Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 10 Feb 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Advice please - being thick! Wheelchairs

Hi

Hoping you can help. My mum's had her back operation postponed so she's going to have difficulty in WDW. She can walk but she can't walk long distances and more importantly she can't stand for long periods of time. This isn't an issue at home cause she just makes sure she doesn't have to do either.

We are hiring a wheelchair for WDW as a back up (well, she says back up but I'm certain she'll be in it for the park days, she just doesn't like being a 'pain' *sigh*) Anyway I've read about hiring etc on here but I'm confused by the other things.

Do I need to get a guest assistance card? Do I need to tell magical express, hotels etc? She'd be ok walking to the elevator in hotels so we don't need a special room. But probably couldn't stand as we rode the buses.

We've never travelled with anyone who has needed to use a chair before. Help?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

FIL needed a wheelchair in the parks last year. We just went to the wheelchair rental each day and paid to hire one. I think if you will be needing one for the buses, you won't be able to do this, as you can't take them out of the park., Could you get one before you go, I think the airlines carry them for free?

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
FIL needed a wheelchair in the parks last year. We just went to the wheelchair rental each day and paid to hire one. I think if you will be needing one for the buses, you won't be able to do this, as you can't take them out of the park., Could you get one before you go, I think the airlines carry them for free?
Hi, yep, we've already booked a chair for the whole stay, thank you, I was asking more about anything else I need to do with it. Like do I need the guest card etc for the buses or in the park cause mum can't stand in the queues.
Old 10 Feb 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You won't get a DAS card for mobility issues as the problems are obvious. There is a special park map for disabled in each park at the entrances which gives you all the info you'll need for rides etc. As far as the buses go there is usually a special queue for wheelchairs as they are always loaded on first and at the middle door of the bus. Don't worry, Disney and Universal make it really easy for disabled guests.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post

thank you!
Old 11 Feb 17, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by seobaina View Post
Hi, yep, we've already booked a chair for the whole stay, thank you, I was asking more about anything else I need to do with it. Like do I need the guest card etc for the buses or in the park cause mum can't stand in the queues.
Hi,
Where did you book your wheelchair from? Approx how much was it? Please.
I've had a knee replacement, my other one needs doing too. I'm same as your Mum can't walk too far or stand for too long as it's extremely painful.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
Hi,
Where did you book your wheelchair from? Approx how much was it? Please.
I've had a knee replacement, my other one needs doing too. I'm same as your Mum can't walk too far or stand for too long as it's extremely painful.
I left mum booking it tbh but the three sites we looked at were:

1) bpmobility/faq/

2) applescooter/

3) caremedicalequipment/wheelchairs.htm

All disney recommended so they can drop the chair off at the hotel if you're staying on site. And around $80ish for a week
Old 11 Feb 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thankyou for the information.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List