Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Jan 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
RealCinderella
Excited about Disney

How do I request Assistance at Orlando

I will be travelling alone with my daughter who has severe learning disabilities and autism.

I need assistance from the gate of the plane, through immigration (avoiding the huge cattle hurding area which she will be terrified of) and getting us through the baggage claim and to the Magical Express Area along with our luggage and a pushchair.

How do I request this, is it through the airline or some other way?
Old 29 Jan 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Following as we are in the same boat and when I called virgin the lady wasn't very helpful about that side of things. I have read that people say there is someone to ask when you arrive and they direct you to a special queue but I'm not sure how true that is

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 17, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
scottiedogz
Very Serious Dibber

They do it for you - if you need help to get on the plane, they are waiting at the other end to help you. Ideally they put you in a wheelchair and accompany you through all the check points.
Ring Virgin special assistance and tell them everything you need, they will book it in advance and then when you check in just mention it again and they will do the necessary things. They really are very helpful, and you get through immigration really quickly, even though you have to wait until everyone is off the plane in Orlando - you zip straight past them. Good luck.

Miami - June 19, Orlando/Miami Oct 18, Washington DC Dec 17, DLP - Aug 17, Florida road trip - April 17, NY & QM2 Oct 16, Orlando - Nov 15 - Oct 14 - Nov 13 - Med Cruise (yuk - missed Florida) May 12, Washington DC Dec 12, Orlando - April 10, DLP - Dec 10, Orlando & wedding - Nov 08, DLP - Aug 07
scottiedogz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I emailed special_assistance@fly.virgin.com
Got a prompt reply asking about what assistance I required. A wheelchair was waiting for us - just give your name getting off the plane and they check on a handheld computer. They also helped us with luggage and took us all the way to our hire car.

After years of special assistance we no longer wait till the end to get off as they tell you too. Always wheelchairs waiting and as I said they were checking names this year.

Edited at 07:51 PM.
Teach0778 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
zingy
VIP Dibber

zingy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I travel alone with my daughter who suffers with Autism.I use her own lightweight wheelchair.I try and ask a skycap if he would help myself and daughter through immigration and transfer on the monorail to the transport area.Sometimes it has been successful,others dreadful.I have struggled with my daughter having a major meltdown at the immigration stage with her refusing to do the normal screening.Its the only part of the travel to Florida that I dread.We love Going ,so offering a skycap a nice tip to get you through the process sometimes works.
zingy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post

As others have said, it's the airline's responsibility to book special assistance for you at Orlando, and your departure airport as well if you need it as that can be quite an ordeal too.

I flew from MAN to MCO in May 2016 with VA and booked special assistance at both ends as I don't walk too well now. I was pushed through MAN on a wheelchair and taken through security and right up to the departure gate. I was then allowed to board early. Very handy and good.

At MCO, a assistant was waiting at the plane exit with a wheelchair and he took me through the disabled line at immigration. The previous year, my daughter was allowed to accompany me through the disabled line. The queue was very short.

The assistant then recovered my suitcase from the carousel ant it fitted very nicely underneath the wheelchair. We then boarded the monorail to my destination - the hotel shuttle bus collection point. He was given a tip of course.

Don't worry about special assistance at MCO - other than demanding the service when you return. I failed to speak up and got no more than a shrug of the shoulders at check in when I enquired. The security check before boarding took about an hour and I nearly didn't make it. The same nearly happened at MAN (no wheelchair to be seen) but I was intercepted by a keen eyed 'queue marshal' who sent me to the disabled line for a passport check. Boy, was I glad!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List