshment Kiosk at the three different areas of the park. Snacks and drinks are subject to change, but generally you will find: potato chips, warm soft pretzels, sugar-free cookies, fresh fruit, and slushies (Snow Icee), assorted Coke products, water, hot chocolate, and coffee. Over 21s can enjoy these alcoholic beverages: frozen cocktails, red and white wine, and Anheuser-Busch Products.

As you can see from my photo below it is self-serve, but some things are on request. Should the weather turn (as it can quite often do in Orlando), these kiosks do shut up shop until it passes, so if you think rain is on its way, grab a drink and a snack!

Meg and I were very partial to the Pina Colada slushies!

Eventually, Chris and Meg went off for their Dolphin Swim, which is 30-minutes and includes a shallow water dolphin interaction with a deep-water tow for the entire group. You can read about the time Steve, Liam and I did a Dolphin Swim at Discovery Cove in 2011 in our first trippie - link in sig!

While those guys did that, Steve and I went back to The Grand Reef because it’s a lot more exciting than the Wind-Away River! So, you guessed it – more pictures ahead! Oh, I forgot to mention that the water in this reef is salty, so you might want to rinse that salt water off your hair and swimming costume – there are showers both outside and inside – in the three main areas.

We joined up with Chris and Meg again after their Dolphin Swim, and went to go and have some lunch at Laguna Grill. Again it is set up buffet style with part serve/part self-serve.

Now for one reason or another I do not seem to have photos of any of the food. I don’t know if I didn’t have my camera with me, or I just forgot, or… I really can’t remember. Nor can I remember what we had. So I’m just going to copy over the offerings at the moment of writing this up as to what lunch is like at Discovery Cove!

ENTRÉES
  • Bacon Beach Burger
  • Sweet Hawaiian Chicken - Served over a bed of fried rice
  • Sustainable Fish Selection
  • BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich - Served with French Fries and Corn Cobbette
  • Seaside Club Sandwich - Ham, Turkey, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, and Red Onion on fresh baked bread
  • Tropical Summer Cobb Salad - Fresh greens tossed with Feta Cheese, Cranberry, Red Onion, Orange Segments, Lo Mein Noodles, and Honey Mustard dressing. Your choice of Crispy or Grilled Chicken.
  • Chicken Tenders - Served with choice of French Fries or Corn Cobbette
  • Island hot Dog
  • Served with French Fries
  • Home Made Macaroni & Cheese
  • Penne Pasta - Choice of Cheesy Alfredo or Marinara with meatballs

SIDES
  • Fruit Cup
  • Salad
  • Rice
  • Steamed Vegetables
  • French Fries
  • Macaroni & Cheese

DESSERTS
  • Chocolate Chip Cake
  • Cherry Cheesecake
  • Carrot Cake
  • Tropical Cake
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Assorted Pastries

KID’S MENU
  • Hot Dog - Served with French Fries or choice of side.
  • Chicken Tenders - Served with French Fries or choice of side.
  • Hamburger - Served with French Fries or choice of side.
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Pasta with Marinara and/or Meatballs

Food and beverages at Discovery Cove are unlimited, so you can go through the buffet line as many times as you like! Keep in mind it is not open all day long. Lunch is served 11:00am to 3:00pm.

To be fair, the food sounds very similar to when we went in 2013, so here are some photos from that time…

The rest of our day was spent just hanging out – either on the beach, in the reef, or back over at the river. I really do not have much more to tell you about Discovery Cove other than this visit was fab – and I think one of my favourites. All that was missing was my son, who had stayed back home in the UK because of work and college.

The whole park is a tropical oasis, and you can really take the day to unwind, recharge your batteries, and have a lovely relaxing time.

I’ll close out with some more photos from around Discovery Cove, before my final words!

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that parking is free at Discovery Cove! So here’s a quick snap of part of the parking lot, and of the road sign as you turn into Discovery Cove.

It is a long day at Discovery Cove – and even though you’re not rushing around, all that relaxing takes it out of you! We dropped Chris and Meg back to their Disney Resort, and Steve and I went home to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. We had been fed well during the day, but found ourselves peckish in the evening. Luckily I had bought a couple of snack platters on our previous Walmart trip so we snacked on those for dinner before crashing out!

Tomorrow we head to Disney Hollywood Studios, for Chris and Meg’s last full day in Orlando!

Read about the day after:
Day 23: Singing In The Rain »
Shopping / Hollywood Studios / Dinner at Manny’s Chop House

Read about the day before:
Day 21: Out Of Africa »
Check In – Animal Kingdom Villas: Kidani Village / Afternoon Tea at Grand Floridian / Dinner at Jiko – The Cooking Place

Read ALL the days!

Edited at 11:45 AM.
Mrs Pumpkin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

Lovely day!
I have never been to the discovery cove, always find the cost for 1 day to high.
But maybe give it a go..
Did you miss having a cabana?
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great pictures 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thx for such a detailed report. My daughter & I are going to DC for the 1st time next Feb so your info is really helpful. It’s a surprise birthday treat for her so I want to buy a waterproof camera but not sure what to get. Your photos are gorgeous but I can’t find that model on sale anywhere. Is the FT30, the current version?
( sorry - I know nothing about cameras )
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Pumpkin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
Lovely day!
I have never been to the discovery cove, always find the cost for 1 day to high.
But maybe give it a go..
Did you miss having a cabana?
It all depends when you go, as they have high, mid (I think) and low seasons... then if you can combine it with other tickets for SeaWorld, Aquatica (and Busch Gardens) then that is when I think it becomes great value. It is a day like no other, and worth doing at least once if you can get a good price.

Don't miss a cabana at all - too busy for most of the day being in the water!

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Great pictures 👍
Thank you!

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Thx for such a detailed report. My daughter & I are going to DC for the 1st time next Feb so your info is really helpful. It’s a surprise birthday treat for her so I want to buy a waterproof camera but not sure what to get. Your photos are gorgeous but I can’t find that model on sale anywhere. Is the FT30, the current version?
( sorry - I know nothing about cameras )
Aww, happy birthday to your daughter for next year - hope it's not too cold in February! We're going in March (to WDW, not DC) and I'm already worried about the weather

Yes, the Lumix FT30 seems to be the current model - it looks exactly the same to me when I've quickly searched on line - pretty cheap too at around £99!
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thx. I’m now reading the rest of your trip report. Your photos are so good, it’s taking me ages... 😍

That’s not a complaint btw. 😂
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

A great trip report, we are going next year. Did you buy the photo package or know how much it is please? I've looked online but can't find a price anywhere.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Pumpkin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Thx. I’m now reading the rest of your trip report. Your photos are so good, it’s taking me ages... 😍

That’s not a complaint btw. 😂
Thanks To be fair it's taking me ages to write this report!

Originally Posted by Tate2016 View Post
A great trip report, we are going next year. Did you buy the photo package or know how much it is please? I've looked online but can't find a price anywhere.
We bought the photo package on our very first trip back in 2011 - the whole shebang with a DVD, framed pics of the dolphin swim etc, I'm sure it was around $200 - pricey and looking back, not really worth the money!
Old 28 Aug 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you, is there an option where you can buy individual photos?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List