General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jan 16, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Pizzas, planning, & plenty of birthday fun! - Rome & Florence - June 2015 - Day 4

Pizzas, planning, & plenty of birthday fun! - Rome & Florence - June 2015 - Day 4
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

VERY early start this morning, so early it was still dark when we got up, last night probably wasn’t the best night to get a little tipsy and I was really feeling it this morning :/

We were first into the breakfast room this morning, pretty much getting there for the start of service. We ate quickly before heading out and heading towards manzoni metro station. This was generally in the same location as we’d gotten the bus the day before. We were soon at Ottaviano, the recommended stop for the vatican.

Now I’d heard some horror stories about the vatican, in particular how busy it gets so I had booked us on a walksofitaly tour called “pristine sistine”. I’d checked out many tours and decided this one was the best for us, not the most expensive and great reviews. The tours cost €160 for the two of us, so Ł115 ish

The meeting point was by a cafe close by at 7.20 (yep, so you can guess what time we got up and why it was dark, when I said early, I really meant it!). Here we were separated into groups, introduced to our guide and given head sets. There were around 8 groups in total so it was clearly a popular tour. There as some faff as we were the group asked to wait for late comers… brilliant but we were soon on our way. We arrived at the entrance at 7.45 and it was packed! There was a big line for group entrance and we joined the back of it. I realised after 15 minutes that this was nothing compared to how long the line could get and also how long the normal, none group line was getting considering general entrance didn’t start for another 90 minutes!

Still, whilst we waited for 8am our guide carried on giving us lots of information on the building, what would happen when we got in and handing out info sheets for whilst in the sistine chapel.

There was one line moving but it was for “preferred” group entrance, I’d considered these groups but decided against it as they were more expensive. Basically they get in first :P

Once the line started moving Julia (our guide) ushered us to the side whilst she braved the crowds and grabbed our tickets. The entrance hall was hectic but I’m glad we were kept away from most of it!

Finally we were off. Now in my head I thought we’d be marching straight through the museum to the sistine chapel which is at the end, but no, we stopped several times on the way, first to sit and discuss what we would see when we finally got there but also to look at other rooms on the way as Julia explained they would be VERY busy when we came back through.

AWFUL pic, hungover although there is no excuse! :P

See nice and quiet!

The hall of maps was my favourite

although it was yet again something under renovation!

Here there are maps of all of italy. I said to Adam we should try and find his Dad’s village but realised that might take time we didn’t have and started heading out, and then I saw it, right where we’d stopped!

Cerchiara

fab! it was strange to see other places which have since changed names, it made we realise how old the village actually is!

We walked for what felt ages, through lots of different rooms, stopping occasionally to look at certain things

The ceilings were my favourite part

Finally we made it, and I understood why we’d been holding back, all the “preferred” groups had run straight here whilst we’d held back so now it was nice and quiet. Those groups had gone but general admission hadn’t reached it yet, perfect timing!

No pictures were allowed and we had 20 minutes. I explored for a bit before finding a seat at the side so I could look up at the ceiling in silence. Now I’m not religious in the slightest, however there is something so calming and “spiritual’ about the chapel it was amazing. I’m so glad we came early as I don’t think it would have been the same full of people.

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 16, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Next we worked our way through the rest of the museum. Now the only negative with the tour is that they don’t take you around the whole museum, it’s huge, there just wouldn’t be time. Instead it’s just the highlights which if I’m honest was more than enough!

It was now getting rather busy, and as we started to head back through the bits we’d already seen it was a completely different and unenjoyable experience!

A highlight were the Raphael Rooms

It was packed so we had to move around and be patient, waiting to get in a good position for photos

next we walked through the last remaining Borgia rooms, the ceiling was amazing, well they all were!

We took a quick walk through the modern section as well

and then headed out

This is the exit, on the right is a manned door straight into St Peter’s for tour groups only, if you’re not on a tour you have to head outside and join the queues to get in. Now apparently this door isn’t always guarded, so you could, in theory, risk it and head in on your own, however on this visit there wasn’t a chance so I was pretty glad I was on a tour!

here were the crowds! this place was incredible, we could have ended the tour here but it was just so busy we took a few photos but didn’t stay much longer.

