Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 14 Jan 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

VPN help

Anyone have a simple explanation of what it is/ how it works for someone totally clueless? 🤷

I think I need a VPN to access Disney American site to check out us offers and to arrange a DAS pass. I’m not very tech savvy and Google is confusing my more so if anyone has an idiots guide I’d be very appreciative. I get that it’s to block my location but that’s the extent of my knowledge 🙈.

If I download a vpn on iPad is it always there until deleted or is it something you turn on and off? If so how?

And lastly anyone recommend a particular one? Is a free one adequate or should I expect to pay?
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by donna252 View Post
Anyone have a simple explanation of what it is/ how it works for someone totally clueless? 🤷

I think I need a VPN to access Disney American site to check out us offers and to arrange a DAS pass. I’m not very tech savvy and Google is confusing my more so if anyone has an idiots guide I’d be very appreciative. I get that it’s to block my location but that’s the extent of my knowledge 🙈.

If I download a vpn on iPad is it always there until deleted or is it something you turn on and off? If so how?

And lastly anyone recommend a particular one? Is a free one adequate or should I expect to pay?
Get Nord with TopCashBack or whatever. Do a search on Google for offers. I think I paid £50 for 3 years or something. It’s well worth it. I’ve had quite a few, it’s easily the best. You just switch it on and off on the app, and select country etc.
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network - basically it makes the traffic from your iPad or laptop appear as if it's coming from another location. If you need to be "in a country - say the US" to access a particular website then you use a VPN. It also encrypts your traffic. There are lots of free ones and depending on them - they may always start up but usually you have to say whether you want it on or not. Here is a link to a list of reviewed free ones. techradar/uk/vpn/best-free-vpn
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Get Nord with TopCashBack or whatever. Do a search on Google for offers. I think I paid £50 for 3 years or something. It’s well worth it. I’ve had quite a few, it’s easily the best. You just switch it on and off on the app, and select country etc.
So probably another stupid question but just checking im grasping it 🙈 so I download the vpn then will have the vpn as an app on iPad. To use it I open app and turn it on and just access the American site through there?
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I have Norton Antivirus subscription and VPN is one of the extras which is included. For me, I have Norton App on my desktop and phone. I click into the App, and click VPN and can select a country which I want the internet to know I am located in. My default is Ireland. Its not just for accessing the American Disney website. It also means that when I'm out and about in Ireland and connect to free Wifi on Dublin Bus, it also protects me.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

I use Yoga VPN on an app. You just click on it and it starts up - you can get more credits by watching a short video.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by donna252 View Post
So probably another stupid question but just checking im grasping it 🙈 so I download the vpn then will have the vpn as an app on iPad. To use it I open app and turn it on and just access the American site through there?
Once you have a VPN turned on, you need to make sure that it is set to the country you want, ie America. Exit the App, not log out and then just go to your preferred browser and go to the website.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Once you have a VPN turned on, you need to make sure that it is set to the country you want, ie America. Exit the App, not log out and then just go to your preferred browser and go to the website.
Perfect thank you for the explanation!
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I have ExpressVPN which isn’t friends with The Dibb, so watch out for that
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
maudyhill
VIP Dibber

maudyhill's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
When its on it is usually displayed on the top right hand corner of ipad.

Mandy xx
Best Western ID 1994, DLP Santa Fe 2004, Quailty inn plaza ID 2008
Emerald Island Kissimmee 2011 , San Francisco / yosemite 2012
Emerald island Kissimmee 2013, Esprit estate Davenport 2015, new york 2016, Emerald Island Kissimmee 2017, San fran, LA & Vegas 2018, Newyork 7/2019, Emerald Island 10/2019, HighGrove 03/2022, Thousand Oaks 11/2022
maudyhill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List