Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
neil1489
Trainee Dibber

Gatwick Lounge - is it worth it ?

Hello All of on our 3rd trip to Florida in 3 months and we have got quite a good deal this time around so thinking of treating everyone in some way.

We have our hotel booked the night before our flight which includes breakfast and we will be arriving at Gatwick at about 9am for our flight which leaves just before 12.

We are a party of 2 adults and 3 children, just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on wether the lounges at Gatwick are worth it, if so what exactly do you get and which one is recommended ?

Thanks in advance
neil1489 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
neil1489
Trainee Dibber

Forgot to say - we are flying out of South Terminal
neil1489 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We used the no1 lounge once and whilst it was good they have made changes since and we wouldn't bother again. For less money you could have a good meal and a few drinks in the main area so I would say save your money for something else.
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Stringaa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We were considering it for when we go but for the cost I really don't think it's worth it. Would have ended up costing £100 for 4 us. Could get a really good sit down meal with drinks and buy loads of snacks for the plane etc for that. I never rate the food in lounges either but always feel obliged to have loads because you've paid for it!

Like others said would save the money and spend elsewhere 🙂
Stringaa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Rufus1
Excited about Disney

I wouldn't personally , return journey happy to use one but going out we arrive have some breakfast , look in the shops , relax people watch etc. last time we flew from Manchester the pilot and co pilot walked past and stopped so we had a chat with them about the flight ahed

for us going out we so excited the atmosphere of the airport is all part of it.
AKL& POR Riverside 2017
boardwalk and POR 2019
Rufus1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
so exited!
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We used my lounge in north terminal, but only because it was £10 per head with my caxton card. It was worth it at that price, but i doubt I'd pay more. I figured I'd pay a tenner for breakfast and coffee anyway so why not, and it was really nice having somewhere to wait but it's usually very overpriced. I'd never pay £100 for 4 of us. If you have a pre-paid caxton card though, check out their 'holiday extras' section for lounges and parking
so exited!  is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We used No 1 lounge last year, but as it was still being used by BA before they had their own it was pretty chaotic.
My lounge looked really nice and much quieter than the other one, so we would probably use that one.
Lots of people get discounts etc on lounges with different offers available so they do tend to get very busy now.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We used one at Gatwick last year as it was included with our Thomson premium economy flights and we were very disappointed. It was crowded, noisy and the coffee machines were broken. There was nowhere to sit so we decided to leave within 5 minutes. I certainly wouldn't pay for that experience and if you're looking for a treat, I'd suggest there are better places to treat yourselves!
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
We used one at Gatwick last year as it was included with our Thomson premium economy flights and we were very disappointed. It was crowded, noisy and the coffee machines were broken. There was nowhere to sit so we decided to leave within 5 minutes. I certainly wouldn't pay for that experience and if you're looking for a treat, I'd suggest there are better places to treat yourselves!

If it was before January then the lounges were crowded because both Virgin and British Airways closed theirs as they were in the process of changing terminals. We were flying from North Terminal with BA and were allowed to use My Lounge which is smaller but at least had good snacks and drinks. Now things have settled down I think you'll find they are much improved.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
South Roma
Trying for More Ears

Hi Neil,

Since the change of terminals at Gatwick, I hear the lounges are much quieter. We are off to FLA in a couple of weeks and have booked into the No 1 N terminal, so I will post on the DIBB how things are when we are there. There are a couple of other independent lounges – My Lounge and Aspire Lounge – both of which are cheaper than the No1. Afraid I have no experience of them but I am sure other DIBBers will be able to give you an idea of what they are like.

The AA (Automobile Assoc), are offering members a 15% discount on lounges and airport parking. Just log into the AA website and click on travel/airport parking/airport lounges. With the discount this makes the No 1 £25.50, My Lounge £15.30 and Aspire £16.14, per person. The AA are also offering the 15% off car rental for Alamo, National and Enterprise at:

theaa/rewards/offers/car-hire.jsp

Incidentally, if anyone is thinking of booking a No1 Lounge, and flying out before 31 March, there is a promo code - LOUNGE24 – which will give you lounge access for £24 (a saving of £6 at Gatwick) per person, including Premium Security (and unlimited prosecco!) for bookings through the No 1 website. This is applicable at all No 1 Lounges at Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Edinburgh. Bookings need to be made before 28 February.

Kind regards,

John
South Roma is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List