Once out we said goodbye to Julia and went to grab some shade

June 15-Rome & Florence
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 16, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Today was HOT!

As we reached the end I noticed the queue!

It snaked all the way from the left hand side, across the square and round the other side, insane!

this is the back, halfway round

Apparently from here you can expect a 1-2 hour wait!

So overall we were very impressed with the tour and I think it would have been a completely different experience had it not been for the early entry and the tour, well worth getting up before 6am for!

Next we decided to grab some lunch. I had a place mapped out just outside the vatican city walls so we headed in that direction

Disaster though! It wasn’t there, I don’t think it had shut, I just think my pinned location was wrong on my gps. Adam was getting hangry now but I convinced him to suck it up and carry on to our next location as we had a lot of stuff to cover today

We soon arrived at Castel Sant'Angelo

there weren’t many food options so again I dragged a now sulking Adam inside.

There was a short queue here but we were soon in. Again we used our cards for discounted entry saving €3.50 (we had now saved enough money to cover the cost of it and then some so very much worth it for us!)

Adam chose to sit in a courtyard in the shade while I explored, he was flagging!

I managed to find my way back to him after a while and we headed up to the top levels. Here there was a cafe and so we decided to stop for some food. You can either sit in or take away. We chose to take away. You are basically paying to sit out on tables and admire the view but a short way around the corner you can sit on the ledges and enjoy just the same view… for free .

The sandwiches were ok and we were both much happier and less cranky afterwards

We spent a few hours here before crossing the river and walking a short way to our next location

June 15-Rome & Florence
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Palazzo Altemps, entry here was part of the national museum pass from a few days previous, we just had to show our tickets

ANOTHER museum. Adam couldn’t wait!

however it was rather beautiful

We had a bit of time now until we had to head to the food tour meeting place so we hung out for a bit in piazza navona, which was 2 minutes away from the palazzo

We headed into the church here, Sant'Agnese in Agone

Afterwards we sat on the steps for a little break. In fact it was such a much needed break I feel asleep on Adam’s shoulder. He woke me up though as apparently I was snoring, oops!

With time to spare we started walking towards Isola Tiberina before setting up camp again by the church there, this was the meeting spot for the Eating Italy food tour, we’d be going around Trastevere tonight as ANOTHER birthday treat!

It was getting close to the meeting time now so we started looking around, we spotted a guy with a clipboard who look like he might be the tour guide, in fact he was! We waited with him until the rest of our group turned up and chatted amongst ourselves. Two of the group were running late and would be meeting us at our first stop so off we went!

On the way our guide Francesco explain all about the area and pointed out little details unique to the area.

We soon reached our first tour stop Da Enzo al 29

Here we took our seats outside as our guide poured us each a glass of prosecco (I ended up with Adam’s) and a waitress served us a tasting plate.

Now melon and prosciutto is pretty much a staple at Italian buffets but this seemed a genuine first for the rest of our all american group. Which thinking about it is probably true since it’s not something I’ve ever seen at italian restaurants in america. A first for us though was the burrata. Unless it’s made fresh it’s not supposed to be very good and since it’s “leftover” from making fresh mozzarella it’s hardly surprisingly you rarely see it in main stream supermarkets. Safe to say though I’ll be seeking it out, AMAZING! it’s so creamy and delicious I wanted more. Unfortunately this being a “taster” there wasn’t much opportunity.

Halfway through the late couple arrived, an american couple from the east coast who were very apologetic and very loud. On discovering we were english she promptly inform me that I would be teaching her to speak like “princess kate” later. How she thought a common northern lass was going to teach her the queens english I have no idea but there you have it :P

Whilst we waited for the new members to finish their tasting we finished off the prosecco. Adam was keen to point out today was a “special birthday” for me so that resulted in a few too many spare glasses coming my way, oops, tipsy Hannah, AGAIN on the bubbly, I shall never learn!

Next we headed off as a group to Spirito Di Vino this was a lovely little place with a rather special wine cellar.

Special because although the building had been both a Synagogue and a restaurant the wine cellar dates back to BEFORE CHRIST! in fact it’s one of the only surviving structures in Rome that dates from before christ so it’s rather special to local historians who come to check on it regularly even if it’s not much to look at.

yep, old but important rock, 150 years OLDER than the colosseum

Here we were to sample and experience an “aperitivo” A meal before dinner which usually consists of small bites made with leftovers and pre-dinner drinks. In this instance we tried some lovely wine, so much so I took a picture of the bottle so I could try and find it at a later date!

and some different types of light bites.

As you can see it was rather dark down there, so much so that the darkness and my wine consumption was making me a little sleepy… despite my earlier “nap”.

After a lovely drunken chat with our fellow tour members we headed back out to daylight and we had a welcome walk to our next stop to recover.

June 15-Rome & Florence
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Next it was onto sweet things, Biscotti! lots and lots of them!

There were lots of different options here but the brutti ma buoni were my favourites, YUM!

While we enjoyed the biscuits the owner told us all about biscottificio Innocenti. It’s been going since 1920 and it had the most amazing retro oven I’ve ever seen!

I want one!

Next we wandered up the road to Antica Caciara.

Here we sampled pecorino, very like parmesan but saltier. In fact we use it at home instead as it’s tastier and cheaper :P

We tried a few different types, starting from very fresh to aged, so we could taste the difference, the oldest was extremely delicious!

A few doors down was Norcineria Iacozzilli.

here we all sampled some amazing Porchetta, served on warm soft bread.

I’m not a huge fan of fatty meats but this melted in your mouth, so much so that I forgot to take a picture before stuffing my face!

Next we walked passed a drinking fountain so that everyone could grab some water after the last two salty tastings.

Our next stop was a proper sit down meal at Enotecca Ferrara, it was a bit of a walk so we had chance to walk off the last few tastings.

We were here to try local wines and pasta dishes but I had to stop and take a picture of all the delights behind the counter first!

Again I forgot to take photos so I’ve pinched some from elsewhere. I did take a photo of a wine we tried and liked though… Again for future reference!

Here we tried Ravioli, gnocchi and cacio e pepe,. My favourite was the ravioli, it was so light and fresh.

We rested here for a while before making a move to our final two stops, which happened to only be a few doors down from each other.

It was starting to go dark now and the area was beginning to come alive with the weekend night crowd. In fact when we reached our next stop there was a big queue and lots of people coming and going on scooters, picking up their orders from the hole in the wall.

The object of everyones eagerness were these, Suppli

Now I had tried these a few nights ago but everyone’s are different and these, were apparently the freshest and the BEST!

I have to agree they were rather good!

Finally we walked a few yards down the road to an equally busy store. Here the offering was rather different… GELATO!

Francesco started by explaining what to avoid when it came to gelato in Rome.

Basically avoid this

he asked if any of us had tried “proper” roman gelato and I told him what we had tried so far. He thought they were good choices but explained that this, was still the best :P

We were allowed to choose 2 scoops of any flavour we liked, and there were LOTS!

I had a very chocolatey one and a pear and amaretto, which was more like a sorbet. Francesco was right, they were GREAT!

We sat outside with the rest of the group, talking about the flavours and other parts of the tour. Finally it was time to head off. It turned out that one of the solo travellers was staying around the corner from us at an airbnb apartment so we asked Francesco the best way to get back via bus and headed on our way together.

We talked a while about her travels, she was working her way through europe and gave us some excellent tips on Venice, another city we’d like to visit one day.

Finally we arrived at the Colosseum and we headed back together towards the hotel before parting ways.

Today had been a long day, very long, I hadn’t realised quite how long until I came to write it up in fact!

Tomorrow didn’t present much of a lie in though, we were up at the crack of dawn to catch a train to Florence, yippee!

FIT BIT STATS
29,757 steps
63 floors (wowser! )
20.62 km

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 08:58 AM.
Old 4 Aug 16, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Yay! What a day. The Vatican looks amazing.

Loving the food tour. We did a chicetti tour in Venice which was very relaxed and fun - particularly for our guide who got a free drink in every bar we visited!

There was us, an American couple who were on meds so couldn't drink alcohol but ate the food, and a French couple who didn't bother with the food but concentrated on the wine. Not propping up any national stereotypes at all then...

Looking forward to reading about Florence.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 16, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
day 5 posted!

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Food tour looks yummy!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Food tour looks yummy!
amazing, do it! they have 20% discount codes ever to often

June 15-Rome & Florence