Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Jan 22, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Radel
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Do people use the 27 all the way or just some of the way.
Does anyone have any suggestions of good places to stop/have a break
Radel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Radel View Post
You can pick up the 27 around 3 miles from MIA then it's dual carriageway all the way to the WDW area.

We didn't stop but you do pass through a few towns such as Clewiston, Sebring and Haines City where there'll be loads of dining options.

Mick
Old 10 Jan 22, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Radel View Post
Any time we have done this, we have had a quick stop around Lewiston.
US27 goes pretty much the whole way to WDW.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
shabba
Apprentice Imagineer

shabba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yep, we always stop in Clewiston. Walmart for the majority of our supplies as cheaper than the Orlando stores.
Beef OBradys for lunch- not bank breaking. Dunkin for Coffee & a McDonald's if wanting cheaper eats.

All directly on the US 27, so you don't have to turn off & travel searching for them.
shabba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I wouldn't expect to pay much more than the price of a Disney burger.
Old 12 Jan 22, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Another vote for the 27 here.

Turnpike *should* be quicker but in reality as it's busy and lots of people drive quickly there is more chance of disruption due to accidents. If you get a clear run, and are willing to "keep up with the crowd," it's possible to be up in Orlando in just under 3hrs but in reality that is quite rare as every time apart from one that we've used it there have been multiple delays due to accidents.

The 27 is much more consistent in terms of how long it takes (3.5hrs), and a more relaxing drive. You can just mosey along at 65mph without worrying about holding folk up as it's so quiet.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rose89
Helping Minnie

We used Tolls one way MIA to Orlando in our Budget hire car and have been charged USD131.89 for it.

Waiting to hear back from Budget and BA (who we booked through) as this seems ridiculously high but they don't break it down on the invoice it just says 'tolls' which includes the cost of their toll pass which we were told was payable per day only for the days you used it.
2024 All Star Music Resort/2023 Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea & Universal Osaka/2022 Rosen Inn Lake Buena Vista/2022 Pop Century/2021 Rosen Inn Lake Buena Vista/2019 Caribbean Beach & Endless Summer Surfside/2018 Disneyland California & Universal Hollywood/2017 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando/2016 Rosen Inn International/2014 Disneyland Paris/2012 Pop Century/2010 Econolodge Inn & Suites/1999 Kissimmee/1997 Quality Inn I- Drive
Rose89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

If heading from MIA to Fort lauderdale will we hit tolls on that road? Looks like I95 all the way..
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
If heading from MIA to Fort lauderdale will we hit tolls on that road? Looks like I95 all the way..
I95 itself does not have any tolls.
Old 14 Jan 22, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I drove back from Miami yesterday on the Turnpike after travelling last Friday on 27. IMO both roads are incredibly boring. I certainly didn't feel less safe on the Turnpike. It was was my first time using 27 and I won't be repeating the experience.

Traffic on the Turnpike was fine. I will try and update the cost of tolls when I get a chance to look at my Sunpass statement. It can't be too much as I didn't notice any over $2 per the signs and there aren't really that many.