Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Aug 16, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Couple of questions about Miami

Just researching hotels at the moment. We are staying 5 days and hoping to stay in hotel on the beach. What I'm wondering is resort fees what are they I keep reading about them.

Is there any area I should avoid or particular hotel?

I also notice parking seems expensive would I be better if not getting our car until ready to drive to Orlando.

We have been to Orlando a few times before but never Miami is there any other big differences I need to look out for? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

To start Miami and Miami Beach are two separate cities. There are some beaches in Miami, but the famous beaches are in Miami Beach, the SoBe, or South Beach area. SoBe us a very fashionable area and much more expensive than Orlando. Most hotels on SoBe dont have parking, so you're on the street. Real estate is very expensive, so any areas set aside for parking are expensive, just like London, or any other major city. There are over 7 million residents in the Greater Miami area.

Resort fees are an added cost that resorts charge as a sneaky way of charging you more. You can't refuse to pay them. If you don't want to pay a resort fee, look for somewhere without them.

As in any major city there are areas to avoid, a few not too far from the airport, but on the whole you'd have to go out of your way to find them. If you're driving around at least plan your route before you leave.
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We stayed on south beach a couple of weeks ago. Virtually all hotels charge a resort fee. You just need to factor it into your room rate
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Stayed 4 nights at Room mate Lord Balfour - their resort fee gave us sunbeds and parasol on the beach + towels. Loved it - was quieter SoFi area. Was pre cruise so no car but plenty restaurants, Walgreens and Lincoln Road Mall close by. Booked with booking.com
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks so much for the replies. I think we have settled on Loews beach hotel I think I've spelt that wrong. It seems to be in a good location.

Thanks for all the information on resort fees, first time I've ever come accross them.

We've decided not to bother with the car until the day we drive to Orlando the hotel is pricey enough + the resort fees but we wanted to be in a good location.

One last thing tipping I know not usually allowed talk about on the dibb but it's not a how much question. Some people say it's already included when you get your bill like 20%? Is this correct?

Thanks for all the replies really appreciate it.
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by orlandolover04 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. I think we have settled on Loews beach hotel I think I've spelt that wrong. It seems to be in a good location.

Thanks for all the information on resort fees, first time I've ever come accross them.

We've decided not to bother with the car until the day we drive to Orlando the hotel is pricey enough + the resort fees but we wanted to be in a good location.

One last thing tipping I know not usually allowed talk about on the dibb but it's not a how much question. Some people say it's already included when you get your bill like 20%? Is this correct?

Thanks for all the replies really appreciate it.
It's a lovely hotel in a great spot. When are you thinking of going? When we were there a couple of weeks ago Loews had major renovations going on at the back of the hotel - pool area. It looked lovely and will be great when it's finished but I would check it will be finished before your stay.
Most places have been infusing 18/20% service charge but it is still discretionary
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It's a lovely hotel in a great spot. When are you thinking of going? When we were there a couple of weeks ago Loews had major renovations going on at the back of the hotel - pool area. It looked lovely and will be great when it's finished but I would check it will be finished before your stay.
Most places have been infusing 18/20% service charge but it is still discretionary
Hi Colette, we are going in November. I've booked Loews now it did say there would be renovations but hopefully they won't bother us too much. Great to hear that it's in a good location! Now I need to book my accommodation for Orlando!

Edited at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 14 Aug 16, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread