Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Where do you get this melatonin ? Husband and son back to school and work day after we land this year 😟
I got some in target. It’s down the supplements aisle.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Got my melatonin from Walgreens.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd say that it takes a day for every hour time difference to fully get over jetlag. So give it another couple of days and you'll be fine.
I got home from California which is 8 hours behind, and it was only after a week I felt back to normal
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I agree that getting back to work does help force you back into your normal routine as there's no chance of a nap! I've stopped booking a few extra days off now as it makes jet lag worse as there is the option of staying up really late, sleeping in and having day time naps.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I got some in target. It’s down the supplements aisle.
Thing to remember is that although it is marketed as a supplement in the US, in the UK it is a prescription only medication. It has some serious interactions with other medication - you must not take it with blood thinning or anti-platelet meds for instance (including aspirin!) as it also slows blood clotting. And as with most medication has some side effects.

Would make sure doctor thinks it is OK for you before taking it.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
I always struggle with jetlag coming home. It seemed to take ages for me to get back to normal after our 2015 trip.
Old 22 Oct 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
The biggest thing is if you can have as many days as possible to adjust naturally before you "have" to get up at a reasonable UK time. The worst I had it was when I went to work 24 hours after landing back in the UK. That took until the next weekend to sort out. Being forced to go back to work/school etc before you're ready, coupled with missing sleep on the plane is what cripples people. Both really stress the body.

I've tried sleeping when we get back, and staying awake when we get back. The trick is to try and stay on Florida time at least a little bit, and sleep with your body clock as much as you can. I've got it absolutely sussed on the way out, never suffer even a little bit. Coming home is different, I can reduce it, but never get rid altogether.

The best I can offer coming home is to sleep when you get home for a few hours, till about 12, so you're still roughly on Florida time, but are getting up early. Then go to bed at about 8-9pm. This may sound too early, but it coincides with mid-late afternoon Florida time, which is a natural circadian low, so you will get to sleep much easier than you would a couple of hours later. You are effectively having an afternoon nap during the day after a night when you had very little sleep, so you can drop off. You may then wake up during the night, but that's much less stressful as by then you know you've already had a couple of hours sleep. If you get lucky, you will sleep right through to Florida bedtime, and then be able to wake up on UK time. This still isn't great as it's a very early Florida/bodyclock morning, but it seems to work best for me, and as I said over the years I've tried allsorts.

Also the clean sheets before you go, so you've a nice fresh "own" bed to get into also makes a massive difference if anybody doesn't do it.
The times I have the least jet lag is when I travel with work and go straight from Plane to office. Having to focus on work distracts me and I am pretty much back on UK time immediately.

When I travel for leisure and come home I often end up asleep on the sofa in the afternoon which is less perfect but other than some trouble getting off to sleep for the next few days it isn't too bad.
vhm672 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We also got back on Thursday and our sleep has been awful. I still can’t sleep properly. I’m going to sleep at the worst times and waking up in the afternoon.
Old 22 Oct 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I always suffered terribly, but zero jet lag this year after using melatonin.
Same here, I'm so glad we used it.
Old 22 Oct 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
As soon as I get home, around 10am, I go straight to bed for a few hours until I wake up naturally. Then eat, unpack, sort the post etc. Go to bed at my normal U.K. time. Next morning I’m more or less ok.
Exactly this, sleep 3ish hours, potter around have tea shower bed UK time