Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Feb 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

The Grand Tour - Grand Canal to Grand Palace – Venice to Bangkok January 2017 Day 2 (Venice)

The Grand Tour - Grand Canal to Grand Palace – Venice to Bangkok January - 2017

Link to trip report index: Here

Day 2 - Sunday 8th January 2017

The bells, the bells!

Being Sunday morning they were certainly making sure that the faithful weren’t considering a lie in this morning!

No big deal as it was about 9am by now and Alison had managed to sleep through all the alarms she had set.

It was another lovely sunny (but cold day)

We tried to shower but the pressure was so low it wasn’t worth it – we assumed there were a lot of people showering and decided to just have a wash and go and have breakfast first and shower afterwards.

We went down to breakfast and found the usual mix of people in the breakfast area, predominantly tourists from various other parts of Europe, so we people watched for a while over breakfast.

The breakfast buffet itself was quite good – scrambled eggs, sausage, potato croquettes, cold meats and cheeses, pancakes, rolls, pastries, croissants, fruit, fruit salad, cereals, juices, coffee and tea a crowning glory of prosecco!

Part way through there was a lot of murmuring as the coffee machine broke down, which turned out to be due to no water pressure. We waited a while to see if the issue could be fixed but gave up and went back to our room. And found that we had no water at all – couldn’t even flush the loo!

There was a tiny dribble of water out of the tap so we managed to brush our teeth. We rang down to reception who said there was a problem with the whole street and it was being worked on. We just left it at that and headed out for the day.

We walked through San Marco

Today we decided to have a day of island hopping around the lagoon so bought a 24 hour pass for the boat system at 20 euros each. Our first stop was the island of Murano, famous for the glass making, and although the weather was quite fresh the sky was the most beautiful blue colour.

Once off the boat there was some soft pressure to go and visit a glass making factory / glass blowing demonstration but we politely declined. We pottered around the island taking in the sights.

We stopped at Campo Santo Stefano, which is notable for its clock tower that dates to the 19th century, and marvelled at the huge glass sculpture that had been installed which reflected the colour of the sky.

We pottered around for a bit and had a coffee and panino (yup, Panini is plural!) each at a total cost of 12 euros.

We window shopped in the many independent glass shops were you could literally buy anything in any size and shape imaginable. We settled on a very small shop, well away from the main tourist drag and bought a glass ornament for our Christmas tree. (We try to buy either a tree ornament or a fridge magnet – sometimes both – from all our travels. Lots of happy memories every year when we bring out the tree!)

We decided that that was enough of Murano (it’s a very tiny place), and to move onto Burano Island. We had a bit of a faff trying to find the right pier but quickly got back on track and on our way.

Arriving at Burano was a bit like landing at Balamory with all their brightly coloured houses, not pristine but slightly “shabby chic” and more of a real community feel than Murano. It felt slightly intrusive, nosing around the island and backstreets of people’s everyday living but interesting all the same.

After a long wander round we decided to have a last break before heading back to central Venice and we had coffee and a cake each in a small restaurant, mainly locals in here with the odd tourist, not including us Total cost 8 euros

The sun was slowly dipping down on the horizon so we thought it would be time to make a move back. With elbows sharpened we managed to get some seats on the boat and watched the spectacular sunset as we made our long way back.

We didn’t take in La Isla de San Michele or Cimitero as it was getting late and dark by now and we were not sure how much we’d be able to see in the dimming light.

Alison had a brainwave (she does get them from time to time!) and we went and found our next hotel that we’d be using at the end of our trip on the return leg just to get our bearings. It all looks good from the outside and just down the road from McDonalds!

Once back at our current hotel we found that the water issue had been sorted so it was time for a shower and get ready for a meal tonight.

We settled on a small restaurant nearby that seemed to fit the bill, not too far from our hotel. It was not too busy here although I think most locals don’t eat until later and when the server asked me what size beer I wanted I settled on a large one. Little did I know that large equals 1.5 litres! I manfully drank it all down, partly due to the fact that I probably hadn’t drunk enough throughout the day.

We considered having some wine but at 30 euro’s a bottle we decided against it. We shared a platter of meats and cheeses to start and then had a pizza each.

Alison just had a coke and then a bottle of sparkling water and then I had a small beer! Total cost of the meal was 100 euros. We were spending money far faster than we thought we would here!

The night was still young and we fancied a night cap - luckily we came across the Hard Rock café, probably the world’s smallest one ever. Tiny bar area with a few Korean tourists around and before long the video was playing Gangnam Style, which the waitress keenly engaged the Koreans in some impromptu dancing. I respectfully declined, not wanting to show them up

It was a great atmosphere in here – all the tables around the bar were taken, but it wasn’t packed. The staff were good fun and we had a laugh with them. Alison had a cocktail

followed by a coffee and I had a Jameson’s followed by a Glenmorangie so that rounded the day off nicely, if not in a somewhat unexpected and bizarre way. We were slightly dreading the bill but it turned out to be a reasonable (for Venice!) 32 euros.

We wandered back to the hotel at 11pm and crashed out for the night.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 12:19 AM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Fabulous. I love Venice - there is just so much to see. Something to be found around every corner. Fabulous picture of St Marks from your hotel! Loved your comment re panino. Everybody knows Scampi but doesn't realise a single one is scampo! Nice to see PROPER pizzas too and not the doughy, thick rubbish you get so often in the U.K. Looking forward to more of your trip. Bring it on! Prendilo!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
rens
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Beautiful weather- my sister was in Venice a few days ago and it rained non stop! Food looks lovely but very pricey!
rens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another lovely day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

The food does look lovely,love the colourful houses, every photo looks so beautiful.
Old 18 Feb 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What interesting architecture. Love the glass work.

And to repeat what I wrote on day 1 - ouch at the prices. I would love to go but at that much for meals I am not so sure!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Your food bils are scaring me! But it looks a great trip.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Another great day,beautiful pictures and delicious food
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List