Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Miami Area Help

Hi everyone. I was thinking of going west and a last hurrah with DD,s (21 & 17) but I’m not convinced and still feel we have a lot to see in Florida, that’s where you come in ! Always flew into MCO and had park based holidays, however also had a car and travelled round a little bit. I would now like to see the Miami area but also include driving back up towards the parks and stopping off at other places.

Can I please ask for suggestions on what would make a good trip please.

DD says she has found some flights with Virgin, last week June, first week July, £371 each into Miami. Is this a good price also ?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Edited at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We always used to fly into Miami and we loved seeing Florida. A typical trip would be a few nights at Sunny Isles, North Miami then head down to Key Largo, followed by Key West. On the way up we would typically break the journey towards Orlando. We once stayed in Fort Lauderdale. After a big part of the holiday in Orlando we’d spend the last few nights on the Gulf Coast. We did Naples one time and the other time was St. Petes.

In terms of price I think there were some better deals recently within the English school holiday period, so June could maybe be a bit cheaper.

We have booked to fly into Fort Lauderdale, so that could be an option.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Mobile

Are the prices into FL comparable ?
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

TBH, Florida is great for two key things -
1. Parks
2. Relaxing by a pool in a villa.

If you want to do a road type trip and see part of the world, in my view there are many much better places to go - West to Arizona and California, Vancouver and Rockies and New England to name a few in the USA.
Compared to these, Florida doesnt really rate on any scale in terms of seeing stuff.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Are the prices into FL comparable ?
They've been leapfrogging the last few weeks.

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
1. Parks

If you want to do a road type trip and see part of the world, in my view there are many much better places to go - West to Arizona and California, Vancouver and Rockies and New England to name a few in the USA.
Compared to these, Florida doesnt really rate on any scale in terms of seeing stuff.
I agree re road trip scenery not being as dramatic, but for us there was a lot of variety in the character of the places. So Key Largo has a very different feel from Miami. Key West is very different to Naples etc.

More of a journey' s end road trip than a massive experience en route. Having said that Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys is fantastic.
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
1. Parks

With the notable exception of a trip down to key west across the bridges
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Having said that Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys is fantastic.
That brought back memories, we went to Miami around 1980 and decided to drive down to Key West, not realising quite how far it was. The Keys were always shown in a little box on a map and didn't look that far. Stopped at a KFC just before 7 mile bridge and got a take away, couldn't find anywhere to stop and see the sea so I said "we'll just pop over this bridge and park up". It was just the old bridge back then, 1 lane in each direction...not my best decision!

Missed the sunset and the last road train, went to the most Southerly point sign took a photo and drove back. Miami was a dangerous place back then but Miami Beach was fine.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I do agree the trip down the keys is spectacular and id definitely something to do.
I guess it depends on the time available.
A few days when already in Florida - then this is a great thing to do. A few weeks, then many better places in my view. But I really dont like KW though.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Agree with you on key west but some of the mid key islands are pure paradise
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Mobile

Many thanks for your replies, I was considering the west coast but discouraged by a lot of comments about traffic and long distances to cover. I think I’m after a holiday that will include the parks to a lesser degree but also see more of Florida that we haven’t like Miami, Naples, key west areas like this,